Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

Totally understand, been there before with Jailbreak update content. I appreciate what you guys are doing, and I appreciate the responses!

10 Likes

I dug around a bit and couldn’t find a precise answer. The general one I received is what’s in the original post. Sorry about that.

7 Likes

Hey, I’m facing issues with uploading the requisite maps to there assigned spot.

3 Likes

Are there any plans to add the ability to create your own decorations. It would be great to be able to add your own textures to the grass, as well as adjust the height, width, density.
I was also very tormented by one question. Will the terrain grid be changed? I mean, will it be more detailed.
As you can see here, it is possible to create a very small footprint

At the same time on roblox it looks like this:

In any case, even if not, will there be an optimal way to create such traces in the future?

10 Likes

The first tower is what having no blending between terrain materials will look like.
The second tower is what the default terrain material looks like with blending.

I wanted to ask if there any plans to add any form of blending that will allow us to define how much or how the material will blend with other materials? Maybe something like a blending value that determines how much the material will blend with others. -1 would be the second material blending into the first material, 0 being no blending at all and 1 would have the first material blending in the second material. With -1 being like a reversed blend and 1 being the normal blend.

17 Likes

Could you share more info/screenshots?

6 Likes

Appreciate the feedback, and we’re aware of these requests. Right now, I have nothing I can share about these.

10 Likes

Right now we’re not focused on allowing more customization of this behavior. Our focus is on shipping useful UGC materials + an upgraded and expanded set of materials.

6 Likes

Yo guys! What paint software do I need to have to do my own textures? like rolling thunder can do.

3 Likes

through some playing around, I figured this could be used as some kind of low-poly terrain creator

11 Likes

Literally my favorite part about this update, the fact we don’t even need to use materials for terrain. Really hope they give us the ability to change the waters material as well or a lot of people are gonna continue resorting to creating our own water systems

4 Likes

why can’t we replace surface appearances by fusing the properties of surface appearances with those of texture and mesh, here’s an example for clarification:

For meshes:

for textures:

5 Likes

The only downside for this is terrain-blending. If only we could somehow control the blending intensity. But, wow. This is actually the coolest thing I’ve probably ever seen. Now, we don’t need to use external programs or spend hours on low poly terrain

5 Likes

I love this feature
now I need:
-Materialcolor
-in game live implementation

then I will be fulfilled completely

2 Likes

I need help! :sweat_smile:

Screenshot 2022-02-05 201135

I forgot which is which, like which one is metalmap, colormap, etc.

Forrest Ground 01 Texture • Poly Haven

4 Likes

Can’t wait till this rolls out for public servers, I’m having to use regular textures for now because I need the use of “OffsetStuds” as seen here -

MaterialService:
Texture above door not lining up

Normal Texture:
Able to offset texture to align with others

Reference Photo:
@_tenritenri on Instagram

Looks really nice to see the tiles pop out though and it also makes the lighting work better so I’ll definitely be switching over to it once this is fully released.

8 Likes

Thanks! Tbh, I was just shocked when I found out about GlobalWind, which they plan to add. It would be great to be able to expose not only grass and clouds to the wind, but also objects, that hang on a rope, clothes (how would like to be able to create a fabric simulation)
Roblox is now releasing crazy updates!

3 Likes

Can someone help me? I forgot which individual goes into the roblox maps.

I know that Rough goes into RoughnessMap and Normal goes in NormalMap, but I don’t know about the rest.

Screenshot 2022-02-05 201135
Screenshot 2022-02-06 080608

Diffuse would go into ColorMap
Doesn’t seem to be a metalness map provided so you probably won’t need a texture for that if it’s not a metallic material

3 Likes

Thank you so much, this helps a ton! :grin: