Extra tier wouldn’t help because there’s nothing special about ROBLOXCRITICAL in terms of how fast engineers find out about it anymore. I think initially engineers would be immediately notified whenever someone posted a ROBLOXCRITICAL bug, but 90% of bugs marked as that were not actually critical, so no notification anymore. Not only that, but the extra tier would probably be misused 90% of the time too.
There are a lot of problems with our current system for reporting bugs such as:
- Not being able to give developers the power to get in contact with engineers ASAP due to people who abuse it (not just ROBLOXCRITICAL issues)
- Not being able to keep developers posted on the status of bugs (is it being worked on? were there issues with the release? etc) because some people would abuse and pester staff because their issue isn’t being worked on ASAP
- Not being able to guarantee that every bug report is reviewed and filed internally because people abuse and post lots of duplicates / threads that aren’t actionable
We might be able to address those, but with greater privilege comes greater responsibility. In order to give developers access to items above, we would have to be very strict with bug reports – every one would have to be reviewed, similarly to the post approval process here or the “Discord Testers” discord server. This would mean no more “Roblox broke my game fix it” bug reports – you would have to spend more time making sure you had all necessary information in your bug report.
Not saying this is something we’d do, but if we were to look into it, how many of you would be interested in having to spend more effort on bug reports and in return getting better communication with engineers?
- Let me post whatever – I don’t care whether engineers read it/keep me posted
- Guarantee bugs are filed internally and keep me posted on their status – I’m okay with having to spend more effort making reports