[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

The compensation is a grey area. It is nice to have a way to freely upload audio and make badges without having to spend 100 robux just to make one, but there was a lot of good music I had saved as IDs, and now pretty much all of my old sound IDs don’t work outside of their creators’ games. So much music I really loved using in other games, down the drain.

I can only imagine an alternate universe where artists were more generous and kept Roblox in the green…

1 Like

Maybe Roblox can work a deal with the record labels/artists? I proposed this in an earlier post here.

2 Likes

half life 3 is going to release before they allow you to make public audios

6 Likes

Yeah, Roblox ruins people’s memories.

1 Like

God, this update SUUUUUCKS. What sucks the most is how radio silent they’ve been about this, I wish they would be more transparent about things that are in the works (or things that aren’t).

And it makes absolutely zero sense for audios less than six seconds to be privated, those at the very least, should be allowed to be made public whenever since there’s no way in hell you can bypass a song that is 6 seconds long.

10 Likes

I know we were all expecting this outcome (and we have not won yet) but we finally got an official statement!

EDIT: The author (staff member) of the new audio-related announcement actually left a like on my reply to their statement (you have to read it to see why I’m shocked).

3 Likes

they should rename roblox to “church” after this update

because its always so quiet in a church

Idk about that…
I’m not sure if it’s a good idea

Certainly agree with you. This update sucks very much

rip 300 robux i spent on radio gamepass :speaking_head:

2 Likes

OMG, you spent 300 Robux and it was wasted? How dare you Roblox.

3 Likes

yes
Zrzut ekranu (176)

1 Like

It was working fine before the update, now our
robux is gone. How could you Roblox? Because of this audio update you closed many games that had that audio in it and radio gamepasses just stopped working! That means people’s robux were wasted!

2 Likes

honestly there are still some public audios

and some people got permission to upload public audios

how?

they had to sign their name under lots of contracts and then roblox gained their trust ynow legal bs and crap (owner of Clippsly group also had zoom meetings with roblox staff)
Clippsly is a group that uploads public audios to roblox

well I dont like their music and all of the music that i actually did like is now private because of privacy update so that still sucks alot

Why roblox, just why?

This player spent 300 Robux on his radio gamepass. Thanks audio update for making this player lose his audio.

3 Likes

counter strike 2 released faster than roblox reverting this stupid audio privacy update

I still gotta wait for GTA 6 to release tho

3 Likes

This would definitely help for developers who want to use popular copyrighted assets, but it wouldn’t really do much for radio users, as the game creator can only play audio which they own or can get from the marketplace, and radio users are locked to using whatever audio is allowed for the game creator.

If there was a way for Roblox to permit audio that a radio user owns and the game creator doesn’t, that could actually really help. It could work by firstly checking if the user is in the current server, then check for ownership. If both check out, then the audio can effectively load. If the user leaves, then the audio expires immediately.

Considering how the profits of assets tend to be cut by extreme amounts, this kind of audio would have to give around 90% of the profit from the audio to the artist, and that profit would have to be immediately converted to a real currency like USD, as these artists don’t really concern themselves about a digital currency which get cut in many different ways and directions.

2 Likes

Why are you people complaining about this update? I personally believe this is the best update that has ever been added to the platform.

I have been begging on my knees for this update for years. It has been my dream for this, and I’m glad they’re dragging it out as long as they possibly can. I honestly hope they keep it this way.

For a long time we had no response on when the “temporary pause” on distributing audio on the marketplace and to friends / groups would end. The way this change was handled made it one of the most harsh changes (with a couple benefits) in the platform’s history likely done abruptly in the name of money since the reason was kept secret. They did an okay job warning us about it but could’ve also warned us on the website or even through emails, and they could’ve told us right away that it was “necessary” and that the deadline could not be changed.
Only recently did we receive replies in other threads confirming that they’re aware of the issue and how long it’s been and that it’ll take a little more time.

We haven’t won this battle yet and we are not backing down. I will help keep this thread open until they close it manually, or until the issues are resolved.

3 Likes

I don’t think you understand, I want this update. This was my dream that has come true. I hope it takes years for this change to be updated.