Upcoming Underwater Lighting Improvements

That’s great - However, something I’d like to see is an event being triggered when the camera is underwater. Currently, there is no way to detect when a camera is underwater, so we cannot apply our own effects. Something like this would be really great :smiley:

4 Likes

We definitely want that feature in, It just adds the realism so much.

That’s a great idea! It’s already possible to do this with Region3s, but it isn’t very accurate. Making it event (something like Camera.EnteredWater) would be awesome!

thanks, from what is shown it looks great, lighting updates etc is something I’m always happy for.

(a bit off topic), I’m playing rise of the tomb raider, and using a mod called reshade it looks so much better, i sometimes wish things that other games do for lighting etc or a bit more better reflections (obviously roblox is a bit limited when it comes to realistic reflections as i seen in older posts), would be able to be possible with Roblox. who knows maybe a few years from now it would be possible to have those things

1 Like

This is pretty cool, but what about water reflections? It would seem more realistic if the ground could reflect the water and make the ripple effect as shown here:

23 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but couldn’t you maybe make a GIF and use the texture feature shown in this article to make that sort of reflection? I think it could work, however, I have never tried this.

None the less, if ROBLOX did add a feature so you didn’t have to go through that process, that would most certainly be a good idea.

3 Likes

This is a very nice improvement but reading the comments I see there are some complaints about it. What I’m really waiting for is for water terrain to be entirely separated from smooth terrain as they collide together in a broken way. (Aka when you try to make smooth shores of an island but the water makes it jaggy.

Nonetheless good that water terrain is getting some attention.

4 Likes

I’ve been trying to push this and have made several people aware that the limit of 1 is not enough. Being a well established and popular game that relies on underwater graphics I’m disappointed this hasn’t been implemented yet.

This (I assume) simple change will improve gameplay so much. A Transparency parameter of 1 that doesn’t provide 1 transparency doesn’t make any sense, and a transparency value of 0 glitches the underwater fog so there is no fog unless your camera is face to face with an object.

6 Likes

Could I check if the update has been tested in SharkBite yet?

4 Likes

That would be cool update for games. But we really want to make the water clear so we can see better!

1 Like

I could definitely see myself using this feature. I can see a bunch of horror games using this to make underwater segments to frighten the player.

3 Likes

OMG yes, this is what I wanted in my childhood, now subwater based games will be more realistics. Still, I am a little bit sad because if developers would have the full controll about terrain, then it would be better for us, but after I read the reason behind this I understand better. I am sad, but it still is a very good update.

2 Likes

Both are 2 different things. What you are showing are animations using one single umage, in other words 2D animations, but what @Nistrict want is the ability to distord the camera for adding reflections (or adding reflections to the water surface). You are showing 2D animations, but this are camera effects + Terrain modifications, and we already are very limited with terrain.

3 Likes

Ah alright, thank you for informing me.

2 Likes

Ohhh okay, thank you for asking first. Looks great btw, nice job and welcome to Roblox!

3 Likes

This looks SICKKK now wait for screen space reflections :flushed: those will make all games amazing

I have tested it a week or ago or so, and I waited for a night cycle. I didn’t see anything objectionable, but that’s subjective.

6 Likes

This looks amazing! When it releases I really want to try it out and see how it works.

1 Like

I can see water/fog interaction opening up new possibilities, such as disturbed sediments, otherworldly ecosystems, or sublimation from extreme cold.

Speaking of which, it’s been nine years since fog was first introduced, and there’s still no way to toggle it off completely. Is there a technical reason behind that (i.e. limitations within the rendering engine)?

1 Like

Just a heads up to everyone asking for the water ripple based lighting: Doing this effect physically accurately in real time is basically impossible, and even making a clever fake effect that looks similar is quite challenging, something that usually requires careful design for the particular scene in question. If you’re interested to read further: “Caustics” is the name for that kind of lighting effect.

So, don’t get your hopes up for that feature.

13 Likes