User Interface Design - Feedback

Hello, I am currently designing my ui for my game, there are photos below that will show what I have came up with so far. Please be straight to the point and don’t be afraid to give strong comments as this post is meant for judging.

Main Screen - Newly Joined

Main Screen - Settings

Main Screen - Help

Before I move on to making the more complicated elements, I would like to know what can I improve on with the basic elements such as shape, size, layout, font size, colour, shadow, Etc.

Looking forward to your comments :slight_smile:

18 Likes

This is a very futuristic and original UI, I really like how it looks.

3 Likes

This is truly impressive! I’m only a little curious to see how the first one will look with the game logo. :3

2 Likes

I like this design it’s very unique and very authentic it it’s detail and smoothness to the peripheral is very calming also the blurred background makes the GUI pop out to the essential player in a way I haven’t seen before this is truly a great work of art keep up the amazing work :smile:

2 Likes

Looks awesome.

Loveeeeeee blurred backgrounds and then putting the right thing on top of it ohh it makes me happy.

2 Likes

I think it looks really nice. I think the page titles like ‘Settings’ and ‘Help’ Could be a little bit bigger or maybe bold. This then will make the titles of the pages stand out a little bit more to the user so they can easily see what page they are on. Apart from that everything looks very clean and user friendly, great work!

2 Likes

Everyone else is saying how good it looks, and while its a good start, there is some improvements to make.

Just from looking at it, I can see you’ve tried to go for a clean and modern UI. But its not looking clean enough yet. Heres what I found wrong with this.

• The coloured labels on the left aren’t centered. Looks odd.
  • The outline around the button/text is way too cramped. Looks unnatural.
  • The back and settings text isn’t centered.
  • The apple slider buttons looks out of place. (Might just be the green colour)
  • The top line, just below the settings text is very cramped to the “search bar”

That’s just what I’ve noticed from looking at it quickly.
Space things out a little bit, don’t clamp everything together. Good luck!

5 Likes

Loving that blurred background! The UI also looks nice and simple to use. Looking forward to the finishing product!

Would you also consider creating a dark mode for people who prefer darker UI’s? That would be a great addition.

2 Likes

Did someone say Dark Mode? :black_heart:

Yes! I’m definitely working on the dark mode :slight_smile:
Glad to see that you are excited for the final product :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

I would just like to clarify which outline you were referring to?

The coloured buttons’ outline/shadow?
The plain placeholder outline?

1 Like

Yeah, so the coloured ones, the outline is different sizes as you’ve just posted. Are you sure you want to use a shadow on this UI? I think it’d look much cleaner without these coloured shadows on.

The list outline is fine, its the “Toggle” outline, its looks quite cramped.

Edit: Actually if you give me 10 minutes i’ll quickly mockup something to show you what changes i’d make it to look more cleaner.

2 Likes

The red button is selected, which is why the shadow is smaller :slight_smile:

As for your question to push through with the shadows, I initially didn’t plan to add them, but I suppose I could make a few changes :upside_down_face:

Edit: Sure go ahead, I’m excited to see the cleaner version that you have in mind :hugs:

1 Like

Sorry about the late reply. Had other things to do and it took me a bit longer than 10 minutes. Anyway, here is what I’ve envisioned. Not really too sure if it matches up with your game. But I feel it demonstrates some of the fixes for your UI.

It seems you went with an Apple UI so i’ve sorta carried that on a little bit. I did two different versions as I couldn’t decide if I wanted to have gray text on everything or darker text.
Both of these UI’s fix the issues I had with your UI, such as the cramped text in the toggle buttons.

Here is version 1;

This uses gray text for everything nearly and has a green colour on the dropdown selection box.

Here is version 2;

This uses darker text for everything nearly and has a blue colour on the dropdown selection box.

On the left tab I’ve just made the box a little bit grayer to demonstrate that its clicked/hovered on or in use.

For the toggle tabs I’ve done 3 different versions,
Version 1 - Classic version which is what you used in your UI.
Version 2 - Removed the outline, sorta has a unique look to it.
Version 3 - Slightly darker on the inside of the outlines.

For the dropdown menu I decided to go against what you did and went with a more apple UI approach and boxed them off. I’ve also gone fully/half rounded on some of the different stages.(check below)
Stage 1 - How it looks normally, fully rounded.
Stage 2 - All the options are listed, but the top bit is squared instead of rounded, as well as the top of the dropdown menu. Gives it a nice look to it. I’ve also boxed off the selection boxes from the scrollbar
Stage 3 - Stage 3 is where the user has clicked on the selection box and its giving feedback that its been clicked. Demonstrated with a green/blue colour and a tick.

Sorry if I’ve came off as harsh in this. Hopefully you can get your UI looking sleek though! Keep trying and good luck!

2 Likes

This is really what I kinda envisioned my UI design to look like :hushed:

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to create this version, it’s really nice and I will base newer versions of my ui from this amazing design of yours.

My game is a peaceful and serene themed game, so I think you really beat my ui designing to it :relaxed:

Thanks again !

2 Likes

Don’t worry, it happens to us all. We have this amazing design in our head and when we actually create it, it comes out looking different and you can’t really figure out why it doesn’t look as good as it does in your head. Sometimes it just takes another person to steer you in the right direction.

Thank you for the kind words, but thank you for actually posting on the forums and asking for feedback, its always good to see people looking to improve and I’m glad I can be there to assist people in getting better.

I really only reply and do this stuff to people who I’ve seen who have attempted or put effort in. Anyway, your UI is already better than a huge majority of the current ones on roblox(and the front page)

Good luck with your game!

A few final words, I don’t know how many different types of UI’s you’ve been through, but don’t be afraid to throw old designs out if you don’t think it works(You’ll get used to it after a while). Don’t be afraid to go against the “norm” and try different things to give yourself a unique UI.

If you need more help or advice, just post on the forums or message me. I’m always here and willing to steer people into the correct direction.

6 Likes

This looks awesome and original, great work!

1 Like

10/10 Very well made, from the look its gonna be easy to navigate good work dude!

1 Like

Those toggle switches look nice, I like how they stand out and have depth. Reminds me of Google’s Material UI.

1 Like

This looks great. I don’t see anything wrong with it then again I am not a good designer so I could look through some things but from what I see everything looks good. :+1:

1 Like

I think the arrow should be a little thicker to match the rest of the theme.

43%20am

1 Like