Updates to the Roblox Terms of Use [January 2024]

I hope this feature is not using “Switch Accounts”, that was made for basically no reason.

25 Likes

Me too tbh but i think we’ll see a explanation maybe later idk?

17 Likes

My guess is that you won’t see a list of alternate accounts a user has, but instead banning a user with the :Ban() function will automatically make it so all their alternate accounts are banned as well. And it will obviously be server-side only.

19 Likes

ah crap, they added more rules im forced to follow

28 Likes

This is a great step up for Roblox communicating with us! Thank you for the detailed rundown of the changed terms and explanations for the rational so the community can be on the same page as you guys! We really appreciate this.

21 Likes

Thanks for more clarity on game discovery. It reiterated most things I’ve learned but in a more concrete way.

I wonder what “performance” in context means. I assume it means that games that crash often are put down more than those that do not crash as often. But, that “performance” could also mean how well the game is ‘performing’ in metrics like D1 Retention. Then again, it does state that the algorithm takes into account “experience content”, “popularity”, and “quality”. That last one can be subjective for sure.

I’ve updated My Research on the Roblox Algorithm & Discovery for Experiences/Games with this info.

As an aside, I’d love to be able to search by popularity myself to find more niche games. I know this is something David mentioned in a Tech Talk, semantic search by CCU or DAU. I don’t think semantic search is user friendly and the UX would be better if done via filters. The use of popularity as a metric for the algorithm makes sense for the majority. It reaffirms growth for what is already popular, giving a sense of stability that other games wouldn’t have. But, again, I’d like a way to find that niche content myself without semantic search.

I hope this message reaches someone as it can feel like I’m talking to a void, but I digress. Awesome changes, glad to see clarity.

12 Likes

“If we find an Experience in which a significant portion of Users are egregiously violating the Roblox Terms, Roblox reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to moderate the Experience if the developer does not take reasonable actions to limit the violative behavior.”

Good Lord above this has been a LONG time coming
although, i wonder if roblox will actually moderate the games or if its just another empty promise, time will tell.

I assume this is the alt account detection feature that was talked about before? personally, im not too keen on this feature, sure, it’ll stop hackers from joining games on an alt after being banned, but it’ll also stop people from playing games if they’ve been falsely banned, if their main account got terminated, etc. I feel like there is too many variables for this to work well, especially if this is the same system that will roll out for platform wide use.

"Roblox wants all Creators to develop their own ideas. Unless Creator has express written permission or a written license from the content creator to do so, Creator must not copy or make any modification to someone else’s item, content, or UGC and Publish it as Creator’s own content. "

this is pretty vague, how im understanding it is that any copyrighted content WILL be striked down if they don’t have a license, so that means games like blox fruits, TSB, and any other fan game or thing similar will be removed, similarly to what happened with the recent MHA game controversy; But i may just be reading too deep into this rule.

Despite all that, its good that roblox is making it clearer when they update the terms of use and rules, we love to see clarity from a company who’s services we use practically every day :saluting_face:

16 Likes

I assume the ban API is just something that’ll stop rule breakers from playing your game, there will obviously be more in depth use but its probably just a way to replace writing your own ban scripts.

about alt account detection, however; I have three theories.

1. It detects based on IP address (horrible system but probably easy to implement)
  2. it uses HWID to detect alt accounts (easily spoofed but the safest option)
  3. it uses the switch accounts feature, like how @thedauser said. (easily bypassed by just using another browser :skull_and_crossbones:)

I personally believe the third option is most likely, considering how utterly useless the switch accounts feature is, and how it was only added quite recently; Possibly in preperation for this update.

8 Likes

Thanks for calling this to our attention. The link has been fixed.

15 Likes

Thank you for this update. Roblox is trully becoming a better place :slight_smile:

I will be using the Ban API!

12 Likes

Just dont use switch accounts feature

Log out and log into your alt. Log out of your alt and log into your main.

17 Likes

Look forward to the Ban API! Should be great for us. Will there be a system that can appeal these bans?

11 Likes

this is not good for people who create games (basicially most games like “rate my avatar” gonna be wiped off pretty quickly for NSFW decals and stuff and only because their playerbase uses those NSFW decals in their game)

in this new ToS update you are responsible for player’s behavior in your game this means you must prevent toxicity and stuff if you dont prevent your playerbase from doing bad things against roblox tos then ur game gonna be deleted off roblox

source: https://x.com/Roblox_RTC/status/1747113196912021525?s=20

18 Likes

Skill issue to the developers who don’t care child saftey.

16 Likes

true true i agree with your statement

12 Likes

I think everyone does that already, I really don’t see how they’re gonna detect alt accounts considering every option i’ve thought of has some of the easiest bypasses to get past these detections.

12 Likes

I’m not sure how I feel about this, on the one hand, I love it. I think that being able to ban alternative accounts is amazing. As well as, if Roblox contacts the developer about players breaking terms of service, can we have like a webhook (like we did with gpdr) to automate our reporting workflow? What if moderation is false (like 95% of the time and they did nothing wrong), what do we do there? get banned from roblox because moderation is not the best? Are you guys going to actually think about appeals?

However, if a person had two accounts dating back years (because of whatever the reason is, mine was one was to test play my game to see if some feature bugs out for a default player and not a developer or something (for fake data to make sure everything works with a default player; yes this is how I did it back then please do not come after me).

10 Likes

plr:Kick() exists to? Also, you can appeal moderation warning/bans/terminations

10 Likes

I also have this fear, I had two accounts that got terminated, one was terminated for a bad decal (it was an evangelion title card, go search it up if you haven’t seen them) and the other was terminated for saying a SINGLE bypass, two years has passed since those accounts, so obviously my worry was about if my mains/other alts would also get terminated since these two got terminated too.

Now, looking at the wording, it seems to detect alts ONLY if the main account has been terminated or banned, so you shouldn’t worry about situations like that.
If it DOES work like that, where your mains will get banned because of your alt, as long as you’re logged out of those said alt accounts, it shouldn’t be an issue (since i highly doubt roblox would track the HWID/IP of a terminated account that has been logged out of since 2020); Theres really nothing to worry about in that situation.

only in certain situations (eg. 2 weeks is a cut off point and no appeals will be accepted) equally, we all know how bad the appeal system is, so thats practically like saying “If you shoot a target in the dark, sometimes it will hit!” when we both know 9/10 you’ll miss the target.

11 Likes

Oh god i forgot about rate my avatar, that is one of my favourite games on the platform but the amount of bypasses and bad actors in that game will definitely get it banned now that this rule is in place

only divine intervention will save it now

11 Likes