Versioning Models with 3D Importer

I want to know when this will be fixed because whenever I try to import a rigged model, it always becomes invisible and I am unable to use it. I have tried every solution and have watched numerous tutorials on how to fix it, but none have been successful.

We’re aware of this issue and are looking into a fix! If you haven’t filed a bug already, feel free to DM me the file you are using and any pertinent repro steps; those would help with our investigation.

4 Likes

Yes, animation import through this importer is something we’re currently working on improving too. Feel free to DM me or make a feature request with your ideas!

3 Likes

How about FBX files with multiple textures?
Or will it just turn out like this?

1 Like

Fantastic feature. No longer have to duplicate meshes or give them weird names. i.e McNugget, NewMcNugget, NewerMcNugget, McChicken, etc.

2 Likes

Yes, there can be multiple textures in an FBX file! It’s just that each mesh in the file can only have 1 texture image associated with it. So for example: for an FBX with 3 cube meshes, each cube could have its own texture image and the importer will get all of those.
We also support SurfaceAppearances for each mesh, you can read more about that here.

2 Likes

The long wait has come to an end.

1 Like

When can we expect this importer to stop uploading them as models under the respective place owners inventory? This can sometimes severely impact workflow when you’re utilizing uploaded assets and frequently updating them, having to scroll down two ages to the bottom to periodically update assets is more annoying than you might believe.
I really really want to use this importer because its a great tool, but this reason alone is what prevents me and my team from using it and its causing quite a lot of frustration (for them, because I specifically request them not to use it :sweat_smile:) when uploading large amounts of meshes.

If this is already fixed then I would love to know, thanks!

This is a really useful update. It was always a pet peeve of mine that my assets were all so cluttered with different versions of the same meshes, this will definitely help streamline things!

So with this update, you now have 2 options:

• You can upload the model as an existing package as described above, and it’ll just create a new version of that asset as opposed to creating a new one in your inventory.
  • If you just want a model inserted into the place without uploading anything or adding anything to your inventory at all, you can toggle the “Add Model To Inventory” setting (uncheck it).

We’re working on making the settings language more clear and also giving you the ability to configure the importer the way you want so that you don’t have to toggle such checkboxes for every import, but hope that helps!

2 Likes

Oh nice, glad there’s an option for that! Would it make sense if this option was unchecked by default or is there a particular reason that it has to be turned on by default?

There’s no particular reason it has to be, but sensible defaults are different per workflow (for example, someone using packages would need it checked by default). I think the real solution to this is to allow everyone to set their own defaults, which is something we’re working on with the import configuration stuff mentioned above.

2 Likes

Brilliant, love to hear that :pray:

Wonderful!
I am quite new to modelling and that will definitely make my life a little easier.
I’m very glad Roblox has been rolling out a lot of great updates recently that makes our life easier.

Question:
Will Roblox ever add a feature that allows you to split your mesh if it’s too big(above 10.000 tris) in Roblox instead of doing it manually in modelling software which is a lot of times a painful process to do?

Otherwise than this I think Roblox is making a great step forward in terms of helping developers with various things(If we don’t count some obviously horrendous updates as is the example of the UGC limited update)

Sincerely,
Felipe

2 Likes

So basically…

• If I have lots of the same mesh model around the map and I want to update it (for example, holiday events), I can quickly just do that?

• This will clear up the Explorer page and just show one mesh part?

Correct me if I’m wrong and/or assure me if I am correct.

1 Like
  • Yes, updating a Model with MeshParts should be faster. I recommend checking out our docs on Packages for a more in-depth explanation of how they work!
  • Your Explorer page will still show all the Instances (so if you had like 5 trees, you’d still see 5 tree models in Explorer), but you would only see one asset in your Toolbox/Asset Manager.
3 Likes

Splitting the mesh hasn’t been discussed yet, mainly because a) it causes the structure of the imported model to change, which might be confusing, and b) we have simplification algorithms that bring down the mesh to the limit. Also, the limit is now 20,000, through this importer.

2 Likes

What is the use case of this? Couldn’t you just run a for loop in the command bar to replace mesh id’s?

It’s not just mesh IDs, but the whole model that is versioned. For example, you can version changes you make to the joints of an imported rig.
Also, packages aim to make asset reuse and versioning a simpler process. It supports reverting to older versions, auto-update of other instances of the asset, etc. and prevents you from having a new Model asset every time you need to upload a new version. Of course, all of this can be done manually or through some code in the command bar, but this provides a simpler interface!

3 Likes

Any plans to make it so we can update the actual MeshID itself?

1 Like