Updated Studio Start Screen

Hello Developers,

The new Studio Start Screen is now live!

Before

After

Notable changes

• Redesigned look to provide useful information and streamlined user experience.
  • New Team Create games section so you can easily find games that friends invited you to edit
  • Game status indicator reveals whether games are active or not.
  • Account menu in upper right corner makes it easy to tell which account you are logged in to from anywhere in Studio.
  • Consolidated games and places into just games to reduce confusion. If one of your games has multiple places, you can access its other places through the Game Explorer.

We understand that changes such as this one may impact your work flows. Please let us know in this thread if you have any issues or concerns with this update and we will work with you to collect your feedback. Thanks for helping us improve Studio!

Thanks,
Developer Relations Team

131 Likes

I REALLY like this update. The layout fits much better with the other updates pages on the site, and the fact it finally gets rids of the old “Classic” view.

7 Likes

Looks really great and Im actually excited to use it. But how would finding plugins work? Is there a different page for that?

16 Likes

Looks pretty nice!

1 Like

Ooh! Shiny! :o

3 Likes

It gives me a mobile feel for some reason.

9 Likes

C L E A N

Looks good

1 Like

If there is no longer an address bar, how will we install plugins we find?

23 Likes

Mucho Bueno :ok_hand:

1 Like

Looks great. I really wasn’t a fan of the old studio start screen, this is a big improvement.

2 Likes

yayyyy thank you thank you thank you thank you
the start page used to be a mess!
:pray: papa bless

1 Like

slim & sleek

2 Likes

Nice and clean! I am curious, how does it display places files you recently opened? In the previous layout they practically were given a tiny footnote, but is there a section here which expands upon that?

Along with that, will it leave duplicates in the list of recently opened place files? It was a bit annoying to have half of my “recent” places all be the same place.

3 Likes

Question, I see there that you have one of the tabs labeled as “Games” are places nestled within that or are you using the word “game” to refer to places because as far as I know games aren’t places you can play, it’s the places within a game that you can play. (if this makes sense). I know it’s a little nitpicky but I’d like to see consistency.

Edit, just realized my question was sort of answered in op though I’m unfamiliar with how the game explorer work. That’s fine though, it shouldn’t be too hard o figure out hopefully.

“New Team Create games section so you can easily find games that friends invited you to edit”

Awesome – this has been the major issue I’ve had with the old develop page.

“Game status indicator reveals whether games are active or not.”

Also nice. Is it just an indicator, or can we toggle it from here as well? Would be unfortunate if we had to leave studio to enable/disable games.

“Account menu in upper right corner makes it easy to tell which account you are logged in to from anywhere in Studio.”

What happened to the URL bar? What happened to the quick access menu? There aren’t button equivalents for Ctrl+N and Ctrl+O. Were these features removed? Also, what does this menu look like with an open place?

“Redesigned look to provide useful information and streamlined user experience.”

Looks nice, but I would think “Recent” would be a better default. I edit existing places more than I create them.

Edit: Also, is this layout hardcoded into Studio, or is it similar to the old layout in the sense that it just loads a webpage (currently https://www.roblox.com/ide/welcome)

6 Likes

:ok_hand: love it

I have a request though, how about an option to log in from multiple accounts and be able to switch them like gmail?

1 Like

Once you open a place

1. Switch to the Plugins tab
  2. Click “Manage Plugins”
  3. Click “Find Plugins”

This is hard to find so we will look into making this easier to discover in future updates.

15 Likes

This takes away the ability to easily access plugins for downloading. I would recommend adding some kind of “open in studio” button on the website that will open the plugin page in ROBLOX Studio to make up for this change.

10 Likes

I don’t see any tabs in the screenshot. How can we access them?

2 Likes