Update on Verified Badges

I think the issue with this is that anyone who is ID verified would then receive the tick mark, obscuring the meaning of it entirely. The current display name + tick mark design language across the platform is quite flawed in this regard- you are simply trusting that developers will not impersonate other developers at the moment lol

If you expand the current system to all known individuals (I am not opposed to this idea) without fixing the way verification is displayed, you get a far worse impersonation problem than before, as the check mark looks quite trustworthy.

TL;DR Roblox needs to display verification marks ONLY in the context of usernames, not display names. And hand out verification badges in a far broader scope. This solves most of the platform trust problems, instead of the current useless ego boost.

4 Likes

Does this start from NOW, or previous 90 days before this update?

5 Likes

Visits have nothing to do with this. It would be incredibly expensive to bot 1 million hours of engagement which is the metric that matters, and if you’ve noticed botted experiences get spotted and shadow banned a lot faster now. I don’t think this system is actually that easy to game.

2 Likes

200k items sold in 90 days is absurd. They didn’t take in the demand for price of the items so it adds to the limits requirement even more.

1 Like

My group was the first to receive a verified badge in the first wave, I do think I meet the requirements for Experience Creators. Hopefully I will get the verified badge on my profile.

1 Like

Also, would it not be easier if individuals can apply to be verified instead of rolling them out? In other social medias, you can apply to such badges if you meet the criteria, and if you pass the application, you receive the badge.

4 Likes

u aint notable so ofc u aint biased

3 Likes

Is this limited to UGC creators only, or does it also include non-participants of the UGC program?

2 Likes

I lost my verified badge when I updated my 2 Step Verification, Is it possible to get it back or nah?

1 Like

This seems like a really good change honestly, can’t wait for more!

1 Like

um what? i think it would be easier to have the same username + outfit rather than having verified badge + its roblox fault adding display name that could steal someone’s else username

1 Like

You have to send in a form, with the reason of why it was removed. Support - Roblox
It clearly states so on the wiki.

2 Likes

It’s absurd how many developer-related rewards and programs pander to how hard you’re pumping statistics and numbers and not anything else. I have yet to see any meaningful programs that do not do this - that is excluding ones that have been shuttered or are certainly on their way to being closed.

Verification should not be an indicator of how much statistics you’re pulling in, it should be an actual indicator of your legitimacy and association with the platform. There are other high-risk targets that aren’t necessarily brands or high-earners. Some of my worries already get rekindled every now and again because of a certain recent security incident with Roblox.

That is… well, really frustrating. Even the Star Creators requirements look easier in comparison. Verified badges really aren’t intended for any of us, are they.

13 Likes

Funny how top developers are gonna have to farm followers in order to get the Verified Badge just because they’re not the group holder. :sob:

2 Likes

To be honest, I disagree with the current criteria because the numbers are absurdly high. It leaves a lot of smaller & older creators out of the picture.

But I am glad to see there is transparency here; I do hope there can be expanding upon this and more ways to prove authenticity and notability.

2 Likes

100K followers on twitter and 100K followers on TikTok is a huge difference, it’s so easy to get followers on TikTok.

Also, what is the threshold of being a contributor? Can someone just make one image and be considered one?

3 Likes

The problem is here that everyone will just apply for such a badge. There’s no way for Roblox to identify these smaller creators, ‘actual individuals’, themselves. It has to be based on some metric. I think it’s great they did not focus on revenue for engagement.

If there’s a good solution to this I’d be happy to hear it, but I have not seen one across multiple platforms.

3 Likes

I agree with you, and, to a certain extent, everyone is right in saying that this doesn’t cater towards the group of developers that are smaller. However, this doesn’t mean that ROBLOX should be doing such.

ROBLOX is not the only platform that focuses their verification program to highly notable, well known, or individuals with a range of following that is quite high.

Statistics, like shown, determining the eligibility for this program are a good thing. Unlike many other platforms, ROBLOX is the one platform that gives you the general standard for eligibility. This actually gives you something to work towards and entices you to work on your games so they perform better (thus bringing you closer to verification).

Yes, numbers can be an inaccurate measure of eligibility and users who are worthy of verification can find themselves skipped out. Take EnemyOffTheState - Roblox for example, one of the original developers of Race Clicker, whom is not verified simply due to the follower criteria. But this does not mean that ROBLOX should change it.

TLDR: The verification program was never designed for small creators. Besides paid verification that is rolling out on some social spaces, amongst ALL platforms verification has ALWAYS been for BIGGER creators. As such, if you are a small creator you shouldn’t have expected to be eligible for verification immediately…

That being said, this shouldn’t be the thing that stops you from wanting to develop. ROBLOX has given you targets to work towards and as such you should aspire to reach the goals set out by them.

Remember, if ROBLOX verifies everyone then there is no point verifying anyone at all. I’m sure you would prefer to be verified if it is exclusive to the users who worked as hard as you did to attain the badge.

7 Likes

How do you check that? I went to Engagement and clicked 90 days but I didn’t see anywhere that showed total hours playtime.

2 Likes

Agreed, it’s sad that instead of feeling encouraged, a lot of Devs in this thread are deterred from reaching the milestones. In my mind, Roblox has given us specific goals to achieve and it is our job to achieve them. This update should be encouraging Devs to branch out into different social media platforms like TikTok, which in my opinion, is easier to get the Verified badge for.

2 Likes