What catalog items are okay for use?

When I say ‘okay’, I’m not asking about compatibility. I’m asking whether I can take the ID of any item in the catalog and insert that item into my game for use.

Specifically, I would like to get clothing for my numerous Humanoid NPCs. While I’m not looking to snazzily dress up each one with a full set of meshes, I would like what they wear to be relevant to where they are in the game. For example, if the NPC is in an icy cave, then I would prefer blue and grey clothing with warm ornaments.

I’m not concerned about using the shirts and pants that have clearly been copied/botted thousands of times, but I’m more sceptical about mindlessly using the gear and accessories that have been modelled by individuals.

3 Likes

after a quick search I have found numerous threads asking the same questions, please be sure to search before posting next time

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/is-it-okay-to-make-a-catalog-sim-game-using-ugc/384845

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/determining-what-ugc-i-can-use-within-my-games/453741
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/catalog-ugc-gaining-permission/522317

Don’t use other people’s stuff without permission

5 Likes

So, even the free botted stuff is off limits?

Stealing a stolen item is still stealing… you are stealing from a Pirate and it’s still a crime

Creating your own assets is your best option , second best would be asking for permission from the original owners

2 Likes

So what’s the best alternate way to dress up the NPCs? Colouring in the body parts?
I’ve only added clothing to two of the NPCs so far.

I believe the stuff made by the official ROBLOX account is free to use in your game as Roblox hasn’t seem to have taken action against using them. If you go to any Roblox game with NPCs or characters besides the player’s avatar, you are most likely to encounter a character with some official Roblox items that can be found in the Catalog Avatar Shop.

2 Likes

Is there a way to create your own assets for free if only you are using them? If not, I think Agent_person’s suggestion is what I would do.

1 Like

Just ask the UGC creator if its okay.

Most clothing creators are extremely hard to reach.
As I said, if uploading my own stuff costs money, I think that the best option would be to use ROBLOX-made content.

If your wanting to use ugc items created by other creators. You’ll need to ask for permission before using any UGC product in your game don’t use any UGC in your game without getting approval from it’s proper owners you can reach them via twitter - forum.

Do you mean Roblox items or hats created by ugc creators? If so asking for permission is the best approach to take if you’re wanting to use Roblox made items there open sourced meaning you don’t have to ask for permission from my understanding. There are a few threads going into detail about this.

1 Like

Although I appreciate it is frustrating people don’t use the searchbar as intended, I do feel like OP made the right decision to post this.

I agree with the statement that you shouldn’t use other people’s stuff without permission but there’s no consensus as to whether this is allowed or not. There hasn’t been any official statement from Roblox and currently, it’s quite legally murky (esp. in regard to ToU/S) as to whether you would be in any trouble if you did go ahead and do this.

Imo, the best option at the moment is to (1) provide a purchase prompt for any of these items to allow UGC creators to profit from their creations in your game (2) not to make any of the UGC items buyable content in which you would profit from it (in-game currency or IRL currency) and (3) providing a method for UGC creators to contact you to remove the items from the game if they wish.

I appreciate that the latter point will make some users squirm but most UGC creators haven’t got a definitive way to reach them to ask for permission - some have messenging turned off / your message will become lost in a sea of messages, haven’t got twitter etc.

4 Likes