Update on Paid Random Items Restriction for Australian Users

aw man i can no longer gamble on roblox…

3 Likes

Fix please.
When you start the map, there are lags and it gives you this. Then everything works fine

3 Likes

The positive comments give me hope for humanity.

This should really be Roblox policy - You don’t need to wait till other countries ban it to do the right thing.

7 Likes

Last I knew, China has had those same laws for longer…

W UK W Australia W every country that will follow up

3 Likes

If only Pet simulator implemented PolicyService…
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/pet-simulator-not-abiding-arepaidrandomitemsrestricted-rules-uk-update/3120765

Pet Simulator being allowed to let children gamble without consequences gives every developer the right to also not implement it.

8 Likes

They only decided to take action after countries started to ban roblox.

3 Likes

Obviously, a different opinion must be a ragebait.
Such regulations limit me significantly as a developer.
Keep in mind that the paid random items restriction includes EVERY in-game purchase (not only robux ones) without specifically defined result.

A random skin for your weapon for 100 in-game coins? Forbidden.
Controlling the global economy in an RPG game by adding slight randomness to purchases? Forbidden.

It’s upsetting that less players will be able to experience engaging content that we strive to deliver.

3 Likes

you don’t need “paid random items” to make a successful game… the entire concept is a mistake and i hope other governments follow suit, good riddance if it gets banned

It’s upsetting that less players will be able to experience engaging content that we strive to deliver.

this is a funny statement

5 Likes

This law only disallows paid random items, so you can still have randomness for things bought with in-game currency (like in your example). You just can’t be selling said currency for robux at the same time, if I am understanding correctly.

2 Likes

No, it’s upsetting to you that you won’t be able to exploit children with gambling mechanics to line your pockets.

2 Likes

I think it’s all Australian users, no matter their age.

2 Likes

What if the paid random items weren’t random and had a predetermined order?

1 Like

Yes, you’re right.
However, allowing users to purchase in-game currency is very common way of monetization.

Why talking about children while the new Australian law is mainly about limiting adults from deciding where to spend their own money?

1 Like

I do not plan to use this kind of feature on my games, but out of curiosity, I need to ask :
If players were to use VPNs to bypass the restrictions, would the game take any kind of moderation action?

2 Likes

As long as you are abiding by the PolicyAPI no moderation actions can be taken against you the developer or your game if the user decides to use a VPN to bypass their country restrictions.

3 Likes

No worries, nearly no games respect this policy.

1 Like

As a developer in Australia, am I still allowed to make a game that includes ‘paid random items’, block them for all Australians and me, and sell them to users outside of my country like the US?

The new legislation simply states that games containing loot boxes would be required to be classified as M. Adults aren’t being prohibited from anything here