User-setting for Xbox Controller deadzone

I sometimes like to use my xbox controller to play games due to the control style of the game. I have one really huge issue that I think could be easily resolved, and this is a deadzone setting.

My #1 issue is that my controller grants both sticks a bit of free reign before they start resisting my thumb. If I go so far as to touch my thumbstick (and nudge it to the edge of its loose area), the game will register it as me moving even though I am not even touching the stick. The deadzone by default is too low, and I think allowing the user to set it would be the best choice for combatting this issue. It gets very annoying when I slowly slide and/or turn my camera without my hands on the controller.

That’s all I have to say about this.

5 Likes

You already can change it through PlayerScripts.

Correct, but in-game I cannot change it from my pause menu. It’s only developer set, not user-set.

Okay but what real games allow you to set dead zone on console? At least from my experience (on PS4) you can’t change that on any game I’ve played.

I haven’t seen many on Xbox, but a lot of PS4 titles I’ve played and a select few of Xbox titles I’ve played have configuration for that.

Titanfall 2 is a notable title with it.

3 Likes

Rocket League

1 Like

Rainbow six: Siege?
Anything where fine control over movement normally has this

1 Like

I’ve noticed this is still an issue. It makes playing games that use the default scripts such a pain since I look slightly to the right and my camera continues to slowly spin to the right indefinitely, even after I let go. The same applies to movement (I keep moving slowly indefinitely, even after I let go).

Video:

This should be implemented into the Settings Menu:

2 Likes

Fortnite actually allows this, and it makes sense that the user would have control over this.
This is easy to do with a screen gui.

The fortnite interface allows setting based on a percentage which in the backend translates to a number. This I believe is part of most games that have a controllre(the dead zone configuration not necessarily the user configuration of, but it is in some games.)

Could you create an on screen gui that when the user triggers settings allows a label to show a value as a percentage of allowable values, then when this is updated, update the deadzone in the backend. You can also use a blank label with a border and color that is dynamically sized to show a percentage bar.

See image:
Arrows increase or decrease value, star resets to default where the yellow bar is.
Of course you can make your own interface to do anything but this is a similar interface to what is provided in the example I have seen (fortnite). Use this to update via script on commit and as a dialog of a major permanent hud or screen gui system.

Please forgive the cheesy graphics which are merely meant for discussion purpose only.