Update on Paid Random Items Restriction for Australian Users

Hi Creators,

Last month, we shared important updates to keep your experiences compliant with regional regulations, specifically for UK users under the age of 18.

Starting September 20, those same changes will be in effect for all Australian users.

Context on Existing Features

We currently provide PolicyService APIs and Experience Guidelines to help creators stay compliant for Roblox users globally:

• PolicyService APIs: This easy-to-use tool enables creators to ensure that their in-experience content complies with specific regional policies. To comply with Roblox Community Standards, creators must use the applicable PolicyService API to ensure that paid random items are accessible only to eligible users.

• Experience Guidelines: Creators can generate Guidelines by declaring the types of content their experiences contain. This information is then used to inform users about the content and determine their access based on their account information, such as regional compliance requirements.

What’s New?

To ensure compliance with regulations concerning experiences that contain paid random items, these updates will make such content unavailable to Australian users.

Effective September 20:

Keep Your Australian Audience & Stay Compliant

To keep your experiences available to Australian users while staying compliant, we strongly encourage you to:

Important Reminder

Thank you for your cooperation and for continuing to create amazing experiences for your global audience!

FAQ

Are all Australian users impacted by this change or just under 18 users?

• All Australian users.

Do paid random items also include items purchased using in-experience currency that cannot be obtained through Robux or subscriptions?

• If there is no way for a user to pay for the in-experience currency, then the random item is not a “paid” random item.

Will there be any enforcement around paid random items, showing chances, or using the Policy API correctly? Experience xyz has paid random items and is playable in blocked countries.

• If you find any content on the platform that may violate our policies, including non-compliance with the Paid Random Items policies, please submit a report for inaccurate guidelines.

Is it sufficient to disable the purchase, or does any UI containing paid random items have to be removed as well?

• Blocking the ability to purchase is sufficient to comply, but please consider implementing a user experience that makes sense for your community.

I received an email but I don’t have any experiences with paid random items

• You may have received an email about Paid Random Items not meant for you. We sent this by mistake. Please disregard this. We apologize for the confusion.
105 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

I appreciate that gambling content is being regulated more and being taken more seriously by a growing number of governments!

62 Likes

Is this only for Australian users under 18? If not, we’d basically be losing access to half of the experiences on the platform :frowning:

22 Likes

I feel like this will be the standard practice for all countries in some years.

25 Likes

good. and a sincere worst wishes to those of you who continue to promote gambling in children

42 Likes

I’m moving to Austrillia because they have good laws to not let kids develop a gambling problem.

14 Likes

Yippee, the anti-lootbox law is finally spreading.

Hopefully this will result in games being less predatory and actually implementing things like… ACTUALLY PLAYING the game to get items from a lootbox instead of having to buy it.

And most importantly, crack down on glorified online gambling.
Kids shouldn’t be able to spend money in games unsupervised, let’s be real.

17 Likes

Aw man, no more underage gambling? How am I gonna get rich now that i can’t make kids be addicted at gambling now? :broken_heart:

Jokes aside, this is a really good update you guys added, I’m glad people are now taking action against underage gambling.

31 Likes

waiting for all the people here complaining that they cant sell lootboxes to more kids

17 Likes

it just says no items, it means not being able to like purchase it, not completely remove the access to games

6 Likes

If the game does not comply with the random items restrictions policy, the game becomes unavailable to users affected by those restrictions. This is a major worry because the original post says these changes “will be in effect for all Australian users”, implying adults (not just children) will be affected and lose access to millions of games.

3 Likes

Dang, Pet Simulator just lost their Australian playerbase. :disappointed: (That is, if they actually implement these elements of PolicyService in them.)

Nah, but actually really good to hear! Glad to see more countries banning child gambling.

6 Likes

Now only if the US would follow suit.

8 Likes

It’s shame to see another country blocking useful game mechanics, even for 18+ users.

4 Likes

can’t wait for the US to adopt this law
no more pet sim x!
(and less gambling addiction in 7 year olds)

5 Likes

as an australian this honestly should’ve been the case from the start, i’m glad to see it being regulated now but i really want to see this being applied globally since paid random items are literally gambling

7 Likes

I cant tell if this is ragebait but it probably is

10 Likes

Can you please clarify whether games who failed to implement it are going to be unavailable for all Australians, or just for Australians under the age of 18?

3 Likes

Fantastic to see regulation by more countries on the predatory gambling tactics of games

4 Likes