Vesteria Open-Source

17 Likes

Yea when I first started using rojo with vscode I had tons of trouble and it seemed incredibly difficult to setup. After working with it for a while now, itā€™s hard to look back and works like a breeze.

1 Like

Another great berezaa game made open-sourced. I wonder what will be next? Build Island would be cool as open-source.

1 Like

Interesting. Some of my friends worked on this game, Iā€™m curious to check out what progress was made and to hopefully learn a few coding tips along the way. This is a great contribution to the developer community. Thank you for this.

My only problem is when people open source amazing work such as this, there are always a few bad apples that will try to re-publish it and monetize it. I hope that doesnā€™t happen with this gem.

6 Likes

Itā€™s sad to see Vesteria die. Iā€™m working on an RPG game of my own and can definitely relate to the struggles of making an open world game. I appreciate you making this open source!

3 Likes

In enterGame.lua there is a ban list. Did you mean to include that list? Also in verify, there is a IP url in init.lua. Might wanna censor that.

1 Like

Those are all exploiters. You can ban them in your own game now

4 Likes

Also Iā€™d check this out, just in case.

1 Like

An unexpected but welcome surprise Iā€™ve come across. Along with Minerā€™s Haven, seems youā€™re going big on open source work now? Thatā€™s pretty awesome to see.

I havenā€™t taken a peek at the code yet but reading the little description you left in the thread is somewhat reassuring in the sense that even some top developers spend a lot of time refactoring and fighting with organisation, especially in larger projects. It gives me hope that I can still untangle my own messes given time, in critical moments or not, to make a better working game. Organisation is easily one of my biggest pet peeves and overcomplicating simple things has generated a lot of technical debt for my projects or even prevented progress at all.

Iā€™ll be sure to take a peek sometime soon. It might be especially helpful to do that since Iā€™m helping develop an RPG game myself thatā€™s fairly ambitious, but the tone is probably much different from what Vesteria is. Not to plug, so I wonā€™t name drop or include links, but the timing was pretty advantageous for me. Been a little curious as to how Vesteria worked from the little Iā€™ve played of it.

Much appreciated!

6 Likes

Berezaa strikes again. Big thanks for your work to empower roblox developers, from open-sourcing projects to advocating for support, devex rates etc :slightly_smiling_face:.

7 Likes

Thank you for making Vesteria open source! Why did Vesteria failed? Iā€™m asking the question because Iā€™m making a new game on Roblox and Iā€™m avoiding mistakes that can cause the game to fail.

1 Like

Rojo forms the foundation of our workflow. Itā€™s definitely the weak link between our games, and weā€™ve experienced issues with rojo and replication occasionally on our projects.

Itā€™s extremely unfortunate that Roblox has yet to integrate this tool into their development workflow. Itā€™s the bridge that we are able to use to connect to third party tools and it has improved our teamā€™s productivity multiple times over.

Is there any alternative for porting between third party applications and Roblox Studio other than making an in-house tool ourselves? After using VSCode and other powerful external tools, we absolutely donā€™t see our workflow reverting to Roblox Exclusive. Weā€™re prepared to make our own tools if it becomes necessary but itā€™s something we seriously want to avoid.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s so true! Just imagine trying to fix BUGS and ultimately convert the whole game to Rojo, thatā€™s just a pain.

That was answered earlier by OP

1 Like

The code organization part was true, the following vesteria team blindly thing was an exaggeration.

1 Like

I was working on a RPG game myself using some RPG kit
Sadly it wasnā€™t very satisfactory and here you go, open sourcing Vesteria.
I remember playing it and getting banned, later on talking to you in discord, sending you anything that could be exploited, scripts, etc.

I got no idea if you remember me on Discord as we never spoke that much but yeah.
Thanks for open sourcing this, althought Iā€™m literally confused as to how to get it as a roblox place, how to use Rojo etc etc.

Canā€™t wait to see a decent project rising up from this gameā€™s ashes.

1 Like

This is amazing, I did love to make a integration with teaching on this content. Does this include any sort of demo place I can test functionality in?

This repo is primarily a historical archive of the game and is not intended to be used as a template for new projects. It would take quite a substantial amount of work to create a functioning game from the repo. However, there are individual scripts and modules which definitely contain useful resources.

7 Likes

And the owner of 2 of my most favorite games, open sources yet another game. Thank you, berezaa, for everything.

Awesome perfectly clear.

Is there a chance to code for the lobby and the tutorial place get included too?
Both of these are things I myself did love to learn from as I am working on a similar zombie survival game and did love to have my old server system be replaced by something like in Vesteriaā€™s lobby/character creation system as well as the tutorial part and itā€™s great to be inspired by how you guys setup your tutorial cinematic.