Update to Developer Forum Entry Process

I agree, there needs to be a way to have members do a “trial” period. To ensure that when a member is accepted they fully understand how the Developer Forum operates and can provide quality comments to the ROBLOX community of developers.

8 Likes

Personally, I believe people should have the chance to learn and start early. The only flaw is people will attempt to spam and break rules. This is okay, but I believe that people should respect others and follow the rules. If there is a way to do that it would be great!:smile:

3 Likes

Oh, so that’s how I’m in the Dev Forum now?

1 Like

even 911 takes a few minutes to get there, same thing with moderation

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter when we can delete the posts/threads that are inappropriate. It would be like it never happened to anyone opening the forum after moderation took place. We already delete several bad threads on a daily basis this way. Not an issue.

3 Likes

I’ve been seeing people post screenshots of some pretty awful posts over twitter as “examples” of whats been going on but whenever I try to find the posts myself they’re already gone so you guys must be at it pretty hard

5 Likes

Now imagine how quick it could be if the people that send these screenshots around actually contact us directly instead to get it resolved!

11 Likes

I’m not saying it’s an issue or you can’t go hard at work with it, I’m just saying it’s a trade off.

1 Like

That may be the problem, some people don’t do the bot tutorial to get the gist of direct messages and even how to post well (making quality posts is in the rules, but many don’t read them :frowning: ). This could be fixed by a point previously stated by FireJxsus, “there should be a step between Visitor to New Member to test who is getting the role knows how to post properly, when to post and where to do it, maybe a must-do tutorial like “You have been offered to be a New Member!, please, complete this tutorial in order to get the rank.”, not only an optional tutorial that some people don’t even bother to do or can’t find since it’s just a “Greetings” message from a bot.” I’m not trying to put pressure or attack anyone here, but a mandatory tutorial should be implemented.

13 Likes

I think I agree here. We don’t want this place to become another Public Forums area :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I also agree.

1 Like

This seems like the best course of action for what’s currently in place

3 Likes

I suggest a tier system. There would be like 3 levels before you can reach new member. This would help ensure the best quality developers are filtered through with each tier giving more permission than the last till you reach new member.

3 Likes

I feel like my last post is also relevant here to: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/devforums-opening-to-the-public/227525/41?u=cjcool12345

Automation (which includes AI) seems to ineffective for a community of this size. It will absolutely work, but only for active members. And as the community grows, the frequency of low quality posts will increase. Maybe I’m missing some changes, but I don’t feel like this forum has the proper infrastructure to increase quality while accepting new members.

Even if that means I’m no longer eligible, I’d way rather be kicked out then have lower quality posts for the staff to use! Also biased here, Roblox is my hobby, not my job.

2 Likes

Interesting change indeed.

6 Likes

Well said r0cu. Well said.

1 Like

Indeed glad they made a topic.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Inappropriate posts

While this is savage there’s a good point being made here, just reading the forum is not a strong enough sole indicator of developer proficiency or seriousness to join this community, other indicators should be considered before someone becomes a new member.
The signal to noise ratio has changed since this change has gone through, I’ve seen numerous examples of new members joining and then immediately misusing the forum. This doesn’t hurt me, it hurts the other legitimate new members because they start to become associated with “meme posts” like the previous new member who immediately spammed links to his game on each area he could post to, auto-promotion hurts high quality new members by locking them into a community with a high amount of noise, hindering legitimate development discussion, I would hope that Roblox considers further barriers than just reading the forum for membership criteria here.

18 Likes

I am against this change. There are now ridiculous posts going around, new members claiming work that is not theirs, and all this stuff. People may think while reading my reply, “Wait, aren’t you a new member yourself?”. This is the truth, but I was accepted through applications and now that this change has occurred it is really disappointing to others like me who were accepted through applications before this change. We need to revert.

8 Likes