[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

One thing I appreciate is the fact audios don’t take as long to review as they did the first day the upload fee was removed.

However 10 uploads per month, no matter the circumstances of one’s account and history, is a joke.

I really suggest increasing the minimum amount to something like 35+ (at least ONE audio and a bit more per day!) and bring back a reasonable fee to bypass this limit, please!

I can imagine the upload fee probably being one of the reasons this copyright issue has happened, but if that’s the case, then it’d make sense to give us more free uploads, right?

2 Likes

I made a tutorial a while back that shows how you can download assets like audio before (and maybe after?) the Asset Privacy update.

I suggest looking into this while you still can, as it might not be possible in a few hours.

If you know of any uncopylocked games or places that use Toolbox audio, I suggest archiving those as soon as possible.

5 Likes

It depends because they want to make sure people don’t spam upload audio(the price was so people didn’t do that, but now that is gone). If they gave people more audio, their servers would be overflowing with new audio uploads to moderate. They want to make sure that if its a bot they only get 10 uploads. A bot can’t ID verify to get 100. This is just a theory it might not be correct, but it seems that way. I’m sure at some point, developers who have proven to not be bots will definitely get their 2000 upload limit.

Why you give 10 audio limit even to accounts which are 1+ years old? I mean, bots will be banned during so long time. I mean 1+ yeared accounts should have at least 20-30 audios per month.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why they added a upload cap, and made it so us non verified users can only upload 10 audios a month!? That’s ridiculous! At least make the audio upload cap for non verified users 100, and verified users 300.

Still very much a mistake and I stand by my reasoning in the previous topic on this subject.
If you want to drive people off your platform this seems to be a good way of going about it.

Reiterating points on old topic post:

• Do not private peoples’ audio uploads without their consent. Copyrighted audio is a different matter but being heavy handed like this is not the solution to the problem.

• Give users more flexibility and control over their uploaded content privacy rules either per upload or batch.

• Allow users to automatically apply a public usage license to their audio uploads (should have been considered from the start and retroactively privatising audio breaks many older games)

EDIT: Spelling corrections

4 Likes

welp, the time has come… the audios are gone.

1 Like

but really why would they do this?

2 Likes

you can use bot accounts that you created like 10 years ago. Either way though I still don’t agree with only 10 a month for the average user.

I still believe that they could have made the privacy optional and due to the lawsuit they could have briefly paused the ability to upload audio so that they could do a copyright sweep and leave most non-copyrighted assets alone…I might be wrong on that but if they could have done something like that then that would have made things better. Due to Roblox’s lack of transparency on things like this nowadays I’m actually a bit surprised they didn’t put a “Is Roblox in financial trouble?” question in the FAQ like they did for the removal of tickets despite how big of a corporation they are now.

1 Like

Private audios appear to still be working in places without proper permissions but the library is devoid of non-roblox uploaded assets above 6 seconds.

Is this update fully pushed out or is the automatic launch botched? I seriously cannot tell at this point.

1 Like

They are?

It seems it is still possible to play audio on the website, although I’ve only looked at my inventory within the past several hours.

Will older games with Base64 be affected?

No, because the audio itself is embedded into the .RBXL file.

In other words, the audio data is stored locally instead of on a server.

They’re nuked when opened in modern ROBLOX studio, so the Base64 text in the “SoundID” value of a “Sound” instance will be gone.

Opening the .RBXL in an older version of ROBLOX Studio or in a program like Notepad will allow you to view the audio information in-between the <binary*> tags.

Look at this tutorial by @Aurarus to learn more. This information should apply to audio as well.

2 Likes

Um, where’d the audio go?

I thought you were providing us with 100,000 APM tracks and 100,000 ProSoundEffects fx.

4 Likes

you can grab them on the website for now hopefully these show up in the toolbox later i was confused when i saw “No Results found”

nvm the website version is doing the exact same thing

You know whats funny. All the people who said they were going to quit if the update was pushed out are still online

2 Likes

The limit sucks

3 Likes

A lot of people are quitting development but not Roblox itself. I’ve started using unreal engine myself actually.

3 Likes

Well, we have to see if our games broke from the update or not, after all…
I, for one, am not developing any more levels for my Roblox game because of this update, but I still need to have Roblox open so I can port my scripts and models to Godot.