[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

This is going to take some getting used to… for sure!

What if the experience is under the user but the user also owns the group, in which the audios are uploaded? Since the group is owned by the user, the audio was upload by the user to their group, and the experience is also owned by the user, would audios still function properly under these circumstances?

Is there an exact time until this is applied?

3 Likes

Tomorrow marks the end of ancient Roblox games, and troubles for the modern day ones.

I know a lot of developers here, including myself, are not very happy with this. But we have to keep in mind, this change is necessary and it’s quite obvious even Roblox Corporation doesn’t really want to do this either. However, they really have no other alternative choice at all, as they’ve very likely went through before announcing this audio change.

When a change like this is announced, we must remember that it’s not necessarily there for no reason, but it’s the right path forward.

With that said, I highly suggest every developer to start finding their alternatives, such as making their own music rather than heavily relying on catalog music. Plus, there are some benifits to it. You’ll automatically gain a skill of music composing and creation. Always remember that nothing is impossible and there is always a workaround.

@OH_202020

7 Likes

I believe they said older games would be fine, as the way they had the audio system back then

Hold on one moment, does clicking “Grant Permissions” on the publish screen make it so that the audio will still work?? Because that would solve all of my problems if that were true.

Never mind, just tried it, and it only works for audios uploaded by people with edit access. :cry:

It doesn’t matter what Roblox does. Anything that is loaded on the client can be stolen. And there is nothing Roblox or you can do to stop that.

Extremely tired and sleep deprived as I’m writing this so prepare for a lot of poor reasoning, but here’s my final desperate plea the night before this change will be rolled out. Normally in my other posts I have attempted to approach the situation in a more collected manner, but in all honesty after replacing almost hundreds of audios I really have to voice my frustration.

There should not be any reason that one of the other myriad of ways to go about this could not be implemented in place of this absolutely atrociously ridiculous and terribly convoluted implementation of partially muting half of the games on the entire platform and making sound design a nightmare, not to mention having developers replace each affected audio individually by hand forcing developers to compensate for this change manually within a time frame as short as this while some developers do not actually have the resources to fix their audios in the first place with the upload limit. Legacy games with inactive developers will stay awkwardly half-mute likely permanently unless this change is somehow reconsidered. Words cannot convey how extremely disappointed I am that this is still likely rolling out despite the overwhelmingly negative response. I realize that Roblox’s hand has likely been forced but that doesn’t make it any less frustrating.

Though I do appreciate the effort, these small tweaks to the original privacy changes don’t really do anything to soften the blow whatsoever. The vast majority of stock sound effects uploaded automatically are extremely low quality audios that don’t flow well in games whatsoever. Most of these stock sound effects exist for all the completely wrong sounds as opposed to more commonly used and more useful sound effects and it doesn’t help that they completely flood the library with pages upon pages of almost identical variations of the same stock sound effects which I, in all honesty, very much wish I could filter out as spam rather than actually use most of them. This is intensified when you consider that the few audios out of these sounds that are actually useful are hidden within their ridiculous numbers flooding the entire catalog, making it hard to also find good audio uploaded by players as well. The attempt at whitelisting sound effects manually from the change is a good idea on paper and those on the team responsible for this are likely doing an amazing job of it however it only seems to be applied to well-known public audios (which is highly disappointing considering a large portion of audios I’ve used in games are off sale from when they were available on the catalog) which is a small fraction of audios which developers actually use. Highly doubt that any audio I use particularly will be saved by this.

While I’m unsure whether this is reasonable to be paranoid of or not as my understanding of the change as a whole isn’t as full as I’d like it to be, I’ve also found a growing fear in that audio which was already offsale before this change took place will become unusable regardless of whether it’s above the 6 second mark or not which would make this change infinitely more agonizing than it already is, although that hasn’t been covered in these posts to my knowledge. This might be irrational to worry about and it may have been already covered and I just missed it, but it is concerning.

25 Likes

Do we know when we will be able to make our audios public, and what requirements there are to make audios we upload public? I have a lot of audios uploaded on my account I wish to make public so games that use them are able to do so beyond this March 22nd update.

The day of the update, woohoo…

I honestly felt like this update would’ve been better if privacy was an option rather than being forced onto everything. Anyone who wanted to come back to Roblox to private their sounds they wouldn’t want people using, would do so, while others could leave their sounds unprivated if they didn’t mind people using their sounds. Also, there’s already ways for people to rip the sounds they want and reupload them, so this update is practically useless and has a greater negative impact than positive.
I’m all for the protection of creator’s property, but this just isn’t the way.

It’s 1 in the morning as of writing this but I had to get my thoughts in before this actually rolled out.
Sigh.

7 Likes

It is true that the way they have done it hurts many developers, but surely they have done it to discard copyrighted sounds. The meshes and models would be different and more adaptable to the needs of each developer.

1 Like

We would be talking about the same thing as audio, which can be stolen but thanks to the new privacy cannot be used in other places to which it does not have playback permissions.

1 Like

Something I just thought of.

Does this update affect audio that a user has in their inventory? If a person has “bought” an audio that someone else made then they should be able to use it.

I have a lot of audio from 2015/2016(?) all the way up to now that I would hate to not be able to listen to if they haven’t been taken down due to copyright reasons and such.

1 Like

I’ve allowed this audio asset of mine to be used in an experience not owned by me, but I have edit access to.

However, in the Audio Discovery section, it still shows up with a red cross, meaning I have to replace it.
No prompt saying that I need to give audio permissions when I publish the experience pops up. The audio still plays fine.

Is this intentional, or just a visual bug? Please inform ASAP Roblox dev team, thanks!

1 Like

Um I’m sorry but did the update do go out yet? It’s currently 6 am for me and I went to check my game to make sure it still works

Everything still works fine but……

I have 1 audio that’s not owned by me and is 100 seconds long (because I ran out of time trying to replace it) AND IT STILL WORKS???

Please don’t tell me I wasted my whole week replacing every audio in my game for nothing

1 Like

It’s 3 AM in San Mateo where ROBLOX is based at, maybe give a couple more hours and then hell will dawn upon us.

3 Likes

They can’t do that with models, models get replicated to the client, it’s like the whole local scripts thing.

For meshes however, they can protect the download link we use to download assets from Roblox with the privacy change.

The only way models could stay protected is if they are never put in a game in the first place, because there is no point in keeping one in server only services.

1 Like

Oh no…… The audio update is coming…

Nope I just played a musical chairs game which changes the music every 10 seconds and there’s no music anymore ( /console also shows failed to download audio )

So if the update is officially released, WHY AM I ABLE TO USE AUDIO THATS NOT OWNED BY ME???

Yes I can no longer find the audio when I search on the library,
But I actually have the audio in my inventory, so is that the reason I’m still able to use it?

When I get home from school I’m gonna test all the audio I have that isn’t uploaded by me that’s in my inventory if it still works

1 Like

I’d like to know if we have a way to grant permission more smoothly and efficiently.

When we publish a place that contains audios the place owner doesn’t own (group games included), we get a warn pop-up and a “grant permission” button option, does that mean we are granting the audios we own to be used in said place?

This would save me, as well as other developers a lot of time, let’s see if that’ll happen when this update drops anytime now.

Also this is pretty nice, thanks

1 Like