Upcoming Beta Removal - TerrainTools:ConvertTool

But even then, what is the point in removing the feature since there it’s not like the feature is clogging up the top-bar.

12 Likes

But they are maintaining the feature. They’re maintaining the API. The button is merely an action, and a small one at that, which calls an API that does all the heavy lifting.

All it needs to do is figure out if it should call :FillBall(), :FillBlock(), :FillCylinder() or :FillWedge(). It’s not an insurmountable task to maintain, as is demonstrated by the fact that Quenty’s plugin, linked in the announcement, was last updated over a year ago.

It’s not that I mind it being removed. It was extremely useful but not part of my daily workflow, unlike others in this thread. I’m just trying to understand why?

18 Likes

terrain arists are gonna suffer bruh

6 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree. I preferred this over having to add & keep another button on my bar. :expressionless:

8 Likes

I don’t like this update. This is just gonna make my toolbar waaayyyy too crowded. What they could to to help the problem with the problem of unsorted toolbars is to make a way to sort it. This will also hurt some developer’s workflow.

3 Likes

I rarely edit the terrain at all, but when I do, this feature is extremely useful, thus having to install additional third party plugin for that is pretty annoying because it will be unused 90% of the time while wasting the space in plugin bar (installing when needed and deleting after that might be an option, but its even worse)

6 Likes

I loved this feature! Why can’t we have it? I don’t always like using plugins, they can be a hassle to use.

4 Likes

You meant the voxel terrain or you built it before the removal of ConvertTool

What are you talking about? These plugins are very simple, some of them which work with different shapes just use mathematical operations. Converting terrain itself literally takes one line of code.

2 Likes

Personally, this change doesn’t affect me at all. I’ve been developing for over 4 years and in those time I’ve lived without a terrain convert tool in the the terrain menu. I’ve relied on a plugin to do so and it’s worked out flawlessly for me so far.

PeZsmistic hit the nail on the head: it has a resource cost to maintain it–especially since it’s currently a beta, and we’d need to do work to get it out of beta. We have bigger plans we think you’ll find more valuable that we’d rather work on.

3 Likes

While I have only used this tool once for fixing up a place with old terrain, we shouldn’t need to depend on plugins in order to accomplish functions like these. I think it would be better if the option was kept available (even if it needed to be enabled in the Settings somewhere?) until a better solution was provided.

However, if this is the most efficient option at the moment then I won’t oppose to it.

3 Likes

CC @JoshSedai

I understand that using resources to maintain features takes away from development of future features.

But considering the amount of effort Roblox goes to keep from deprecating old functionality, it is reasonable to assume this plugin would function appropriately with minor maintenance for years to come- while they work on this apparent new, better replacement.

They don’t, that is the problem.

I’ve installed 6~ other part to terrain plugins, including those listed as solutions in the OP. None of them are as easy and intuitive as the native plugin is to use.

I am eagerly awaiting better solutions, but I think it’s a bit silly to remove a beta feature because “usage is low” without offering a replacement with identical or better functionality.

4 Likes

We try to only introduce beta features that are mostly polished and ready to go, but features that are in beta should be treated as features that could still change significantly before (normally) release, or in this case, not getting released at all.

In this case a lot of unfortunate circumstances lined up, where the Convert to Terrain beta feature ended up being neglected for quite a long period. This left it in a state that we were not satisfied with shipping due to it no longer being aligned with our vision for terrain. Unfortunately, this leaves us with no great option:

1. Let the feature continue to rot in beta with no clear path to releasing it.

2. Spend some effort to release the feature from beta even though it’s not up to the standards that we want to strive for.

3. Spend a lot of developer and design effort to refresh the tool into a form we are happy with, which takes away from our other efforts, and still likely will result in a tool that meshes sub optimally with our future terrain plans.

4. Not ship the feature and force the small number of developers using it to migrate to community plugins.

11 Likes

Even though I don’t use this feature, neither I use the plugins I think it should not be removed. It will be good to offer this feature still because of new developers. In my opinion is good to have all in one place, rather than having to go and install a plugin just to convert a part to terrain. Also why was this thing in beta again? Does the terrain plugin uses lua or not? If it uses lua what were the reasons of having this feature in beta, cuz as far as I know there are existing methods that allows you to fill places with terrain?

Change of topic, I have noticed that the terrain editor is getting laggy with the time. Every time I open the terrain plugin my fps drops by a lot and lags. I had to install a plugin that has the old terrain editor.

2 Likes

That sucks, I really found this useful, perhaps allow plugins or make extensions section which can add their own functionality to the built-in plugins such as Terrain editor as long as the user confirms that they trust the plugin with adding buttons, textboxes, sliders and other UI components (not direct access to the GUI) instead of cluttering the plugin bar and having tons of plugins related to the terrain.

We need more customisation on the RibbonBar, currently plugijns are segregated to the Plugins tab. As it’s worth noting, Plugin Actions are registered using Qt keywords, however, we cant bind these to anything besides the plugin bar unless the RBXM is a BuiltIn and is referenced inside the EXE.

The private MCF Plugin has a way to organise plugins registered under it, however it’s patched together using some hacky methods.

2 Likes

Man, I was actually somewhat using this convert tool, Why is it having to go??? :frowning:
I didn’t see any problems with it and having it integrated into studio made it easier as we don’t have endless amounts of plugins clogging up the menu. It’s sad to see it go since I actually somewhat used it to convert part-only projects to part & terrain.

3 Likes

I use the region tools, if I had known that I could make terrain from parts it would have made past projects easier.

Yet another dum change Roblox makes without doing a proper voting system, I used the feature, The reason it’s not often used is because terrain doesn’t change often Plugings do not have the same support, They only do cubes while the built-in that you are removing had speare It allowed smooth terrain like no other, Please don’t remove this - The Devforum community

3 Likes