Uploadable in-game videos

They would be able to be viewed/watched in-game

Reasons;
[ul]
[li]Show players a quick 30 second video ‘how to play’[/li]
[li]Show players a cut scene without using the engine (aka a video perhaps made in blender or other 3D software)[/li]
[li]Show players a intro for your game (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YViI17KBzLI) [/li]
[li]Show players a custom made load screen[spoiler]

[/spoiler] [/li]
[/ul]

Perhaps GUI elements could also be put on top of the videos to show the current % of loading

The only con would be moderating but let’s just rewind a second here, saying uploadable audio wasn’t out yet and I just suggested it chances are you’d still say no or point to moderation issues. Having this in-game would certainly raise the bar for ROBLOX and encourage more users to create high quality games with better mechanics and an easier way to tell storyline which is practically the backbone of any game today.

Sure there are already ways of doing the things I suggested but chances are;
[ol]
[li]You won’t get the result you wanted if you was say looking for load screen 3 or 2 in examples[/li]
[li]The audio for your cut scene will be iffy or the cut scene could jump[/li]
[li]Showing players how to play through text (some kids can’t read or have dyslexia) a video is more engaging [/li]
[li]You won’t have to upload a whole bunch of decals and audio [/li]
[/ol]
I was thinking it would cost 2000R$-5000R$ originally to upload them but later down the line (like gallery videos) decrease in price a little.

Personally, I would use this for a cut scene as I could easily make something in another program like Vegas or if I wanted to try going the animation route, 3D blender. If not cut scenes I would make a ‘how to’ video on Friend Connections (how to play, interact, change icons)

Update:
Another idea is that Videos would be streamed via YouTube (max 45 seconds long) but the URL must be added to the config page, additionally on the in-game menu you could tick a box (off be default) that will save videos locally or manually select ones you want to be saved with a list of currently saved videos and their place ID. Saving all videos or ones you select will take away the streaming element and makes it a lot easier to play the video.

10 Likes

Would be a huge moderation effort, but for 2000 R$ it seems reasonable. Better than mass uploading decals plus audio in my opinion.

3 Likes

I can definitely understand this appealing to more big time developers that are often on the front page, something like this would definitely make the game feel a lot more…corporate? It certainly adds an element of branding, this would therefore be great to target at users who make much more money from their games thus making the 2k price seem a lot more reasonable.

Still, even with that said I think 2-5k is maybe still too much. I would say start at 2k max though and then reduce it to 1k if not a little less.

1 Like

[quote] I can definitely understand this appealing to more big time developers that are often on the front page, something like this would definitely make the game feel a lot more…corporate? It certainly adds an element of branding, this would therefore be great to target at users who make much more money from their games thus making the 2k price seem a lot more reasonable.

Still, even with that said I think 2-5k is maybe still too much. I would say start at 2k max though and then reduce it to 1k if not a little less. [/quote]
I did originally put 2kR$ but put it in a range to see what people would say 2k sounds like a reasonable starting price

I love the idea. Moderation shouldn’t be an issue considering the moderate our video advertisements. Shoot I love this idea so much, I’d moderate them for free.

1 Like

I support this, however, uploading videos to roblox is not something new that is moderated. As you probably know, you can upload a 30 second max video as a thumbnail for your game for only 500 robux, and I’m willing to bet that it is moderated before it is approved. The only difference is the in-game issue and how it will play in game.

ie: will it stream it from the internet?, or will it “download” into each server when it starts?

then there is also the part with rendering, using it on surfacesguis, guis in general, etc.

Personally I see a use for videos. But only in 2D enviroment. 3D sounds awsome, but perheaps that would be a next stage ?

#Stage 1 : 2D
#Stage 2 : 3D (SurfaceGUIs)

[quote] I support this, however, uploading videos to roblox is not something new that is moderated. As you probably know, you can upload a 30 second max video as a thumbnail for your game for only 500 robux, and I’m willing to bet that it is moderated before it is approved. The only difference is the in-game issue and how it will play in game.

ie: will it stream it from the internet?, or will it “download” into each server when it starts?

then there is also the part with rendering, using it on surfacesguis, guis in general, etc. [/quote]
My idea is that it would be a GUI element ‘VideoFrame’ and you could pre-load it

[quote] Personally I see a use for videos. But only in 2D enviroment. 3D sounds awsome, but perheaps that would be a next stage ?

#Stage 1 : 2D
#Stage 2 : 3D (SurfaceGUIs) [/quote]
What I mean about 3D is taking a video exported from blender with a animated cut scene on and using that to help tell story. Although I see what you mean and that would be cool :woohoo:

“im gonna give my players a better loading experience by making them load my loading screen”

If we get this and you do that I will be very disappointed. The only real use for this is tutorials. Anything like a loading screen is going to be massively counter productive and anything during gameplay is going to be annoying and intrusive. A cutscene is going to end up looking blurry and ugly for anyone who isn’t watching in 1080p (I can’t watch anything above 360p, personally, and not even that when I’m downloading a ton of roblox assets).

I don’t think this is a necessary feature because there aren’t many practical uses for it.

1 Like

Yes, Because let’s turn down cool features in the name of traditionalism… Changes to the system have made roblox what it is today. In-game tutorials would give users a better experience overall and the games would look more polished.

Gif’s would be cool to upload.

1 Like

Yes, Because let’s turn down cool features in the name of traditionalism… Changes to the system have made roblox what it is today. In-game tutorials would give users a better experience overall and the games would look more polished.[/quote]

…The only practical use would be loading screens…[/quote]

Even that’s not a practical use as Ethan stated.

To be honest this is a wonderful idea and hopefully in due time it happens. but you have to think about the security issues and what can players do with videos and what harm it can do to roblox.

Personally I don’t see any use for Videos anymore, expect that it would be cool.

I would say that you can make a really nice Tutorial if we can actually upload ‘GIFs’. So if ROBLOX offered that option, then honestly you don’t have any issue anymore with your Loading Screen or ‘Interactive’ Tutorials.

ROBLOX is not meant for Video footage. (And will only have a lot of Copyright material that needs to be moderated…)

I think the fact of the matter is, this just isn’t going to be seen for sometime. I imagine it’s been discussed many times in the conference rooms about what cool new feature they should add, but probably placed at the bottom of the agenda. I can understand the reasoning behind this, but I personally can’t see myself using this feature. This all said, it’d be amazing to see animations expanded to make cut scenes a reality, and with the new sound update, having them all sync with audio could be perfect.

As for what I think currently, I think it’d be good to be able to show the gallery videos in-game, but nothing more than that.

[quote] Personally I don’t see any use for Videos anymore, expect that it would be cool.

I would say that you can make a really nice Tutorial if we can actually upload ‘GIFs’. So if ROBLOX offered that option, then honestly you don’t have any issue anymore with your Loading Screen or ‘Interactive’ Tutorials.

ROBLOX is not meant for Video footage. (And will only have a lot of Copyright material that needs to be moderated…) [/quote]
Please…

<insert 90% of the audio catalog here>

With this feature it would bring ROBLOX closer to being an industry standard game development platform

ROBLOX isn’t trying to be Unity. It’s ROBLOX.

[quote] Personally I don’t see any use for Videos anymore, expect that it would be cool.

ROBLOX is not meant for Video footage. (And will only have a lot of Copyright material that needs to be moderated…) [/quote]
Please…

[/quote]

Sure, make it worse . We don’t need any more ‘Copyrighted’ material on ROBLOX, and if ROBLOX receives a takedown request they will take it down.

It would be a huge relief if ROBLOX actually provided a Sound ‘Library’, with all kind of neat sounds

ROBLOX isn’t trying to be Unity. It’s ROBLOX.[/quote]
ROBLOX however is trying to attract more players and more there would be more players if the games were actually more high-quality and intuitive.

ROBLOX isn’t trying to be Unity. It’s ROBLOX.[/quote]
ROBLOX however is trying to attract more players and more there would be more players if the games were actually more high-quality and intuitive.[/quote]
And they are trying to change the “it’s ROBLOX” view to “a great developer platform”

[quote] [quote=“Juriaan” post=113486]Personally I don’t see any use for Videos anymore, expect that it would be cool.

Please…

[/quote]

Sure, make it worse . We don’t need any more ‘Copyrighted’ material on ROBLOX, and if ROBLOX receives a takedown request they will take it down.

It would be a huge relief if ROBLOX actually provided a Sound ‘Library’, with all kind of neat sounds[/quote]
Really, that still doesn’t warrant it. That’s like someone steeling my audio and never finding out it was used in a game, just because I don’t know about it doesn’t mean it’s not copyright and my work isn’t protected,

I bet PSY and many other artists have no idea it’s happening and a small percent of them don’t even know what ROBLOX is. If it was globally known like LOR for example ROBLOX would be getting takedown requests left right and center and the catalog next to empty (except those artists who don’t care about it and those who create audio)