Update to Developer Forum Entry Process

Three hours? Should be three days or more. Three hours is easily achievable in an afternoon.

8 Likes

Happy that we finally found a Middle Ground for both parties. The DevForum shouldn’t be just be available for one group of people anyway. This update and decision has proven that it’s possible to keep a balance of security/moderation and availability.

Thanks to this update I can now…

• Post my Group’s Handbook.
  • Engage in the Community more.
  • Have access to reasonably high-quality conversation on the Platform.

Amazing Update! :+1:

10 Likes

Judging by how I got in, I think it is actually based on how many topics you’ve read. I think people are forgetting that you don’t get given the Member Permission level instantly too.

6 Likes

Was it intended to allow all New Members the ability to post replies to topics in the #public category and its subcategories?? Seems kind of hardcore, no?

Especially considering that the role can be acquired within a single day.

4 Likes

I wish ti get accepted trough the activity way also and congrats on getting accepted trough the activity way

3 Likes

I think that the New members role should be acquired within a single day

5 Likes

However long it takes doesn’t matter to me; IIRC it wasn’t possible for the role to post replies here before (for good reason)… so I’m wondering if this particular change was intended

3 Likes

1 day is way too short. I’d say at least a week or more.

4 Likes

A week is ok

4 Likes

Hmm i wanted to post a really good tutorial about a Blender tip and method on meshing and shading, but i dont have the ability to post on Community Resources or community tutorials, so when i tried on Development support (Building) the Post got flagged automatically…

3 Likes

This category gains the most attention from the Developer-Relations Team, Lead Top Contributors and Moderators. They can probably just delete the post and take appropriate action if it’s against the rules if that’s what your concern is.

5 Likes

There’s a process to submit topics to categories you don’t have access to. I’d recommend reading the links the bot sent you when you were first accepted as a New Member, since this was among them and there is lots of other great information there. Rule 15.1: (can’t quote due to mobile)

5 Likes

Please slow down the rate at which people can become New Members.
It should take them at minimum a week of activity.

With more and more New Members joining and flagging / being flagged, the delay between flagging a post and seeing it dealt with will either increase (and it seems to have already), or moderation quality will decrease to favor speed. This rate of growth is not sustainable for moderation in its current state.

Before this change to the entry process my flags were always handled within the same day, or else the very next day. My most recent two flags after this change took two days to be handled, which seems like a fair warning sign.

12 Likes

As much as I am honored to be a part of this forum I can see where everyone is coming from in this topic. I believe that the requirements for membership, even just new membership should be risen it really did not take me long to obtain it, most of the people in here, some being my friends dislike the new system because it makes the DevForum feel less exclusive. Dev’s on roblox don’t get a lot of exclusivity as it is and if It meant I had to give up my new membership to make the joining policy stricter, I would do it.

7 Likes

Personally in my retrospective as a New member myself that got in through the new system.

I feel like every time I’m watching over the dev community it made me learn some stuffs I couldn’t think of due to the fact when I first started developing in studio 3 years ago I needed to be knowledgeable and Prepared at all times to see the outcomes of my priority’s an be aware of the total complicated stuffs to improve my skills. I personally don’t like seeing this Drama as of right now as it reminds me of why the forums were removed but being Judgmental at the same time gives a bad rap for us New Members. at least give them a Chance and see how good and passionate they are and you can truly see how good their creations can be. although I’m Quiet disappointed lets not assume this and that to one another Studying and Reading actually Improves the mindset as I’ve learned from the old and copy from the new to make something greater.

7 Likes

After reading a lot of replies, I can also see both sides of the story. New members do get a bad reputation right off the bat in my opinion. Why? Cause including myself, everyone is going to make mistakes. I’ve already made one and haven’t even been here for a week. But a good thing about making mistakes is learning from them. New members like myself are here to learn new things. They look up to the veterans and staff here to get guidance and help them grow as a person, which is why I keep coming back to this platform and love it so much. But, as a few people pointed out, I think the entry process should be slightly more difficult. It would help with quality control of posts and be easier on the staff.

15 Likes

This is nothing more than speculation, however I feel as if forcing the transition from a once elitist forum for the greatest minds of roblox to now being overly populated isn’t something that will be accepted immediately. Adjusting to this change could take weeks,months, and possibly even discourage a vast majority of the “elite” from engaging with the community resorting to alternative forms of communication such as discord servers.

Yes, new members including myself are bound to make mistakes as this is unfamiliar territory to us. However not everyone will be as understanding or compassionate. Here’s what I recommend to resolve this crisis or at the very least keep the self destructive damage to a minimum:

1). Before posting an offer in #public-collaboration come prepared with:

• a reasonable budget (only offering game % with no form of compensation isn’t recommend)

• general idea of what service(s) you seek or offer.

• An open mind, for ex: if you don’t get a response right away don’t resort to massive self replies (bumping) as it’ll just bring unnecessary attention to yourself.

• A game plan or at the very least a rough draft to expand as the project progresses with your team.

• Before requesting assistance in any support subforum attempt to resolve it yourself first or look through any previous threads that consisted of the same issue you’ve encountered.

• Interact with the community, contribute in any helpful way you possibly can. Even small contributions can result in getting one step closer to resolving the problem a player was facing.

11 Likes

I disagree with the characterization of this forum as elitist before this change. Nobody seriously thought “we should keep this place as exclusive as possible” before this; there’s been very little disapproval towards the general prospect of allowing new members in at a much faster rate.

The problem is with the way this change was made. It feels as though the moderation of the forums were not prepared and that the general quality of posts has gone down. Only time will tell if this is a permanent issue, but at the moment, that is how it is, and it impacts experienced and new members alike.

8 Likes

It had been originally exclusive, as time went by the once high standards held by the forums were diminished. I suppose elitist is a rather bold word that could’ve been substituted.

As the old saying goes “every man for himself” can be applied here. You can’t force someone to act proper, it’s a choice that all of us possess. Therefore if they choose to ignore all advice,lessons, and guidelines given to them it’ll only impact their future not the community directly. As I always remind myself…high expectations lead to disappointment.

Not necessarily all players had this mindset, however the forums original intent were to differentiate the developers from the players. Targeted at both new and old developers that met the necessary criteria.

Quality and quantity varies on personal preference. I personally feel that even quantity can hold some value if you remain open minded.

11 Likes

With the figures of aspiring ROBLOX developers increasing by the day this was an amazing decision to take :smiley:

11 Likes