Use of UGC content in games

Previous threads included: ‘Can UGC hats be used for my game’ and ‘Concerned about using UGC content in game’

However, the TOS have since been updated. They now stipulate the following:

Ownership of UGC and License Grant to Roblox. For any UGC that you have ever Provided or that you will Provide (whether created solely by you or together with others) (a) between you and us or you and users, you retain all copyrights that you may hold in the UGC, and (b) in consideration of using the Service and the potential to earn Robux as discussed in the Robux section, you grant us a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free right and license (with the right to sublicense to any person or entity, whether a user of the Service or not) to host, store, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform (including by means of digital audio transmissions and on a through-to-the-audience basis), reproduce (including in timed synchronization to visual images), modify, create derivative works of, distribute, and use in any way the UGC that you Provide, in whole or in part, including modifications and derivative works, in any media or formats (tangible or intangible) and through any media, items or channels (online, offline, or others, now known or hereafter developed), including for publicity and marketing purposes (except that you are not granting us any license to make new or derivative video games using your UGC). Kindly note that if you Provide UGC (such as a catalog item or other items to or for the Service), you do not have the right to remove or modify that UGC (unless Roblox provides tools for you to remove or modify that specific type of UGC, or unless otherwise required by law). When using the Service, you may be prompted to grant other Roblox users the right to use your UGC. If you agree to grant this right, other users may use your UGC to create their own games and other UGC on the Service, and you will not be entitled to any revenue that those other users earn, even if they use your UGC.

So, my question is, has there been any clarification on whether UGC is allowed to be used in-game if you provide an option for users to purchase said items via your game?

Similarly, is there any method of determining whether a UGC creator has allowed other Roblox users to use their UGC in game(s)?

This all seems very legally obscure, especially as these items are often available through free models where developers could potentially unwittingly use these items in their games and infringe on a UCG creator’s rights. If anyone has any further information on this I would greatly appreciate it.

14 Likes

they must be trolling us:

All Roblox IP is the property of Roblox and Roblox’s licensors. Roblox IP includes UGC licensed to Roblox by Creators under the Creator Terms

however

Creator retains all copyrights that Creator may hold in the UGC, (excluding any Roblox IP that may be contained therein)

So apparently Roblox IP includes your UGC which you have a copyright to except when it’s Roblox’s IP.

referring back to the first quote, “the Creator Terms” are definied in “Section 10”. however Section 10 only refers to "

1. Ownership of Roblox IP/UGC Created Within an Experience".

WITHIN an experience. not UGC created outside of an experience (i didnt even know you could make UGC within an experience).

they’re either trolling or think we’re stupid.

if a big enough game studio sued roblox to get their UGC off of Roblox, i doubt this ToS would hold up in court. like the Gucci store on Roblox, imagine they wanted to cut ties with Roblox. now what, Roblox has rights to all of Gucci’s branding on Roblox? What about Gillette World and stuff like that. Roblox retains the right to reproduce Gillette brand razor models? no one has the money to test this, but eventually it’ll come.