[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

This is still not good enough, it’s amazing that you listened but I am worried about older games that do not get updated having their music removed, this is a huge problem and will ruin many many many games still.

7 Likes

I am really really worried for this update, it no doubt will cause a lot of havoc when it releases. I still have hope that roblox will do something about this, I honestly don’t understand why some people are happy about this update.

2 Likes

Just because we took copyrighted music from the toolbox doesn’t mean our games should be punished. I agree

4 Likes

The sound effects are the only good part of the update the rest is trash the sound effects are nice and long which allows for some realistic sounds but other then that this update is still completly trash.

1 Like

Well… actually maybe im wrong but I don’t know that’s how I feel

I guess that makes things a little less worse
thanks for responding?

1 Like

It affecting music is still a huge problem, I don’t know why people have just suddenly changed sides and are now worshiping Roblox. Sure it’s better, but it’s not good enough. lots of games use music, and a ton of them will NOT be updated and just be left silent.

8 Likes

I can’t get past this question whether I put a number in or not.

3 Likes

Thank you for the follow up! Even though I was pro change, it’s great to see Roblox listening to the community!

Hey, I don’t want to come off as rude, but it’s incredibly unprofessional and inconsiderate to wait this long to announce such a drastic change, which is devastating for a large portion of your community, with such little time to adapt.

Apart from that, I find it incredibly odd Roblox decided this was the best decision. Imagine all the unmaintained games which are still generating revenue for Roblox, that’ll be hurt by this change. There seem to be numerous alternative solutions to this issue, which would’ve benefited everyone, including Roblox, but this one was chosen.

Additionally, I find it odd that the real reason this change is happening was never mentioned, even in the original post. Roblox was sued by the major Music Publishers over a year ago and it seems this was the outcome. When I read the first post on the Audio Changes, I thought Roblox was doing this as a sorta Privacy Initiative to help creators, but that’s not the actual reason this is happening…

Lastly, this update actually doesn’t negatively impact me at all. I’m actually happy about a few of the different changes like: Free Uploads, Free Professional Sounds, and more. This update certainly benefits me entirely with no negatives, but I really wanted to voice my opinion after seeing a lot of others’ feedback. Roblox really handled this situation poorly…

17 Likes

Did you even read the post? It’s saying there’s a permission system coming so you as the owner (or someone with edit permissions) of an audio can grant permission for experiences to use your audio. If you did read the post, how is that a bad thing?

1 Like

Personally I don’t want to say it but it feels slightly true that roblox is just based on copyrighted everything. Many games on the front page have direct copyright issues. I could list for ages HUGE games that have made TONS of money that are 1000% based on some other game on steam or some other app on the app store. If roblox took away all of these it might just be a old blocky game with only a few good games but a lot of hype would die off.

7 Likes

Lets say someone uploads a copyrighted song to their account for personal use.
Would that sound get moderated right away, as it’s copyrighted?

You seem to be only talking about the upsides of this update, the fact that a lot of games will no longer have music and not get updated is not a thing to be happy about and should be addressed by us who are able to post on the dev forum. Why should developers be punished for simply using audio from the toolbox that was provided for them for several, several years.

Also not to mention that lots of people will probably get their accounts moderated for uploading audios even if they are not inappropriate. Due to Roblox moderation not being the greatest. And also who wants to upload thousands of audios to their account? that’s just wasted time that could be used on making updates for your games.

The whole lawsuit was Roblox’s fault for not properly moderating and removing copyrighted audio in the first place, and now WE are the ones suffering.

9 Likes

I will avoid making an essay of a reply as it will probably not even be read. I do not really like already-existing audio being privated as it breaks a lot of games, but I guess that isn’t something that is in my control. What I do ask for at least is to add a button where you can “reupload” all assets that would be taken down so we do not have to manually track each and every asset and then reupload it. Something like that would make our lives much much easier.

4 Likes

How about the fact that your still falsely removing royalty-free music? I’ve tried to upload two different audios that are licensed with the Creative Commons Attribution license, and yet they still get removed. The “experts” that were tasked with my problem via the support emails ended up saying they can’t help me any further and gave me no useful information.

5 Likes

Thanks for the clarifications and changes, the update is less stressful now, and i’m glad that finding SFX will be much easier than before.

It would really be appreciated to be able to see exactly what material taken down for copyright is actually getting matched with, similar to other platforms like Youtube. Reuploading audio you own the rights to is a minefield right now with how trigger happy the copyright detection bot has been, and it doesn’t help that support seems to be generally very uncooperative with most developers about this.

This is way better then before, the clarification helps a lot too

It’s better than before, but still not good. I hope you guys increase the upload limits for accounts that are both verified with email and a phone number.

1 Like