Update to Roblox Licensing Program & Brand Guidelines

You are right. But the argument of altering the logo to avoid legal punishment can still be made if it’s still similar and especially if you yourself have no trademark to your alternation. It’s better to just not.

Not anymore, any game prior to this rule change can keep their name, but no new creations or publishings can.

b r u h

Title Update:

I feel this is pretty useless, imagine Coeptus just made Bloxburg. Now he has to make a completely new game title and remake thumbnails if he just created the game (he doesnt have to since it came out earlier but whatever). Rebranding something you worked hard on is pretty bad, especially when using ROBLOX on Roblox for a game title is now prohibited.

This update isn’t that bad, as the only time I’m going to be pushing my game outside of Roblox would be YouTube or something, and even then, I most likely would be pretty careful, especially since I’m trying to learn R15 animating so using R15 won’t be too bad. I understand this is pretty bad for the people who mainly work with R6, but an easy bypass could be just not moving joints in R15. I do have one question, however. That is, what if you want to promote your game on Roblox? Would I have to get permission to promote my game on YouTube using a trailer or something? That wouldn’t be a very smart idea, as it kills game promotion even more than it already is.

Edit: So you have to customize the R15 avatar to the point where you can’t even tell it’s a classic avatar. So now you’ll have to use Rthro for game promoting, WHICH MAKES IT EVEN WORSE TO PROMOTE YOUR GAME. Roblox, please remove this idea. This is terrible, and is going to make many developers quit because they don’t want to use Rthro.

On Roblox Badge:

This really isn’t that bad, I don’t see any need to complain about it. If you are a YouTuber, you just need to slap that badge on your thumbnail, if you are a game developer and are promoting it, then you slap that bad boy on there. If this also means icons and game thumbnails, that’s pretty easy as well. It does specify “off-platform commercial usage” so I don’t think you need to slap it on icons and game thumbnails, but if it does, yet again, just slap it on there.

Final Thoughts:

Overall, this kind of sucks, from the star liscensing program ending, to the Roblox/Blox prohibiting, and the avatar limitations commercially is really bad. Especially when they don’t let you use R6, at this point, they are making it clearer and clearer that R6 will be removed from the platform entirely. The on Roblox badge isn’t too bad. Just one thing, if any Roblox employee is reading this, please help change this change. This is really bad for game developers. We need some tweaks to this to make it better. I’ll see you guys next time, if there is a next time, because now I’m considering quitting. Thanks Roblox!
Anyway, check out my cool R o b l o x - A p p r o v e d - A v a t a r

11 Likes

At this point roblox is a champion in turning away developers from their platform due to questionable changes.
I no longer feel alright on roblox, given how those changes outright force me to pause devlopment for one of my games.
Im disgusted in how they treat their veteran players, developers and roblox’s own history. All of this just erased and ignored just because of some investors and generally disliked RTHO avatars. They don’t care about us anymore. Im not going to be surprised if they will suddenly try to fix this in 1-2 years once they will see a sharp decrease in players and profits.

11 Likes

I’ve gotta agree with this, Roblox is trying to make Rthro prominent in the worst way possible, and they are making it more likely that people are going to move to other game development platforms like Unreal Engine or Unity just so that they won’t be bombarded with terrible updates like this.

5 Likes

Well, I gotta say this doesn’t sound good.

I completely agree, ever since 2020, I’ve been thinking how they made some of the changes they had made without having a second thought. They treat older players terribly, like you already said. They are trying to erase history, and make it just modern Rthro garbage.

4 Likes

You have the wrong program in mind. You’re thinking of the youtuber stars program. What is being shut down is the developer stars program.

1 Like

what is the developer stars program?

It’s the program that handled the creation of Roblox toys, from both developer’s games & developers themselves

2 Likes

I’m pretty iffy on the whole part about games not being able to use “Roblox” or any similar derivatives in game titles, when that has been a long running phenomenon for decades, seems very arbitrary to me.

And from what I can gather, the change regarding R6 and R15 not being usable only applies to commercial use, and it shouldn’t really affect anyone on site. I could possibly be wrong however.

Can’t really speak on anything else because I either don’t get it or don’t really care, but from what I am gathering from the thread, I can see how the shutdown of the Star Licensing Program is a slap in the face, and that should be addressed as soon as possible.

5 Likes

I’ve actually never heard of the developer stars program before tbh, I assumed that we only had the Youtuber one instead.

It’s not really talked about as much as the Youtuber Stars Program, so I guess it never crossed my mind.

If that’s the case, I guess they’re shutting it down to save costs since their toys aren’t selling as much as they thought?

I’ve never actually heard of anyone buying a Roblox toy to begin with, aside from a few youtubers who purchase them only to destroy them for a video or something.

That’s really the only logical reason I can think of that actually makes sense.

1 Like

This is pure speculation. Toys do/did sell, and many people enjoy them.

5 Likes

What ever happened to helping your indie developers and independent teams. You ask for the developers to provide you feedback, yet the communication is just not there.

Instead of focusing on forcing Rthro, how about focusing on the people that make the platform what it is.

11 Likes

I have a doubt. I have a site called “RoBlog” where I post things related to Roblox, my name as already said and my logo make many relationships with the platform itself, can I be affected by this?

1 Like

Okay so if im reading this right, all you’re trying to do is promote Roblox itself by getting rid of the ability to freely promote ones game with out putting a big ON ROBLOX label on it?
And when you search Roblox all their gonna see is the platforms new avatars and not the old.
You guys are trying to phase out the past and all the old creations that people have made on this platform with your no-effort, no-sense system of a new platform.
I dont understand why the company is only seeking to see their name everywhere but its all probably for money. Truthfully I dont think the Roblox corp seems to care what developers, influencers or anybody wants.
You’re slowy making us leave the platform diminishing yourself as a company for what?

6 Likes

Are you monetizing the blog? If not, you’re probably alright.

1 Like

Since you got right, so your bad update has been changed.

But Instead, after period June 22, as we now on cannot using games since format using making toys, so this mean there’s no new roblox toys after since June 22 of creators/experiences ? Also, we improved opinions about R6 and R15 or Rthro we complain just using it there’s nobody to provide of many since brad guidelines after yesterday we apart to using have permission to requesting of star program ?

Well according to roblox has been changed program and brand guidelines that does not word say “Roblox”, “Blox” cannot be using to permission, it was completely changed lost your minds when updated so terrible things for making permission allowing to using avatars instead and censor bars are going on new platform. That make sense on developers and players that people make putting ON ROBLOX label and also things making of the past on new avatar and old

But I Believe and only truth about star program what’s done using developer for ?

This move, while punishing or harmful to developers, makes sense. Roblox went public on the stock market, resulting in a lot more pressure to monetize and protect assets. Roblox was at risk of losing intellectual property due to how large of a platform it was - their name, characters, and branding could have become not theirs any more. This same concept applies to any large company - “Google” had to protect their name and branding so they didn’t just become a common verb (ie “google it”, “Googling”, etc). In a court case, it could have been argued that Roblox doesn’t own their intellectual property. This change fixes that.

This is a logical, tactical move geared towards monetizing the platform. That is not to say it isn’t a terrible decision for developers, just that it legally had to be done. This update puts Roblox in a better position to monetize the platform, so it can make profit as a company. I wouldn’t be surprised if their next step would be to make Roblox Studio payed access.

These are just my views. I don’t seek to validate Roblox, and I despise this update, but it makes sense.

6 Likes

Don’t forget about “raw blocks” that sounds like.

I’m asking to support about player badges (as noob colored collectibles maybe affected).