Upcoming Changes to Avatar Catalog Upload Requirements

I get the attempt of making the catalog less broken but this has way more disadvantages than anything good coming out of this and i will state some reasons why coming from a clothing designer.

Clothing Botters will still thrive

This will only actually discourage the people that don’t have much robux or money to begin with to mass upload or front page clothing which they aren’t really the main culprit of taking money from original designers. Most of these people aren’t even able to afford premium to upload in the first place. It’s the people that have a long history of front paging clothing assets to 80-90 robux that we have to look at here since they are doing the most damage to the catalog. Those bots or people that take their time of day to copy other peoples assets and shoot it up to the front page are STACKED with robux from doing this for months and even years, they will have hundred thousands and even millions of robux piled up to invest on front paging clothing.

If for example each clothing asset is 100 robux, which was the price to upload a T shirt when that ‘bug’ occurred, to upload all they need to do is get 2-3 clothing sales from front paging and pricing someone else’s work 80-90 robux to make up for that which they are already bidding about 50k+ robux to launch it to the front page in the first place. What is 100 robux to them anyway if they already invest so much more to get even more back? This fee will only affect users that lack robux and not people that carefully upload copied assets and just reuse the same old assets to front page until it dries out. This will actually help these people by only needing to buy one premium subscription to devex the robux profiting off of others instead of buying multiple premium subscriptions JUST to upload.

Unknown / Small clothing designers will struggle

People that are very new to designing or doesn’t have any connections to anyone will really struggle with this since they may only be able to upload 4 clothing pieces a month unless they luckily make something back. This may also affect how clothing groups that hire clothing designers work as well depending how they end up functioning with this update. Not sure how this will work out for clothing groups but it doesn’t look good.

How will this affect me as a clothing designer?

I’m someone that gets a somewhat stable amount of sales, so a small fee won’t hurt me too much assuming I already make enough to devex once every few months. It’d be nice to have this 30% tax fee removed on top of this because charging us for putting something on sale AND getting taxed every sale is a bit overboard? Just me though.

Suggestions~

featured clothing spot

I feel like there should be a featured designer spot for the catalog in the meantime since the catalog (front page) for clothing (shirt/pants/tshirts) is beyond broken and this change will only slow this down so slightly it won’t really be noticeable or benefit anybody that makes clothing as their main source of income on roblox.

upload limit

Also actually having an upload limit per month in place would slow down botting if it is implemented correctly. It’d probably have to be something where you have to be in the same IP for a certain amount of time before uploading. I’m thinking 10-20 clothing assets a month would be reasonable

nuking the entire clothing catalog and redo how it works

This would be the most beneficial to us designers since people that bot/mass upload for profit won’t benefit from it anymore if the way clothing is listed on the catalog page is more stable than it has been for the past years. People only mass upload clothing because they get crazy amounts of profit from doing so, and their main source is the front page… so why not actually tackle the main source before adding this price wall?

48 Likes

Those are all great points. I do really agree and want to elaborate on your statement about how this won’t be stopping bot accounts, which I agree with. For example, when someone searches something up on the catalog, botted results come up, not smaller and hardworking creators. The bot accounts are the ones who are actually making money in the industry, and the smaller and much more deserving creators are not. With that, this is having a far greater impact on the smaller creators who can not afford these changes than the bot accounts who will obviously find ways around this and will continue to thrive like they have in every other unsuccessful way Roblox has tried to prevent them.

10 Likes

This is for all clothing items, ie. shirts, pants, but unsure about T-Shirts.

2 Likes

I know Roblox is a for-profit business that wants users to purchase currency. This is just unacceptable in many ways due to the fact that most people want to Develop on the platform without hassle, but no this is just outrageous. What’s next? Is studio going to cost you 5$ to access it?

10 Likes

Yep. With easing prices, it will draw less sales to them. No matter what fee Roblox implements, it will disrupt the small creators far more than the bot accounts, the ones that this whole thing is trying to prevent.

4 Likes

I understand that lifetime premium users are a very small percentage of the Roblox community now, but I can’t help but feel dissatisfied with this change. Back when we purchased our lifetime BC, we all expected to keep features like shirt/pants uploading forever. It just feels wrong to make us pay for something that we already paid for many years ago… I hope something can be done for users like us.

22 Likes

Good points. I do think that when Roblox is trying to portray themselves as a pro-creator platform, they actually need to live up to it. They are doing a pretty bad job doing so currently.

2 Likes

As others have pointed out, 100 Robux is honestly a bit too much just to upload clothing. This fee will discourage small creators from starting out. Perhaps a limit similar to the UGC catalog could be implemented, where players could only put certain amounts of clothing per week or month.

3 Likes

These ludicrous conditions steer me farther away from wanting to be on the Roblox platform, and trust me it’s not just me who feels this way.

8 Likes

Agreed. These changes are dismantling things that are what drove me to the Roblox platform, and now are pushing me away.

3 Likes

Honestly I think this is so punishing to small content creators. When I started off on Roblox I certainly couldn’t imagine having the long line of necklace t-shirts I had by the time I stopped being active if there was a fee (especially 100 Robux) on uploads.

Additionally as a lifetime subscription purchaser I feel increasingly bothered by the way my purchase has been devalued over time. I’m not so much bothered by this being opened so others can upload, but am bothered I’ll be charged for something I already paid for. I already had my ability to upgrade taken away from me which was an advertised part of my purcahse, which was promised many times would be resolved but never was.

4 Likes

As a clothing designer I appreciate that Roblox is attempting to clean up the catalog, however I do not see how this as the way to do it.

Groups as large as mine can easily afford these fees, but for smaller groups this will be costly. It’s already hard enough to start a clothing group from scratch, and this will discourage it further. What’s to stop clothing copiers from simply paying the fees? I don’t see how this will fix the root of copying issues.

Instead of discouraging botting, I believe it would be better to promote original creators on the catalog. This could be similar to how UGC accessories are done, where creators must apply and be approved. There can be a section in the catalog dedicated to these original designers.

Hopefully this will help open some eyes to why this is not what needs to be done to fix the catalog. Aside from criticism, I really do appreciate that we will be able to test items in studio before uploading.

9 Likes

Big time agree with this. They have already stripped away other features we paid for while offering nothing more than, “well you’re lucky you get what you get still even though you paid money.” Advertised parts of the purchase, such as the abiltiy to “upgrade at any time” were taken away and never replaced. Asking lifetime subscription users to pay for uploads, which was a feature of their lifetime subscription seems dishonest and like double dipping.

10 Likes

I just did a little calculating with some things to see how much it would cost to make profit from selling clothes with these restrictions. First let’s say you sell your clothes for 5 :robux: each. You make 3.5 :robux: after the tax. Let’s now assume that each of your clothes sell 100 times. You would need 100 different clothes, running you around 10,000 :robux:. You would need to buy all that robux, costing at least $90. With all that, after spending that money, you DevEx. You make a solid $240. If you had premium using the current upload system, you would be making $345. Forget DevEx, for many small creators 100,000 :robux: is something that they don’t even think about considering how distant that is from reality. This is shameful and upsetting.

11 Likes

I really like that idea. Dedicating parts of the catalog as a ‘moderated’ section and towards approved creators could be a useful and successful feature to be added in the future. That way many of the actually hard working creators get the attention that is overdue.

2 Likes

This situation (again) reminds me of the Price Floor update back in mid-late 2013. This time however, players aren’t struggling to buy clothes, they’re going to struggle to MAKE these clothes. Mainly, smaller roblox shirt creators who have a hard time having a footing in the Roblox clothing business.

In fact, I can see how this new update can also cause players to become discouraged from making clothes at all! Paying a $100 Robux fee just for creating clothes is rather ridiculous, and I’m hoping it gets lowered a fair amount of this fee if its going to stay.

TL;DR This is a really, REALLY bad move on Roblox’s account, and I hope the fee will be considered to become lower than its bonkers $100 per piece.

2 Likes

Exactly. My group is so small right now most things get 0 sales anyways. but its 100 robux theres no way I could ever afford anything. Im going to make as many things as possible the rest of the year before i have to pay.

6 Likes

Good Update! :slight_smile: Wonder how much would you pay for a shirt cough cough please no 20 robux fee only 3 I am happy to see this I might use this for my game :slight_smile:

exactly i hate this. it may prevent copies but it stops designs from uploading.

6 Likes

@LANEYBUNNY11 you can finnally upload but its so expensive :confused:

3 Likes