Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

I like this. Reminds me of those liminal spaces

2 Likes

gotta say it really transforms the low poly industry! here are some builds I’ve made already
feedback is appreciated.

23 Likes

Wow that looks so beautiful, great job! I’ve also attempted to make a low poly map myself, just with terrain.

10 Likes

looks really nice, try swapping the ground material for some sand around the lake. keep up the good work, there are so many new possibilities for low poly styles in Roblox now!

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, how does this look? :wink:

And yeah, imagine how many low poly influenced games would be made after this update is released to the client! I’m already excited, can’t wait for what the community brings us. :grin:

8 Likes

Yah, the current implementation seems really limiting to me. It doesn’t seem very composable as the material is global to every part/mesh.

2 Likes

Can this be added for water???
Ik, at the moment it is NOT, but I really want this to be implemented

2 Likes

OMG EVERYONE, I just had the Best idea for actual BLENDING for water, Like realistic blending with the terrain.

So for the “Snow” (Material Service) I made it so the Snow texture has a Swampy water texture to it. And it doesnt look that bad.

Here is the images for comparison

now ik that the Terrain wont move or anything but if roblox Fixes the water issue, then this could happen. or u can just use those realistic water meshes from the toolbox and use surfaceappearance or materialservice when its fully released.

14 Likes

Question, How did you get so many sharp terrain materials? All I know of is Rock and Basalt

3 Likes

Concrete is a possible material for that

1 Like

Yeah, it seems like Rock, Basalt, Concrete, Cracked Lava, and Pavement all are soemwhat jagged.

4 Likes

Would be helpful. Especially since Roblox wants to change old textures.

3 Likes

Noticed this too. Used the same materialvariant for both terrain slate and part slate, both set to white (although terrain color doesn’t seem to affect materialvariants), but terrain turns green.

2 Likes

Custom terrain materials are temporarily disabled due to crashes. Will be back soon (hopefully next week).
Sorry for the inconvenience.

10 Likes

Just read the new release notes and…

It’s pretty good to see that roblox want’s to preserve the old textures for the old games to keep their style. Since this is a bool value, what will be the default value for this? How would this affect old games? (ex. New games have the value set to true while old games have their value set to false)

5 Likes

Man I was enjoying the custom terrain materials and after relogging studio it’s gone? :sob:

Anyone else lose custom terrain materials from the MaterialService?

2 Likes

This doesn’t mean it’s permanently gone, this just means they are gonna do stuff to it that would solve most of the lag issues people has been having. This also gives them opportunity to add more features if possible

2 Likes

Darn, I was doing a School project using them oof. Dont worry I got meshes hehe

1 Like

I have no Terrain Overrides in my Material Service

2 Likes

The custom terrain materials are currently disabled, if you scroll up a tiny bit you can see that a Roblox Staff said it’ll be back hopefully next week.

5 Likes