Update to Roblox Licensing Program & Brand Guidelines

Does this mean that this name grandfathering permission is temporary? I have a multi-game series that has gone on since 2009 - changing the series’ name will be an incredible step backwards for discovery. I have no intention to expand it off-platform.

62 Likes

I thought there was a whole team at Roblox focused on developer relations. Can someone please tell me what they are doing for developers?

38 Likes

preventing a PR disaster (and usually failing) while getting paid 5 to 6 figures a year for it

15 Likes

I might be wrong but after talking to some people I personally believe that it’s cus the R6 look is too generic to be licensed in the first place. Would be legally very challenging at least to do so.

5 Likes

My best bet is to reach out to Roblox and ask for permission. (Also hi Yoshi! :wave:)

4 Likes

I got accepted to the Stars program in late 2021, never even got a toy/merchandise submitted, and was sent the release contract. Pretty disappointing. Not fully against the idea that developers should be creating their own merchandise, but now we have no clear way to do so.

What I’m most disappointed about are the toy lines. These are impossible for the average person without a tremendous amount of money and/or connections to create. This is another change that will only benefit the ones who already have a very high level of success while making it harder for smaller developers.

18 Likes

How exactly with the above changes effect Roblox animation channels that only use ‘classic’ characters?

12 Likes

Wait, what about game trailers already containing R6 characters like Flood Escape 2’s that are hosted on YouTube? Are these infringing now?

What are “classic” avatars. In parenthesis on the guidelines page you put (R6 and R15 Avatars as defined in our Terms of Use). This is very vague, and I have no idea what that means since the TOU doesn’t clarify anything either

19 Likes

Why??? 100% of this is just bad It doesn’t help. Why not just remove the Roblox logo everywhere! That’s basically what you are doing. This is not good. How is this going to help us? I’m really disappointed, and I agree with the others how is it going to affect the animations, using the classic avatar, and what many more things other have to say!

9 Likes

I’ve noticed that the use of the Roblox tilt logo is now prohibited under all circumstances, are you seriously going to prohibit the use of an icon of a tilted square with a square hole in it which is one of the most iconic logos on this platform…

12 Likes

Aha, so now people whould need to make their own toys throw their own custom ways. Perfect, then @Roblox remove all themed toys from Amazon… You are going to do that. Right? Of course that your point of this update isn’t to you make money for someone else’s work and ideas. Right? :thinking:

6 Likes

why don’t you remove following, adding, and disliking at this point. I thought Roblox was a platform for imagination but i guess not.

6 Likes

I enjoy having more freedom but am kinda sad about the toys side :frowning:

4 Likes

You dont get more freedom with this, they’re restricting r6 and r15 avatars, and the Rolbox brand

14 Likes

What’s even more ironic is they were encouraging us to use the Roblox logo with the tilted square in it, and now we can’t.

7 Likes

Im pretty sure thats whats happening.

Now on Twitter:

@Roblox_RTC will be banned, but @Rolbox_RTC will be fine

18 Likes

I’m talking about the roblox stars program holding creators back from collaborating with brands. I’ve have had to turn brands away because it would violate my stars contract.

3 Likes

I doubt Roblox has the rights to the concept of a tilted square with a square hole, they likely only own the rights to the exact thickness and tilt. But this is not legal advice.

4 Likes

I see some of this being good, however I do not really like this part of it:

Roblox, your brand has been built around these blocky avatars, I feel it would be in your best interest not to remove them from off-platform branding.

I actually see this part as a good change, it should help give the platform some more creative names, and, as you stated, help creators grow beyond just roblox.

4 Likes