Upgraded Materials, Material Manager, and More!

The realism in this is insane… I am honestly lost for words.

1 Like

Having the same issue as well.

Seems that tonight’s update has broken custom textures completely. What was my own custom brick texture became the standard wood texture and has now become a slate texture for no reason. My grass was metal and now doesn’t even show a texture. Couple of other textures were also broken.

My textures used to always be broken for the first time I launched after an update but even after relaunching Studio, they’re still broken which is a real shame.

Hope they fix this asap as all my games work off these same textures, and it’s really irritating not having the textures working as I can’t see what needs a different texture and whatnot. :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

You can make new materials yes, but i do not see how you can use the new materials in the terrain material selection tab under brushes. I only see the option to use one set new material, and only one only per terrain texture.

TL:DR, new terrain materials instead of having to replace terrain textures plz

They use completely different shaders. It’s not possible within reason.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be nice if inserting a new part would not default it’s material to plastic? Since you updated the materials tab to the manager thing, it no longer auto-applies the previous material to newly inserted parts. This is kind of a pain, and I hope that you guys improve that at some point in the future.

And again, for simply changing the material of a part or model, its unnecessarily complex, and the dropdown worked a LOT better. Not to mention materials like neon, glass, and forcefield don’t even appear on the material manager, and will only show up on the dropdown in the part properties menu.

1 Like

Still though, you should do that without a plugin. What about games that dont care that much about tiling? It’s not fun.

2 Likes

seems to only be organic materials that are broken. switching it to a regular pattern works for now

2 Likes

I had all my materials set to organic so that’ll explain it haha. Turned all the textures back to regular and they all work fine now. Cheers. :+1:

Seems to be an issue now,

Randomly all parts I am using custom texture with the Materials Manager ( Clicking on a part + Apply To selected Part

Now when I load into studio I get weird texture popping etc

Reloading studio does not fix this.

11 Likes

or like if you want to rotate it 45 degrees, there is no possible way for it to. :disappointed:

1 Like

The custom organic texture bug is still around, but somehow my custom grass texture now looks like an improved version of the new grass with less bright white flowers that melt better with the texture, less tiling (because it’s organic or maybe it’s the ground color?) and scaled down (5 studs per tile).

But on certain angles it keeps changing the material so it’s not stable, maybe i’m seeing the updated version of the new grass?

Anyways, it’d be cool if the material pattern and studs per tile options where available for the new roblox materials.

Edit: My custom grass is completely different from what i’m showing

3 Likes

It appears the Organic pattern type doesn’t work right.

7 Likes

for me to
it shows the wrong texture

Well, another bug report about Organic pattern, it seems to crash Roblox Studio once I set my MaterialVariant to that pattern style.

Reproduction steps: Use a normal image as BaseColor(only BaseColor, no other maps), then set Part MaterialVariant to that Variant, then set the pattern to Organic and it will crash Roblox Studio.

Looks like a scary jumpscare :happy1:
imagen

7 Likes

Has there been any information as to whether or not this feature will include the Water material? I know I’ve asked this at an earlier point in the thread but I thought it would be good to bring it up again.

The ability to make our own water materials would make this update a whole lot better in my opinion, and would make creating things like lava and acid way easier!

5 Likes

Does anyone know when is it officially coming out?

3 Likes

I would absolutely love the waterblock. I’m assuming it would be easy to change the texture to something like magma (which you could program to fall through and take damage in?) Maybe even a changeable density so you could do something like quicksand!

I also agree with the leaves texture.

1 Like

I would love to see a studs per tile for both materials and surface appearance (from what I can tell it doesn’t exist).

1 Like

Loving the new abilities this update has given us, and I’ve not experienced many issues other than some of the bugs many developers have already reported.

One thing I’ve noticed that looks off, though, is a big color difference between close-by parts with accurate specular highlights and far-away parts which have an estimated color, if that wording makes sense. This also causes noticeable Z-Fighting between clipping parts of the same Color/Material at lower graphics levels.

This can be seen in the images below, and is much more noticeable on low graphics levels.

Images

Graphics level 10:

Graphics level 3:

This effect is much less noticeable when using the default Concrete material in place of my custom MaterialVariant.

1 Like

How do we change material of parts now? Only way I’ve found is either the “Apply to selected parts” or the actual material property in the properties panel. Not only that but the neon material is not even in the new menu. This new functionality has disturbed our workflow, you will return the drop down menu.