Upcoming Changes To The Game Sorts & Submit New Sort Ideas!

Roblox wants to promote Rthro and other new technologies, and I cannot blame them.

I’d definitely agree to just rename the tab to “Early Adopters” and hiding it if it’s not in use at that time. This makes sense as the program is called Early Adopters.

1 Like

its not that i dislike rthro. I dont have a issue with it. its just that a lot ot users do not use it. and personally I would rather see newer games and more interesting games then just rthro supported games

1 Like

Roblox want to promote new features and games that use them, regardless of usership.

1 Like

Sure your right on this. But its just I feel like more games would have a chance to get known and out in the open if they either. Removed the rthro tab and replaced it entirely. With something such as “New titles”. Basically developers can apply to have their game on this tab if their game is fairly new.
Or they just add this and keep the rthro tab. I just really want to see new titles that smaller developers have made.

Your suggestion is a good idea, it was called the Featured sort until it became restricted to top-250 games.

Removing Early Adopters sort just won’t happen, but I believe they can/may/will just add another one, or remove a different one, as they did with top paid.

1 Like

This is because there are currently no useful tools on Roblox to help with searching games based on genre. Target audiences are a thing and players would definitely search for their favorite genres given the right tools

That is something else, which clearly isn't the case for all space fighter games. My elaboration is in the spoiler.

How you fight in a space fighter game can vary a lot. Instead of manning a spaceship alone by yourself, there can be teams of players that need to control specific parts of their team ship while having matching roles? Depending on how far one goes with this, it’ll definitely match the RPG genre. Or you could just have an RPG game with spacefighter gameplay as something to do inbetween the usual RPG stuff.

I think that when categorization by genre becomes more prominent, that the “All” tag would have to be abandoned all together. Because no game matches All genres. Not even if you make a sandbox role-playing game, which is probably the closest thing you’ll get to “All”.

Categorizing a game genre as “All” in order to have a game show up on the Popular Sort more easily should not be a worry to begin with in the first place. The “All” category should be rendered obsolete. Instead sorting sections like “Top Rated”, “Popular”, “Featured”, “Popular Near You” and so on should not factor game genre to begin with.

Game tagging is something to add to the user experience, not subtract. Tags could be used for searching games, as well as the “Recommended” section. Not more not less. It’s best that the sections like “Popular” don’t account for genre, which would prevent discoverability issues.

Deltave’s suggestion could be used to counter your point :point_down:

I’ll elaborate more on what comes to mind:

Tags can be mutually exclusive and having a sort of Order of Prominence in place for tags. This is done to push creators to describe what their game focuses on most using the limited set of tags, which would ideally be 3 (or 4). Since genre-mashing is far too difficult to successfully do past 3 styles of genres.
So let’s say you got space for only 3 tags, which should be enough for most games.

There would be 3 categories, and the available pool of tag labels lessens the further you go down the Order of Prominence , or Tags (and sub tags).

[Most Focused on Aspect] > [Selling point / Most important Mechanic] > [Theme]

some examples:
• [RPG] > [Fighting] > [Military]

• [Puzzle] > [Point and Click] > [Mystery]

• [Obby] > [User Generated] > [Comedy]

• [FPS] > [Massively Multiplayer / Large Servers] (see PlanetSide 2 as example) > [Sci-Fi]

• [FPS] > [Casual] > [Modern Day]

Each label within brackets can only be selected once, which means there can not be any duplicate themes. Additionally, Roblox could make a list of possible Labels for each Order of Prominence in order to avoid tags that are typed in by users. That could also avoid the issue of having case sensitive tags or tags that either use dashes instead of spaces. I think an approach like this would work best.

6 Likes

Something I would like to see is a way to search for uncopylocked games. As a developer who is starting out, it makes it easier to learn if you have a working example. When i was starting to script, I looked and edited uncopylocked games. Uncopylocked games are a great resource, but are really hard to find using roblox’s search system.

One good example is: https://www.roblox.com/games/151126378/Raining-Tacos

4 Likes

Here’s what we need.

A CATEGORIES SYSTEM.

So,

• Genres (revamped and working) that tells you the Kind of game:
    RPG, Shooter, Sports, Racing, Strategy, etc.

• Platforms as in Xbox, IOS, Oculus, etc

• Player Count, the Singleplayer games NEED this!

• and maybe a Tags system, which allows you to find games like: Open world, Social, etc

10 Likes

Genre sorts would be a wonderful addition. If I am recalling correctly, we can still set our games genre, it just doesn’t mean anything.

On top of that I’d like to see the ability to just straight up block games from coming up, as sometimes you see it everywhere and just don’t want to play it.

4 Likes

This actually sounds like an Amazing system for Genres!
Wish I thought/wrote about it myself. :slight_smile:

I’d just like to chime in that I think having slightly smaller icons would make it easier to navigate the sort.

I think you should definitely test a Horror sort, as horror games are very interesting and don’t get enough exposure.

1 Like

I think there should be at most, 12 categories.

Bolded : Non-Genre Games;
Italic : Genre Games;

Here’s My List In Order :

Popular

Featured

Highest-Rated

FPS

Sci-Fi

Horror

Adventure

Comedy

Medieval

RPG

Sports

Recommended

2 Likes

I feel as if this is a really good idea… but how, servers with 100 people are starting to lag, so how will 200 be fine???

I’m approaching this from primarily a player standpoint.

As it stands now, it’s difficult to discover new or upcoming games unless you take extra time to listen to the community or pay attention to social media where people might be talking about possible competitors to a game - for example, I never heard of Operation Scorpion until I went out of my way to find people talking about alternatives to Phantom Forces. One of my biggest problems with both the homepage sort and the standard Games sort is that it almost never suggests a game I’d want to play, or am interested in playing.

The above image contains three sorts - my favorites, the recommended sort I reached by getting to the “recommended” section on the player’s homepage, and the games page’s recommended section. This shows that the only metric that actually makes a game recommended automatically seems to be its popularity, not its relevance to whatever I’ve played or liked in the past, making it more challenging for me to find games. While I don’t show the “Recommended because you played $GAME” here, it’s been stuck on recommending me alternatives to the Mech Bloxxers game you see in the list, as that was the last game I left a like on. In short: My favorites and most played games are primarily fighting/combat and FPS games.

If your primary goals are to help players discover new experiences and help developers gather players seeking those experiences, genre sorts will help somewhat, but the recommendation sorts and algorithms need to be updated in order to take into account “what has this person played recently, what style of game is it, how much time did they spend there”, etc etc, rather than just spitting out what amounts to the most commonly played games on the platform. It makes zero sense that the recommended sort is like this, and I’ve tuned pretty much every recommendation avenue on the platform out because it’s useless to me.

6 Likes

A lot of people, don’t like Rythro to my knowledge. The Admins want people to use it, but it won’t be popular like R6

1 Like

People don’t “dislike” rthro. I see it being used a lot. And not many people give love to R15 (which is used in 99.9999% of all games now)

Rthro is just extended scaling for characters, many members of the community mistake it for the packages (which some people don’t like because…)

Roblox wants to promote people using their new technology, Rthro is one of their new technologies.

2 Likes

I mean, like I said it was to my knowledge, I haven’t played much games with Rythro support. I like to play certain games, That seem fun, and they don’t support Rythro, R15 is meh, people use it people don’t. 50/50

1 Like

Please, bring back the genre filter. There was no valid reason why it was removed and that really annoyed me the most (next being the removal of Tix).

5 Likes

This seems like a nice change. There are many unknown games out there that are amazing but for some reason, people just don’t play them. It would be nice to see some new games on the front page! (assuming that the popular section is not removed) :smile:

1 Like