Updates to Item Holding Periods [Marketplace]

Trading is meant to be fast paced, items can drop in recent average price and “Value” which are created by traders for each and every item, if the item is slow moving its bound to drop. it kills demands and everything, its a lot of things to interpret and i think so many people will respond to this one going crazy lol.

Trading has been ruined, 100% and its kinda sad to see

11 Likes

There are many way better ways to improve the security revolving the trading system on Roblox, here is a few examples.

• Make this sytem a setting locked behind 2FA. People who really need it, can have it enabled.
  • Add 2FA to every single trade.
  • Remove the 5 minute window where you can accept any trade you want, after putting the code. This is a very common method account hijackers use to get peoples items without having the 2FA code.
10 Likes

What if item X becomes less valuable during the 2 day holding period? Will User B get in trouble for selling to User A if User A decides to contact Roblox support to potentially get the trade reversed? Or will User A just take the loss, when User A could’ve just immediately traded away item X had there been no holding period?

Trading is fast-paced, the 2 day holding period deletes the fast-pacedness of item values and trading. Hope this helps.

13 Likes

Most people trade with the intention to profit, not just to swap items for ones they like a bit more. And as most people want to make profit the margins to make profit are often times quite slim on every trade which is why people want to do lots of trades in order to make a lot of profit. And this update ruins the potential to do that by slowing down the process.

10 Likes

It normally works like that however User A and User B would also repeat this process several times within the same day or week and if you don’t have a lot of items to work with it could be crippling to your progress if you want to make enough profit to finally afford a Dominus for example. It’s really detrimental to people who want to work their way up from having almost nothing, people who already have items worth hundreds of thousands won’t have a much different experience but there’s also so much less people trading with that much in value.

4 Likes

Ok, but a non trader will wonder why are you trying to sell an item that you just bought. You didn’t want it to begin with you just wanted to flip is as the price goes up hopefully. That is trading I guess. (as in day trading stocks)

Its a different function of trading. So I guess the day trading of limiteds has been killed.

Trading of items that you want to keep hasn’t been killed.

5 Likes

New traders who want to trade up to items they want will now be unable to make a lot of profit and therefore heavily struggle to reach items that they want.

The trading community is going to be severely damaged by this, not the people who wish to trade items they already own for an item they want and can afford then never trade again.

10 Likes

I don’t think the holding period is related to the value, it is related to the validity of the trade. Was the account compromised or was it a legit trade. You have 2 days to figure it out.

I wouldn’t think a drop in value would reverse a trade during the holding period, but idk.

4 Likes

Please stop doing “what-ifs” and mentioning “non-traders.”

Non-traders are not effected because they’re non-traders. This doesn’t concern them. The progress towards “trading of items you want to keep” has been exponentially slowed down. From what used to take months will now take several years if you are not able to complete trades to getting higher RAP and Value quickly.

End of discussion.

12 Likes

When did we all as a developer request for this change? We only requested IT FOR UGC. KEYWORD UGC

17 Likes

Will the rap difference matter on the holding period?

5 Likes

They could honestly fix the update by changing the pending times from days to hours and get rid of the 30-wait period altogether.

I think item holds are a good way to improve security since I’ve seen many traders suffer from scamming, getting stolen limiteds unknowingly, account break-ins, etc.

The only reason people hate them right now is because the wait periods are simply too long, so I do think that massively decreasing the amount of time alone can make this update a lot more useful imo.

Since many traders can usually get hacked and lose everything simply because everything can be traded so quickly, I just find it best if they simply improve this concept instead of getting rid of it.

3 Likes

Security would be a non-issue if they had considered enforcing 2 Factor Authentican for all trades. There’s tons of better solutions for account security and they chose to do “holding periods.” At some point, Roblox will have to fault the user for getting hacked. Their “one rollback only” system already does wonders combined with their 2 Factor Authentication. They need to stop crippling a feature for the sake of “security” when at some point nothing can be done and it’s just a loss.

18 Likes

i think roblox should start to listen and go back to turning old items limited and also revert these holding periods and trash, honestly its so sad seeing roblox go so community disfunct and incompetant so fast its actually insane.

roblox really for real trashed trading so badly in 2023 its an embarrassment

19 Likes

Again, lot’s of nonsense. If you don’t know anything regarding the situation, then don’t comment on it. Simple.

14 Likes

Though you guys were trying to listen from community input, guess not. Isn’t the first time, hope y’all are happy :smiley:

16 Likes

I feel like the concept of the trading holding period is great, but it should rather be optional and the length of the holding period should be the users choice.

9 Likes

If you don’t have any light to shed, why post. Others have added information to explain the plight of the trader effectively. I was trying to help someone else get the perspective of the trader that was missing from the discussion. This was achieved.

5 Likes

That’s exactly my point, hence why I’m suggesting that this feature is only active for trades with a significant RAP difference. I don’t see any point in this update besides Roblox trying to prevent accounts from being compromised.

I have traded on my own for several years and all my profits are thanks to the fact that trading is fast paced. I can trade whatever I want for anything and trade the items I get from that specific trade for something else in about 20 minutes and make profit. A 2 day holding period would make profiting close to impossible, unless you’re trading big items (2M+). Barely anybody can afford that.

12 Likes

I think I heard somewhere that Roblox wanted UGC Creators to make the catalog, but this is one heck of a way to ruin trading because of the amount of low value UGC Limiteds that are going to be made that nobody will want.

The fact that there is going to be a holding period for ALL Limiteds is basically going to cripple the Trade feature.

8 Likes