Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

Yeah that’s what @Sameerzz said.

1 Like

Yeah, and so did i. Everyone wants this not just us

3 Likes

the materials do not seem to save in team create, they appear for me but not for the other person.

EDIT: they also do not appear in-experience if the game is a group game and team create game

2 Likes

It’s because this is a beta version. Once the full release is out, it will work in the website, and on team create.

3 Likes

that explains it :sweat_smile:
alright, thanks

2 Likes

A feature like this would be of great use in fine-tuning material properties.
Example below:

13 Likes

Yeah! i’d love that i am hoping for roblox to add this

1 Like

Could this opened through a script like looking for this file in roblox.

1 Like

Uhm what do you mean and what are you even talking about i’m so confused-

1 Like

I mean some hacking way making file move or bug.

When trying this new feature, I thought I could just use the texture I was using for Texture instances but looks like not. The texture just displays black, and someone told me I am forced to use PBR textures.

I was excited for the feature because finally I would be able to replace the amount of Texture instances in my game, but welp. Looks like I can’t just use the texture id in those Texture instances with this feature. Could you guys add a Texture property to the MaterialVariant? If the Texture property contains an ID it will display that instead of the PBR texture.

2 Likes

At last, our dreams are coming true, can’t wait for this and custom terrain materials!
(Edit: you should be able to add custom materials instead of replacing the existing ones)

3 Likes

U could put the texture id in color maps. It would work too

I tried and it looked black:

3 Likes

Yes, we have plan for this, i.e. you can check Per-Part Customization above.

8 Likes

Thank you for replying, though I got yet another question, will terrain materials have a similar feature where we can add more materials than the existing ones or will it be only for parts/meshes?

Hey. That’s cool! I want to ask. Is there a planned change in the terrain itself in terms of the grid. Now I’ll show you what I mean:

When the terrain is deformed on ue4, I can do it in great detail. So if I need to make footprints in snow/mud, it looks like this:

This is how it looks on roblox(this is maximum that I could achieve):

Please, I hope for answer :pray:

17 Likes

This is a global slider, if you want to change it per object it would be cool but globally would suck if you have really specific normal maps. but still is a possibility

2 Likes

I am very excited for this update!!! This is truly a game changer imo! I can’t wait too start using custom materials in my work! This is one of the best updates yet(right next to future is bright ;D)

1 Like

Rule of thumb for metalness and roughness maps:

If it is white, it is a metal/it is very rough.
If it is black, it is NOT metal/rough.

Rough means how much it reflects.

Examples of each:

A silver mirror would have a pure white metalness map, and a pitch black roughness map since silver is a metal and to reflect well, it cannot be rough at all.

An escalator step does not reflect much light but is metal, so it has a white metalness map and a light grey/white roughness map.

Glossy marble floors would be shiny but marble is NOT metal, so a black image for metalness map and a black image for the roughness map.

Concrete is not metal but very rough, so a black metalness map image is used and a white roughness map is used.

6 Likes