Various aspects of Studio UI keep reverting and resetting

Problem

Over the past 2-3 weeks, I have noticed that Studio is having problems retaining layout/recent games settings. Basically, seeming at random, Studio resets to a default layout. Furthermore, games that I have removed from the Recent Games screen reappear. A third issue deals with keyboard shortcuts becoming broken. Most notably, <ALT>-P to publish a place. I have to use the menu to do it. I have found that if I redefine the key to <ALT>-P in Customize Shortcuts, it will start working again. When the issue happens, they all happen at the same time which tells me that whatever the bug is, when it manifests, itā€™s affecting multiple components at the same time.

Additional Information

Parameter Value
Problem Area Studio
Problem Component UI Layout/Recent Games/Keyboard Shortcuts
First Noticed Around 15 Mar 2024
Priority Normal
Impact Moderate
Annoyance Level High
OS Windows 10 RTM

The beta features that I have enabled are as follows:

• AI-Powered Texture Generator
  • Assistant Preview
  • Faster Play Solo
  • Material Generator
  • Notched Screen Support
  • Notification Overhaul
  • Updated Docking System
  • Updated Roblox Controls

As for plugins, I have a bunch that are installed, but very few are enabled. The ones that are enabled are listed below with links to their details page on the Roblox store website:

Expectations

I expect Studio to retain UI layout settings and retain what recent games shows up.

Visuals

This appears to be Studioā€™s default layout.

What the layout is supposed to look like.

Reproduction

Unfortunately, I have not been able to reproduce the issue reliably, so I am unable to give steps to reproduce. However, it seems most prevalent when I start Studio after the computer was put to sleep and then subsequently awakened. It also seems to have started happening when I enabled the following beta features in Studio:

• AI-Powered Texture Generator
  • Assistant Preview
  • Faster Play Solo
  • Material Generator

A private message is associated with this bug report

14 Likes

I also experience this. Every time I open studio, the terrain editor plugin is open. I close it every time, but it does not save.

6 Likes

Yeah. Itā€™s like the layout resets to default. I have both the terrain editor and the toolbox open. But it doesnā€™t do it every time.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! I filed a ticket in our internal database.

1 Like

Hi - couple places weā€™ve identified and working on fixes for this. Would appreciate your help tracking down remaining issues!

1. Weā€™ve noticed the faster play solo beta has an impact on some plugins/widgets during transition to/from play solo, and can have the effect of resetting the layout. Can you disable just that beta and see if the issue with widgets resolves itself?

2. We introduced a change just yesterday on the docking beta to resolve a similar issue. If after disabling the play solo beta and still experiencing layout issues, you can try disable docking beta and see if the layout issue resolves. (Note: because of how the docking beta works, youā€™ll see a change to layout after turning it on/off. The two modes are not compatible, so we have two versions of layout saved one for ā€œoldā€ docking, and one for the beta). Its important to disable the betas as two steps as thereā€™s some overlap between the two and we need to see whatā€™s actually affecting this stuff, so we want to make sure we have all the right changes in place.

With all of these, would be good to get a solid repro on when your issue occurs to help us track it down. Are there particular widgets that you see out of place more than others? Do you notice the behavior more when doing certain activities. Any detail you can provide could be useful.

The keyboard shortcut/game settings issue seems new - havenā€™t seen too many reports on something like that. Do the changes ā€œstickā€ after you make them or do you keep having to reset Alt-P? Its possible these are all related in terms of saving settings, but generally layouts and game settings/shortcuts do not overlap.

Do these issues happen more frequently when you have multiple studio windows open and are task switching between them?

1 Like

Oh, also please make sure youā€™re on the latest version of studio, 619 as the fixes wonā€™t be in earlier versions. (You can check in the File->About Studio box)

Like I said, when it bugs out, everything previously mentioned is affected at the same time. As for the ALT-P issue, when I press ALT-P while the script editor has focus, it just prints ā€˜pā€™ in the script. Itā€™s almost like the ALT key isnā€™t being recognized. Now if I publish it off the menu, it will publish, and the shortcut gets fixed. The shortcut also gets fixed if I manually set it in the shortcut editor. Once fixed, it stays fixed until it bugs out again.

Iā€™m going to disable the solo play beta first. The docking beta has been active for some time now without issues. I enabled all the AI features as well. Should I also disable them?

EDIT:

I have disabled the Faster Solo Play beta feature and when I restarted Studio, the layout reset again, but the publish shortcut seems to work now even if it does bug out. As for what Iā€™m doing, Iā€™m mostly writing code and running it looking for bugs. I donā€™t know if it helps, but I am using Parallel LUA and I have a bunch of actors in game.ServerScriptService. I usually only have one Studio session running, but sometimes Iā€™ll have two depending on what Iā€™m doing. Iā€™m also using the split-screen feature of the docking system quite a bitā€¦only two panes though.

The plugins that I have enabled donā€™t seem to be affected. Itā€™s only the terrain editor and toolbox that opens up when the layout resets.

I usually keep Studio open when I put the computer to sleep. However, like I mentioned before, when I bring the computer out of sleep, or do a cold start from a power on state and start Studio, it will bug out, but not all the time. I do not know what is triggering it.

I have considered deleting Studio from the computer and removing the registry entries then starting it again from scratch. One thing to note is that it does seem to remember the overall window geometry.

@butterthebig After having the Fast Solo Play beta disabled for awhile. It seems that all the problems that I have been experiencing have disappeared. I turned nothing else off (the Updated Docking System is still on). So it appears the culprit has something to do with the Fast Solo Play. Also, they problems that Iā€™ve had with keyboard shortcuts (specifically the aforementioned ALT-P to publish) have also disappeared.

There is one other thing that Iā€™ve noticed too that may be related to this issue. When opening a place for the first time, it will open files that havenā€™t been touched in months. Not sure what thatā€™s about. It happens rarely.

@butterthebig So far, I havenā€™t really been experiencing the issues that I had before disabling the Fast Solo Play beta feature, so at this point, Iā€™m quite certain that feature is the culprit of the issues. Someone else posted another bug report about scripts not staying open on the tab bar when closing Studio and reopening it. That problem also went away for me when I disabled that beta feature.

Any updates?

This issue has been fixed and will be available in the second upcoming release.

Excellent. I canā€™t wait to take the new version out for a spin.

This is still happening as of 5/3. My entire Studio layout resets, sometimes repeatedly. Has happened on 2 different computers over the past week.

Have you tried turning off the Faster Solo Play beta feature? That seems to have worked for me.