[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Is it just me or do the audio upload limits look discriminatory?

Creators under 13 can’t upload more than 10 per month and 13+ creators can only upload more than 10 per month if they verify their ID (unless they get the secret 2000 per month). Age restrictions have been an understandable thing for the different levels of chat filtering, but audio uploads? Really?

Despite the theory of it combatting bots, I feel like it should have been a Premium benefit instead, or, repetitive uploads could have costed Robux like badges.

7 Likes

This was exactly what many creators needed. Thank you for the hard work and support!

5 Likes

The 100,000 sfx they are uploading tonight will knock a huge dent in the number of required uploads for a lot of games that can swap out their sfx.(even if its temporary while they wait for more upload slots)

4 Likes

The issue with stock SFX is that while they do cover general use cases, it’s similar to the song situation. Yes, you can listen to a song similar to your favorite song, but it won’t feel the same.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update, this info helps a bit i guess.

1 Like

Gonna go ahead and follow up on this post here from the earlier one:

I think everyone at this point is literally curious about this CRUCIAL update, and I’m personally glad that ROBLOX finally took the time to respond back with an update about this whole situation here as it affects us as Developers as a whole

But I suppose it’s time to yet again dig deeper into the whole thing :thinking:

This is what I was most worried about, and it’s not much, but it’s definitely an improvement past that < 6s duration before an Audio gets set to private so kudos to that :slightly_smiling_face:

Having to handle Sounds from every experience is Crucial, like I’d assume over 90% of Experiences use Sounds that are > 6s of duration, so I’m glad that it’ll be rolling soon and the > 6s won’t be a permanent change

This is unique I’d say for the very least, as it’ll definitely bring out a ton of new SFX for players to use in their Experiences :thinking: But the more worried thing for me personally, is if Developers will use a lot of sounds such as these (Especially knowing what happened last time with ROBLOX’s Audio) cause we’re used to searching for other Sounds created by other users

Regardless though it’s a nice change

The Free Audio was definitely 1 of the best changes you’ve made ever since the Free Badge Creations, but of course it does have its pros & cons

The 1 thing that worries me about Free Audio, is how much countless amounts of the same duplicate Song Name will pop up (Especially if Bots can manage to bypass the system)

Overall though we’re glad to receive an update such as this, and 1 more suggestion I might add

1 - Re-organize the Audio Library

I completely mean no offense in any way, but the Official ROBLOX Library as it is now is just a complete cluster of duplicate Sounds, and countless names that don’t meet all of our criteria

I want to find a Song that’s not ROBLOX licensed, but instead I get this that just spams the Library:

If you could possibly re-organize the Library somewhere along like, it searches for the most valid & accurate results you’re trying to find for (And if it can’t, bring out the licensed ROBLOX sounds), cause the Audio Library as it is now isn’t really the best suffice to say

Even a couple of your licensed songs literally got copyrighted claimed for whatever reason, so please consider that as well

21 Likes

That’d be cool if we could actually find them. There’s already a feature request and development discussion about how hard it is to find relevant results. You’re basically tossing in 100k more items into the pile of god knows what the library is.

8 Likes

Excellent! Thank you. This alleviates a lot of the workload.

1 Like

The only thing I’m concerned about now is the new audio copyright detector implemented. Random audios are getting copyrighted and I also seen how this guy on the DevForums said how he made a soundtrack and uploaded it to Roblox just to get a message saying that it was removed for copyright when he literally made it?? Hell, a Monstercat audio provided by you guys was removed for copyright too, you guys have to improve your system.

14 Likes

Like many developers said Thank you!

I think it’s better then just saying that all audio more then 6 sec long will be privated. I don’t think I’m the only one happy their are SFX for free now, but you did say that you where adding them. This is better and I’m happy that you didn’t just ignore us

2 Likes

I don’t have any good reasons to put much faith in the quality of the sound effects. Hell, I seriously doubt I would even be able to find what I need/want thanks to the horrifyingly low quality of the toolbox’s search feature.

1 Like

https://www.roblox.com/develop/library?CatalogContext=2&CreatorID=1&Keyword=water%20sfx&SortAggregation=5&LegendExpanded=true&Category=9
The water sfx is already uploaded, so you can check it out for yourself.

On the topic of the horrible search engine, I definitely agree with that. If Roblox doesn’t do something about that soon, I have a feeling that the community might.

Concerns:
Only problem I still see rising from this is it affecting music that wasn’t created by anyone with a license.
Like how Funky Friday and Robeats share music created for FNF (Fan songs, not the ones from the vanilla game)

Question(s):
1. Would we still be able to use those fan creations if we aren’t the ones who created/uploaded the music to our accounts?
2. Are these audios going to stay private or will they be deleted for “copyright”, despite not having a license to be labelled copyright?
3. Will users still be allowed to upload songs that have no license for other creators to use?

Personal assumption:
From what I read it feels like this change will still affect games like Funky Friday and Robeats of course. But I also feel concerned that we won’t be able to use the existing audios because they might be private/deleted because of “copyright” despite no license for it to be labelled as copyright.

5 Likes

Thank you for clarifying the situation. I have a question about the permission system hopefully a staff member can clarify for me though.

I have an experience hosted on my profile and is not a group game. If I gave edit access to another person, would that give the experience permission to use said’s person audio?

From how that paragraph was phrased, it seems to only affect group games which if it is, I am very disappointed.

For reference, my problem is in this post in the previous thread

2 Likes

That sounds like it’s exclusively the uploaders decision on which games they want the audio to be used on. I’m asking this because some audios are used by other creators from the toolbox so you can’t directly message them and expect a response.

Also everything created technically has some level of copyright. Even fan work has copyright by default. Whether that copyright is realized and protected is another thing and copyright laws can get quite complicated. Even if a friend sends you something like an audio recording for a voice line, that’s technically copyrighted and you’d need their legal permission to use it commercially.

But in terms of audio that isn’t owned by the uploader, and the usage allows for open-use (or you otherwise have permission to use it), you could just reupload the audio.

1 Like

This makes things a bit clearer, I’ll be looking forward to see any more updates regarding this. I’m happy that we’ll need not to upload audios to the group again if we’re working on a group game.

Still my concern about using it on other games without permission from the uploader still exists, like boomboxes, for example.

As far as I understand it, audio will have permission settings that you’ll be able to adjust. Sort of like a whitelist of what games or groups will be allowed to use it. Everything will be set to uploader only by default after this update (privated).

I’m glad that all of these issues with the update were addressed!