{Update!} Castle Tycoon Feedback Thread

Hello all,

I’ve recently completed development of my new game, Castle Tycoon. After 4 months of work, it’s ready to be released to the public!

https://www.roblox.com/games/6807673095/Castle-Tycoon

I apologize for the default icons and thumbnails, I’m still working on new ones.

About the game
Castle Tycoon is the first “real” game I’ve ever developed before. At its heart, it’s a basic tycoon game. You can buy droppers for more gold, weapons, and expand and upgrade your fort. The game fits 4 players.

About the process
Castle Tycoon’s original source code came from a set of online tutorials. No kit was used. The game looked pretty cool in the tutorials, but when I began work on it, obvious flaws appeared. The game was impractical at best and unplayable at worst.

I was able to use my own coding knowledge and lots of help from the developer forum to fix the game. I had a lot of fun designing multiple aspects of the game, from building the buyable items and adding functionality through scripting, all the way to tweaking the lighting to get it just right.

In the Future…
Castle Tycoon is still… unfinished. Even though the game is perfectly playable as it is, I have a ton of ideas in my head for the game, and the Castle Tycoon I’m imagining for the future is nowhere near the Castle Tycoon that I’m presenting to you all now.

Anyways, I value any and all feedback on the game before I release it. I would love to know what I can improve on!

(One last thing… HUGE thanks to @MRKYLO20 for helping me out with scripting the game. There were several points in the process when I was stuck, and he came in and helped me figure it out.)

Hope you all are having a great day!

Edit: Added game Icon
Edit 2: Added game thumbnails
Edit 3: You can join the games group here
Edit 4: Updated the game, see below

4 Likes

congrats on completing the game!

1 Like

It’s nicely scripted, but I think that there could be some things that could be improved, such as the lighting and UI positioning!

2 Likes

Nice game. Looks well built. I just noticed some things

1. The buttons are floating
  2. Everything has the plastic material
  3. The shop doesn’t have a title (…)
  4. The lighting could be improved
    Also the GUi could be Improved (tweening)
    Anyways, well done :smiley:
1 Like

Its pretty nice overall the shop ui could use some work!

1 Like

Thank you all for the feedback! I will definitely work on the UI, as that seems to be a common consensus.

Could you expand on this a little more?

Great job @CJ_Nelson01! You have come far from where you first started, and have made a good game! My only problem is, I don’t think the script for the datastore is working, because it isn’t saving any money! Sadly I paid for the 1000 gold dev product and it didn’t save, so that’s a bummer. Thankfully you priced it reasonably, so I only lost 35 robux.

Sure,
The first thing I noticed is, that you have turned Global shadows off.
Enable it, and your game will look better.
Another thing to make the game better is to add a atmosphere.
If you want to always have good lighting settings (color + more) try this plugin out: Atmos - professional skyboxes and lighting - Roblox(sorry, it isn’t free)
Learn more about it: Atmos - professional skyboxes and lighting

1 Like

The datastore is disabled. The tycoon no longer saves your money. I disabled this so that players can come back for more. Also, all tycoons on Roblox operate like this.

Thanks for the suggestion @Esiduff!

1 Like

Ahh ok, I don’t actually play enough tycoon games to even know that :laughing:. I just might make it data save once you expand it a lot…

I added global shadows, and you were right! The whole thing looks much better.

Also, what about the ui could be improved?

1 Like

I recommend making the shop button not cut off like it is, having words directly against the side of the screen does not look good. Maybe when you click on the shop, you can have the shop tween from off the screen to the middle on the screen, and back when you turn it off. Just for starters…

1 Like

Oh and NICE icon by the way! :fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

Okay everyone,

Thanks for the awesome suggestions! I’ve made a list of changes I want to make, and am going to start working on them. Hopefully I can have all of these changes made in about two weeks. I’ll update this thread when I do.

1 Like

Update!

Ok, I updated the game based on everyone’s feedback. Let me know what you all think! In this update I added:

• A new shop icon (replacing text)

• Shop UI redesign with icons and a cleaner layout!

• Slightly updated map

2 Likes

NICE! I like it a lot, the only thing I recommend changing is the icon, to maybe a bag of some sort to fit the medieval theme, because I don’t feel like a shopping cart fits…

2 Likes