Vinegar - The Better Way to Run Roblox on Linux

What is Vinegar?

Vinegar is a new solution for running Roblox on Linux that is designed both for complete novices and avid tinkerers. It has a friendly configuration system, thorough documentation, active development, and a tidy codebase in a modern language.

Why not Grapejuice? (or another solution)?

My cofounder @sjalvmordsvalsen (who programmed the majority of the project) and I actually spent significant time using the Grapejuice project. In fact, I maintain and develop the Flatpak distribution of Grapejuice. However, we felt that its codebase and user interface was overly complex: a brand new, well-planned, and minimalist project was truly what people needed! As a result, Vinegar is designed without a UI so that tinkerers can easily focus on configuring their setups and new players can have an experience identical to on Windows.

What does Vinegar include?

Vinegar’s primary features include:

• RCO patchset for seriously improved performance.
  • Fully open-source and reproducible Flatpak with Wine 8.4 bundled.
  • Active development and support
  • Optional FPS unlocker (axstin)
  • Renderer selection between DX11, Vulkan, and OpenGL.
  • Easy-to-understand configuration system
  • A single Go executable to handle all file associations.

A full list can be found on our github page.

That’s nice, how do I get started?

You can either install the flatpak, which includes everything out of the box and will run Roblox immediately after installation, or compiling from source by running make all after cloning the github repo.

After installation, you can play roblox by launching from the browser as normal or by launching Roblox App or Roblox Studio from your system’s program launcher.

Edit (2024): Those looking for the recent completed hardware survey report should see this post.

Have any Questions?

82 Likes

Seems cool, would like to see some sort of benchmark between the grapejuice and this though.

6 Likes

Any screenshots of UI?

charcharcharchar

3 Likes

There is no UI since it is supposed to directly imitate a Windows experience, though you can edit a text configuration with vinegar edit.

3 Likes

Awesome, finally something compiled that doesn’t require Python.

6 Likes

This is difficult to benchmark. Besides the fact that GJ has a GUI and that we do not, sustained gameplay performance depends on what version of Wine you install.

While you can use any wine build with either software solution, our flatpak ships wine 8.4-staging from a reproducible, open-source build system. It is identical to what the wine developers normally provide (and is normally provided with many distributions).

The Grapejuice flatpak, on the other hand, uses wine-tkg compiled by Brinker herself, which we feel is potentially insecure, and has been noted to cause issues with studio performance.

4 Likes

I see… Alright. And yeah, the issues with studio performance on wine-tkg is pretty big at least from my time with it.

4 Likes

I encourage you to give vinegar (especially the flatpak) a try! It’s been well tested for both studio and player performance.

4 Likes

Ah, I have a rough estimate for you today. One of our members has reported a 300 FPS increase in the Vinegar Flatpak over Grapejuice with a 3060.

3 Likes

Damn :skull:
That fps increase is more than I actually expected

4 Likes

Hi
This looks great! For me, the only reason I couldn’t use grapejuice was the roblox studio performance. The camera panning was broken, and the performance was just terrible compared to windows… The roblox player worked perfectly for me using grapejuice, so I just wanted to ask if the studio performance is improved here?

5 Likes

This is talking about the studio between Grapejuice and Vinegar

Also what is with the naming after food items

4 Likes

Probably because they use Wine to run Roblox, so they name it something related to a grape. "vine"gar "grape"juice y’know?

4 Likes

Most likely, though Studio is finicky so your mileage may vary.

3 Likes

Fermentation: Grapejuice → Vinegar → Wine

A pretty good way to frame the naming scheme, yeah?

6 Likes

Hi,

Recently Grapejuice stopped working for me even when I updated it. I tested on two linux distros and I still had the same problem. So does Vinegar works currently ?

3 Likes

Since Vinegar is based off of Grapejuice, Vinegar probably won’t work, also I’m pretty sure this is because Roblox decided to completely kill any chances of Linux support after the whole anti-cheat thing.

4 Likes

yeah, I saw the post after posting the message.

3 Likes

sad days and sad foreseeable future…

some things are work in progress - will keep you guys updated

2 Likes

It REALLY is game over now. It’s been nice playing Roblox on Linux with you guys

3 Likes