Update to Roblox Licensing Program & Brand Guidelines

This is quite a terrible change for ROBLOX IP…

4 Likes

Companies fundamentally serve to protect themselves. Why should Roblox be any different?

3 Likes

Not sure if this was asked/answered yet but here it goes:

I have an experience whose start place has “Roblox” in the name. We recently changed the main place’s name for RDC coming up. Would I be able to change the main experience’s name back to having “Roblox” as this was created way before June 22nd, 2022?

3 Likes

What are the limits to R6? Are we allowed to, for instance, make videos on YouTube using the R6 characters?

2 Likes

It’s been a long time coming, but now I realize that anyone who chooses not to use Rthro will continue to be punished. This is just another example of being forced into using it, and clearly, nobody is enjoying it:

Before I edited this post I was much more critical. I still don’t understand why Blox and similar terms need to be restricted, but at least from what I understand it applies mainly to experiences.

The star program wasn’t something I was part of, but I still don’t see why it’s being removed.

This is not the direction me and many others wanted to see go forward.

9 Likes

Just two quick questions!

1. Will developers in the Star Program continue to be paid for our toys?

2. Why haven’t some of us been paid quarterly as per our contract? I haven’t been paid in over a year. I reached out to the licensing team twice with no response (based on another response on this thread, I’m not alone).

3 Likes

Hey, in the exact same boat. Haven’t been paid for my three toys in over a year. I contacted licensing twice with no response. Sorry to hear it’s happening to you too. I’m getting really concerned and this news isn’t good.

4 Likes

Hi,

I am a part of a YouTube news production team (Top Hat Mediaz) dedicated to producing shows for the Roblox platform on YouTube. Our flagship product, ‘The Roblox Live Show,’ features the Roblox logo in its logo, branding, and graphics. For this case, would we be required to change our branding to something totally out of the light of the Roblox name, and our associated advertisements and graphics? However, it is a news show about the happenings on the Roblox platform, or would we have to request permission to use the name and logo further?

I think you’d have to non-monetize your entire channel in order to use them.

Because from what I’ve heard, these rules only apply to things that are commercial use or anything similar to that.

If that’s not an option, then I would suggest revamping the show’s name and graphics to avoid being sued or something.

Guess I’m never putting a Roblox character in promotional material ever again. Roblox is shooting themselves in the foot here because this restricts how developers market their product instead of opening it up. Developers do not use Rthro to advertise their product because it looks really jarring and out of place

Screw Rthro.

12 Likes

Why in the world would someone think this is a good idea when really it’s not. Instead of focusing on Rthro that nobody asked, why not just focus on the platform to make it friendly for indie developers. This is like potentially the end of Roblox animation community when someone tries to commission R6 and R15 animations, so in my view, prohibiting the use of “Roblox” or “Blox” in some cases is like posting “Trust no one, not even yourself” meme in a sec.

6 Likes

Always uglier than stitchface and a korblox leg. I never liked RTHO and i never will do so.

2 Likes

Yes, monetization is something we plan on so further thought into how we are going to move around this and tricky, especially as this is a monthly news show and pushing for release by the end of the month. Something like this comes out of nowhere, and with little time for us, and fellow developers…

1 Like

On the Dev Stars Program side, I can sort’ve understand why the program is being shut down as there are too many large IPs under them to be properly utilized.

Though I just believe that very few people even have the appropriate skillset to manage to get their own toys out, which is why we used the program to help us. Removing that just leaves like maybe two games that have their own toy lines? (Piggy + PSX)

Secondly, why does being inside a “merch” program not merit anyone UGC access? If you just gave all Dev Stars UGC access it would certainly soften the blow and they’ve already proven themselves via making a successful game and then would allow them to merchandise over Roblox. So why not?

Thirdly, the dev stars gave a safe umbrella for how to create/merchandise brands. Now that’s gone the developers themselves have to either

1. Sell the licensing rights (potentially % or potentially flat rate (no sales %))
  2. Take a huge risk and fund the toys themselves.

Or thirdly, realize your brand isn’t as large as others and just have a revenue stream cut off.
Roblox kinda is killing the potential of young developers by not giving them the tools they need. So they just get exploited by large companies to sell off their game or something like that.

3 Likes

I wanted to have toys based on my experience but looks like that isnt happening anymore, im unable to get a partnership with some toy company as a solo dev because who actually would like to buy that? My game isnt as big as piggy or PSX.

3 Likes

I have to agree, with @OutlookG as a solo developer myself, the Stars Program, with the ability for Roblox to create some merch and toys for my experience, has really helped me be able to do this as my sole source of income.

Are there any plans to for new services that can help individual developers in regards to merch and income?

4 Likes

I’m a solo dev too, and all I can say is good luck lol.
That’s kinda why Roblox used the toy mystery boxes, to advertise the “smaller” devs

3 Likes

Now i’ll have to suffer like always because roblox is always favoritizing the big fish, while treating small passionate devs like garbage.

4 Likes

As for R#b#ox and Bl#x no longer being allowed in game titles, will this eventually apply to future group names? Because I also feel many users owning groups having B##x in their names may accidentally make a new group experience that has the group name in them without knowing that it contained Bl#x (myself included!).

Confusing is an understatement.

1 Like

I think this also wraps into the new ideologies involved with advertising and marketing. Respectfully, a healthy mix of genders, races, etc are now to be involved whenever using Rthro characters, but the original beauty of Roblox was that the original R6 blocky avatar wasn’t any race or gender, it was ambiguous to what the user wanted to appear as, and it wasn’t humanoid because it was merely in the appearance of a plastic character. If they wanted to be some cool unique creation, then they could do that. The push of Rthro also removes any uniqueness and identity to people’s avatars, especially if they continue to be forced the way they are.

6 Likes