Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

This is perfect! Now, I can put Tesco all over my place without needing to add the Texture instance!

For real though, this is really useful. I can’t wait to see how people will use this!

5 Likes

Okay, I think I see the difference now, the built-in plank has a starting corner that is predictable.

2 Likes

yes, changing the color won’t affect the terrain texture

1 Like

Which material did you replace? And you’re saying changing the color here does nothing:

So the new terrain materials are still coming? If so, do you have any update on it?

We have enabled TeamCreate support for MaterialService beta. Please let us know if you find any issues related to TeamCreate. Thank you.

13 Likes

Asphalt, and yes it doesn’t do anything when i use the custom terrain.

1 Like

I could make it bright pink and it won’t change

Hmm, interesting. I didn’t even realize the material replacements even worked with terrain materials, maybe the coloring is something they’ll change before the release.

In the OP example screenshots, they didn’t change the cobblestone or grass terrain materials in the before/after shots.

If you try replacing a different material does it make any difference in the tint of your replaced material? Like, replacing ice vs asphalt.

1 Like

What i think would be awesome would be that ability to create new Material overrides. For example i would like to have Leaves or Dirt and instead of overriding Foil or Pebble to suit my needs i could create a new Override to allow them to be used with the part or allow me to have multiple Bricks for different style homes etc.

5 Likes

Thanks, I’ve been looking forward to this! I’ll let you know if I find any issues.

An awesome beta feature! Can’t wait for the full release. :smiley:

Would it be possible to add the ability to blend materials, as it does on Smooth Terrain, on MeshParts?
It’d be super-duper cool if we’d be able to paint multiple MaterialVariants over MeshParts as well with the blending!

2 Likes

how did you apply a custom material to terrain?

Good question, i will try it as soon as possible. Note I already did a test with the Sand material and it worked out fine

3 Likes

Just tried it, no effect. Thanks though

One thing I think most people haven’t thought about though is why hasn’t Snowterrain became a material yet? I’m begging for it to be added into the basic materials roster and been wanting the snow material to be used for parts.

3 Likes

I had these done as a test for custom materials, but thanks for the feedback…? I’ll look into improving them for the future at some point.

When can we expect custom materials to work in Play mode?

6 Likes

We have no date to share right now, as we want the flexibility to change this feature based on feedback during the beta process. Don’t worry–we recognize you all are excited to use this feature in your published places, and we’re excited to see how you leverage it. We’re pushing hard to get this usable in production experiences!

4 Likes

What I would be interested to see is the ability to not only create new terrain materials, but to be able to define what mesh it uses. I know using a user created mesh could have it’s fair share of issues but to be able to use the shapes that the built in materials already use. For example, you have rock, wood planks and grass that use different shapes to form the terrain. Imagine being able to use the same shape as wood planks (blocky shape) to create voxel like terrain. Would be cool to have different shapes of terrain. Even if using a mesh for each material could be costly, you could also do like a general terrain shape rather than specific shape for each material. Terrain is the closest we have to mesh creation. Seeing Triangle shaped terrain would be nice for creating more complex and crazy terrain as well. It could expand how to customize the terrain in the future!

5 Likes