[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

sad this is bad for me, i cant set audio for public, now we can only see old sounds before march 22d, please let it back its annoying u need to go to universe id paste and need the audio id while before this update we could just add a audio for public or private for us, now our “set public” is gone, i bet that isn’t going to set that on

3 Likes

At the moment the universe ID won’t even work if you don’t have edit permissions to that place.

1 Like

The SFX library is a joke. I wanted an ambient refrigerator compressor sound and there’s almost a hundred audio for a fridge door, a few for a containers, yet absolutely zip for a running sound. I tried a whole bunch of different terms and still nothing. It’s disgusting how roblox “forgets” about this update and gives us nothing.

9 Likes

All of the audios I try to search up are made by Roblox. I do not want to be limited to what Roblox uploads. There are people who can make quality audios as well. It is just that devlopers can’t make audio public I think.

Does anyone know I website where I can make my own sound effects. That would be really cool.

4 Likes

At first I was happy with what was being done to soften the blow, but after months of waiting these changes to the original plan have not come into effect and it seems like aside from some sound effects being spared, the update went ahead as originally planned. This disregard for community opinion within Roblox is the single worst problem with the platform.

I own a game which relies very heavily on audio to create immersive environments, and the audio library in its current state is absolutely appalling. It is practically impossible to find a sound effect amid the tidal wave of Roblox uploaded “replacements” that do not have any variation and are just blocking the discovery of decent sound effects. This coupled with the inability to make audios public (after 5 months?!) essentially makes the library a paperweight (let’s not even mention the irrelevant search results). We also cannot filter out the endless stream of Roblox uploaded audios despite being able to filter everything else out (which totally isn’t sacrificing developer experience in the name of shoving the bandaid fix in our faces). I’m no sound designer, and trying to find decent sound effects to upload is a chore in itself.

The impact of this update originally resulted in me having to close one of my older and more successful games because of the sheer lack of replacement audios and the short time period we were given to replace them.
After so much time the state of the library has not improved and Roblox need to put an end to this radio silence and give us an update, it still poses an issue for us and still needs to be addressed.

11 Likes

Read that third sentence carefully. They said they were still working to address our feedback but I’m pretty sure this was the very last time we’ve heard from Roblox regarding audio privacy, and some people are saying the update is all over and done with (which I sort of understand), but the configure page of our assets still hints that another big improvement is to come. They seriously need to consider either fulfilling this promise and/or being more honest with their creators going forward; for instance, the reasoning they gave for the removal of the physical product program is also very confusing and something I’m not sure many creators understand.

Okay, it’s been 7 months since the privatization was announced and still no further response about making audio public or otherwise improving audio permissions to grant access to games you aren’t able to edit; I really want to know what they are doing at this point as this is a very simple overdue solution, and if it’s all implemented the audio privacy system will be much better, creators will indeed have more control over their audio, and with the help of improved audio screening, we can pretend the update was simply a slightly worse repeat of 6/18/2018.

4 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 4.16.39 PM

This aged perfectly, lol

10 Likes

Just found out that Roblox recently updated the level-up info page to confirm that Regular is currently invitation only…
I wonder if this will also be the case for setting audio to public… :disappointed:

3 Likes

Are we going to get it this year?

1 Like

I do understand where you’re coming from but aren’t the 100 free audio uploads giving you the ability to find your own SFX online for that?

Not when I get falsely banned for uploading audios that aren’t inappropriate or copyrighted.

2 Likes

I experienced audios getting deleted for false positives and a warning right afterwards, but I can’t say I was ever banned wrongfully for that, if it happened to you then sorry to hear about that.

I’d like to restate what I’ve posted in my developer discussion post here so that hopefully somebody with authority at Roblox actually reads it. It has been nearly 6 months since we’ve been forced to make our audio private, and we still have no way of allowing other people to use it without edit permissions in their experience. The fact we can’t make audio public at this point is unacceptable.

At the very least users should be able to whitelist specific experiences to use their audio, regardless of if they have edit permissions or not. From personal experience, I have contacted a creator who would absolutely give me permission to use the audio they uploaded, however they are unable to do so without me giving them full access to my game, which as many of you probably know, isn’t something you should ever do. Why should we have to reupload other people’s work (with their permission) just so we can use what they have already created and uploaded to the platform?

Roblox, it’s been 6 months, its finally time you give us permission to make our audio public, or do SOMETHING about this horrible treatment. This isn’t powering imagination.

13 Likes

I highly doubt we’ll even get it this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if we have to wait until at LEAST early 2024 for the ability to publish audios publicly to the Marketplace.

Believe it or not I don’t think they’re even using that slogan anymore; now their only official goal is to “reimagine how we come together.” They are actively competing to be the metaverse while nowadays putting their corporation first. Roblox has the potential to be an excellent platform for game development due to having a large number of engaged users, they just might not be doing enough to help.

1 Like

Several months in and this never happened…
We do need privacy for images (obviously in a much less destructive way) and we still have no word on publishing authentic audio to the marketplace…

2 Likes

Seriously, they’re consistently pushing out updates, and have done NOTHING for audio. So much non music audio is STILL forced private and the sfx library is pathetic since it has absolutely nothing I look for on it, NOTHING. Every time I try to upload a sound, it feels like playing russian roulette wondering if I’ll get banned or not. The search is still absolutely hair ripping, since audios I know exist and are public will not show up in search, even if I type the exact title. This continuously proves to be one of the worst updates.

4 Likes

Terrible update. New and old group developers and solo developers can no longer have a reliable source of Ambience, Sound effects, Music, etc. I find it very annoying to have to completely outsource to find new audio and have none of my previously owned/used audios no longer work in my games.
ROBLOX tried to stop the Song Bypass problems and in result just made the overall situation so much worse. Thanks ROBLOX I love it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Roblox has unfortunately refused to give us any information on when that will happen, yet the configure page still hints they eventually will. I feel like a temporary solution would be to allow newly uploaded assets that qualify as SFX to be set to public as that isn’t possible right now; only the handful of old sounds under 6s and a very small number of old longer SFX were exempt from the update, and everything new is restricted to private regardless of whether they think it is music.

I’m certain there are a lot of sound designers that actually want to upload their music and freely share it with the community yet Roblox won’t let them publish it as of right now and instead we have to deal with what you’d expect to be like, 700 million sounds of many different types but is in reality around 300,000 of searchable generic music and questionable SFX, and having to be 13+ and verified by ID or phone to upload 10x more each month. (I get why they traded out fees for limits but it’s a bit strict)

The new permission system is a miracle, but we can’t use any specific experience, either only out of the ones we can edit or an irreversible blanket public permission (which again, isn’t out yet for unclear reasons and was only auto-applied to the handful of old audio that was exempt). For example if someone wanted to allow their audio into my game, I’d have to give that person edit access to the entire game (allowing them to do just about anything with it including give it a virus).

Just only one or two things has to be done and then Roblox’s claims about this giving us more control over our sounds can be true (since new uploads default to private).

3 Likes