Update to Roblox Licensing Program & Brand Guidelines

This update does not prevent you from using R15/R6 or any of the blocky avatars, to put it simply they don’t want you to use them commercially off-platform.

2 Likes

Merchandise, specifically toys, were one of our biggest revenue streams. That’s just … gone? Wow.

8 Likes

It wasn’t meant literally, it was a joke.

2 Likes

R6 is not permitted to be used for use off-platform and outside commercials for your games whether commercially or not, from what I’ve read.

2 Likes

I don’t recall ever using “Roblox” itself in any of my game titles, but a long time ago (2009-2014 or so) I would frequently upload new projects over old ones that had been abandoned due to the system of limited place slots. As such, most of my games, even ones from just last year, are dated to 2009 for no good reason. I almost want to start moving things around to get old places back in the list just to see what happens…

2 Likes

You may advertise and promote your experiences with any avatar types. You do need to submit assets for approval if you are using the “On Roblox” badge and looking to do non-digital promotion (billboards, tv ads etc).

The restrictions are around off-platform commercial use (making products or doing something like a TV show that has characters that look like our R6 avatar type). Like some folks have speculated in the thread, this is to protect Roblox IP and association with commercial products not created by Roblox. The classic R6-style avatar is iconic, but R15 and Rthro bodies are more customizable and less recognizable.

If there are any specific questions or approvals needed please submit to the form on the Name and Logo Guidelines page and we can advise.

29 Likes

I don’t want to simply restate what has already been said, but this seems like a very rough idea for the platform as a whole. I can understand not wishing for Roblox IP to be used for unofficial and off-platform commercial products, but essentially banning the usage of Roblox IPs such as the tilt logo, the “Roblox”, “Blox”, and similar names, and other symbols that identify and are iconic to the platform from usage within Roblox experiences that are hosted entirely on the site is unacceptable. The argument for “growing beyond the platform” doesn’t make sense because many developers wish to stay on the platform. Are you saying that you’d prefer developers to use Roblox as a testing ground for games and then expand to a “real” game? Roblox is a platform, and even if it’s not perfect, hundreds of experiences are designed specifically for the platform and aren’t designed to leave it.

Additionally, while I’m not in the Stars Program, I know that it’s been helpful to many developers. Sunsetting the program doesn’t give any additional freedom; it simply removes another marketing option for developers.

Overall, I really hope Roblox heavily reconsiders these decisions. They do not help the platform, and may even actively harm it, especially for discovery and memorability. Making massive decisions internally like this without talking to developers is why so much backlash occurs, and the only way to push through is to let Roblox know how developers feel.

19 Likes

Will ROBLOX and its developer relations still provide support in the event of a creator with a smaller following planning to create merchandising? Unless you have alot of connections to the industry and/or money, this task seems very herculean for a sole creator.

Also, while the Stars Program is now officially over, will ROBLOX still be there to support the endeavours of up and coming creators? It would definetly make collaborations with mass produced merchandising much easier.

4 Likes

So to get this straight, we can ask for approval to not have to ‘fully follow these rules’, for example commercially making a toy based on an in-experience R15 / R6 avatar?

Okay thanks for the clarification there, I have no intent to expand off platform unless you happen to count my personal social media groups (ie, I have a personal twitter and may occasionally post dev notes or something on it, but not a big fancy game-themed twitter to post updates to)

As for the argument about r6/r15/etc… Most of the characters in my games have really weird designs, such as https://gyazo.com/63edbb9e16dde96275d0ab1663222b30 (Not sure how links work on the devforum, sorry in advance if that’s not a good choice of file host or whatever, I asked elsewhere and got no answer), these are technically r6 in that I modified the attachment points of an ancient (circa 2008) humanoid animation script, but of course don’t actually walk like one. I don’t personally think they’d count for the “default r6” part of the new rules, but I’m asking just to be sure.

Oh and one more example, though I don’t have an image on hand currently: One of my newest experiences has a very common friendly NPC type that’s just a cylinder. It even has textures on the sides to match the classic plus shapes of old Roblox cylinders that they no longer have by default. Does that count for anything regarding “generic” designs, and if so which way?

2 Likes

I already have a small game called Bloxy Kart. Do I have to rename Bloxy Kart to something else at a certain deadline?

2 Likes

No, previous games are exempt from that rule.

What if the game randomly blows up in a year from now? Will Roblox still know that I am exempt from this rule?

As stated any experience created before yesterday is exempt from the rule and does not need to have their name changed. I’d assume that also includes experiences that may blow-up in the future.

1 Like

To say “I’m upset” about the stars program being shut down is an understatement.
I’m going to be making a very large feedback post about this here on the forums shortly.

EDIT : Posted!

17 Likes

I am currently reading the Roblox IP: Improper Usage Physical Product section of the document provided for On Roblox. My game has classic avatars in the marketing already, and the plan for v4.0 was to make new ones with classic avatars of characters coming in v4.0…

How will I be marketing my game now? Do I have to hand draw my marketing now and add On Roblox on for third party marketing?

1 Like

Are they just actively distancing themselves from what made this platform great in the first place?

• Rthro is more or less a failure and sees next to no intentional usage aside from glitches and troll avatars
  • Restricting usage of not only their logo but parts of their name too might signify a platform name change

Seriously, I don’t get it. I know this platform has been trying to modernize itself for the past couple of years, but at this point I really don’t get it. Rthro is nearly uncustomizable while REGULAR AVATARS HAVE THE FREEDOM TO MIX AND MATCH ACCESSORIES AND SHIRTS. Ironic how their slogan back in the day was “Be anything, build anything”, yet you can’t “be” anything with this body type.

And no, layered clothing is not gonna save rthro.

Edit: I’m not trying to say that rthro is completely useless; but having it overshadow (and presumably forced at some point) current and past features is just beyond me.

13 Likes

How do these changes affect Roblox-related YouTube videos, including character & logo usage on video thumbnails? Is it only affected if the video is promoting a Roblox experience, third-party service, and/or physical product?

For instance, if I publish a tutorial about creating assets / explaining the functionality of Roblox Studio features, would I be able to include the Roblox Studio logo in my video thumbnails or would I need to replace it with the new “On Roblox” Badge?

Example thumbnail:

From what I understand, the usage of the logo (and potentially the R6 / R15 Character model) becomes prohibited if the video promoted a Roblox experience, third-party service, and/or physical product?

Alongside that, Page 3 of the Roblox Badge Usage & Avatar Guidelines Version 2.0 states this:

The “ON ROBLOX” Badge is for use for any 3rd party business, brand or experience that adhere to our terms of use. Please ensure that all marketing materials and assets include this “ON ROBLOX” badge. The use of the official Roblox logo (outside of this badge) is strictly prohibited.

Questions:

• Is the Roblox Studio logo also prohibited from being used? - Clarification about this would be useful since it only addresses the official Roblox logo; the Roblox Studio logo isn’t included or mentioned anywhere in the guidelines.

• Are thumbnails for YouTube videos that are centered around the Roblox platform considered “marketing material”? - If so, I presume the video thumbnail must include the “On Roblox” badge, even if it is not promoting experiences on Roblox?

Lastly, the Roblox Name and Logo - Community Usage Guidelines states this:

1. The use of the Roblox name (and any name similar to Roblox), badge, logo, and other trademarks including “Classic Roblox Avatars” (R6 and R15 Avatars as defined in our Terms of Use) is not permitted on physical products or commercial content and may not be tied to the development, distribution or sale of any products or services (including, but not limited to, physical products, packaging, retail displays, services, NFTs, film, TV, books, stage shows or amusement parks) without a Roblox licensing agreement.
  • Would video tutorials about creating assets in Roblox Studio be considered “related to the development of a product”, even if the asset is only to be used inside of Roblox experiences? - If so, does this mean that the Roblox name, badge, logo, and other trademarks could not be displayed on video thumbnails or in video tutorials?
11 Likes

Whyis this not allowed? It looks much better in my opinion. Also, can we use Gotham and not Black? Or Bold, and Medium?

7 Likes

I agree that with the frame it does look better, not sure why we cant use a framed version, helps separate it from whatever might be in the background.

6 Likes