Upload GIFs to Studio

Uploading GIFs has always been a very difficult process here on Roblox. Having to upload hundreds of thousands of frames can really take it out if you especially when half of them don’t get approved. Though this feature has been highly requested, I think this is something VITAL for development and should have been a feature long time ago. Is there a reason we haven’t been able to accomplish this yet? It can’t be moderation since we already have a process set in place for Meshes, Decals and Audios. I would happily pay robux to upload GIFs and I think a lot of others would agree with me there. Let me know what you think and if this is a feature you would like to see in the near future!

32 Likes

Gif is an extremely old (1987 – 31 years) and pretty horrible format for animated movement. I doubt internals of the engine natively supports gifs. Gifs waste a ton of bandwidth/storage, and I would not want to have to download them to play a game. I also would not want my players to have to download gifs.

If we’re going to get “animated-picture” support, it should be with videos, not gifs. Videos are much more efficient than gifs.

18 Likes

Would love to see video support too. What about maintaining transparency though?

11 Likes

You can always make a gif using spritesheets. You can use surface- or screenUI or beams to achieve an animated picture effect.

Ex using beams (by Vedrakkerous): https://gyazo.com/147a5490674ed563d36c5d8d543e5d07.gif

4 Likes

Why would anyone upload a gif?

2 Likes

I remember when like every tycoon game had the animated dancing snoop dog in the lobby

21 Likes

It’s possible to make your own gif player by converting a gif to a sprite sheet, uploading it to roblox as a decal, and iterating through its UDim2 values to consecutively display each frame.

1 Like

Why would anyone upload a gif?

I’ve had lots of times where I wanted to upload a gif, though it was normally done with a sprite sheet.

The only times where you would need to upload the frames separately is when they’re going to take up a large portion of the screen, and you need more resolution than the small portion of the image. But for that, I would still prefer that roblox adds a video option.

For now, GIFS are not that hard to make, just a pain when it comes to uploading.

2 Likes

Not really. Images get compressed down to 1000x1000px (or something around that) so to have decent quality you’d only be able to upload 4 frames per spritesheet at 512x512px

1024x1024

1 Like

Allowing gifs/videos would make moderation even more of a nightmare than it already is

4 Likes

Imagine what copyright infringement would look like if we allowed GIF/Video. Moderation would be the death of Roblox.

1 Like

Its already the death of roblox

Also, a gif in a game can be done just as @darkhero149 said.

3 Likes