Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

Is there any estimate on when custom materials will ship to production?

I’m working on a project for a big publisher who wants their game on the Roblox platform. The project has a tight deadline, expected to release sometime in April.

Would I be at risk building my map with custom materials? I know the team at Roblox is working hard to get this out to production. But would I be taking a gamble considering this is Beta and only available in Studio so far?

The publisher has a quality standard I need to meet, and custom materials provide that exactly, but if this is not expected to ship anytime soon, I’ll need to shift my focus towards creating custom terrain meshes and further on - (which isn’t ideal and a lot of extra work)

4 Likes

If you have a hard deadline to meet it’s best to not use any beta features. Until the feature is actually turned and working on production on there’s always some risk because any complicated feature release could end up breaking some places and needing to be reverted while we fix it.

13 Likes

this is actually a very good update as a scripter it helped me alot

4 Likes

Adding onto @InocuIar’s note about this new fflag - is there any chance that it will be possible to select on a per-material basis which version of each of the built-in engine materials will be utilized, rather than a simple boolean on/off selection for everything at once? I can think of many cases wherein some or most of the new materials may be desired by a developer, but certain materials (especially BasePart.Material.Sand, which has for many years been used across many games in place of snow or fabric) may be disruptive to an existing experience.

2 Likes

When will this be out of beta and visible in-game?

5 Likes

Thats amazing

17 Likes

Jesus stop spamming the same answer if no one answers leave it at that, at this point you’re starting to get annoying

11 Likes

lol sorry i am just tooo exited to get this added, i really need it and i cant wait

3 Likes

Just saw this in the recent patch notes

Any ideas?

4 Likes

Well i guess it’s gonna become public in games later this year cause it says 2022 idk

2 Likes

Very cool upcoming beta feature’s. But I’m wondering that is it possible that we could assign material override for “each part” in the studio.

1 Like

It’s better not use this beta feature in your project. Release date (in game) is not yet determined.

2 Likes

That’s a switch for new built-in materials.

4 Likes

@InocuIar @PolarisWasInDenial
Default value would be false.
Per-material basis is designed to be done by using MaterialVariant.

5 Likes

Cool! Any specific release date for that? Or is it still being worked on?

2 Likes

Thanks for all your engagement on this thread, can you give us a vague unit of time for this going into production? Days, Weeks, Months?

2 Likes

This would be appreciated!! I’d love to know if I can use the material service beta, etc.

1 Like

I sure hope it doesn’t take months :pray:

4 Likes

Looks like it was re-enabled today.

7 Likes

This looks awesome, I am going to use it!

1 Like