VIP Servers for Paid Access Games

My game is in pre-alpha right now and I just recently turned on paid access which nullified all the existing VIP servers and prevented players from purchasing new ones. Many of them are begging me for VIP servers so they can privately play with their friends.

Why can’t a developer sell VIP servers for paid access games? I don’t see any conflict between the two that would hinder this.

48 Likes

Agreed. VIP benefits the players as well as supports the game (and roblox) further.

8 Likes

I was about to post this thread myself. Games like bloxburg and my own would greatly benefit from this, making it much easier for friends to play together.

6 Likes

I still think this should still be considered. The hassle and maintenance a developer must go through to handle their own VIP Servers on a Paid Access game effectively is way too much compared to VIP servers. For someone who owns a game and gets an influx of requests to have private servers but needs to keep it paid because its in alpha state does put me into a dilemma.

7 Likes

Due to the new update allowing free VIP servers, I really think that this should be reconsidered, even if it is only for free VIP servers.

3 Likes

It is still impossible to use VIP Servers for Paid Access games.

It’s incredibly frustrating because although its purpose seems to be “discouraging a pay-twice model”, it instead pushes developers to have to implement their own custom paid VIP server system ingame using developer products. It ends up being more impractical.

It should be possible to open up VIP servers for paid access games. It feels awkward to have to work around this feature when we, the developers, should be in control of the quality of the paid experience of our product.

3 Likes

It could be confusing to some users to have VIP servers in paid games. This is because they would be heavily restricted on who they could add. For example, someone (who bought the game) buys a VIP server with intent of adding their friend. The person who buys the server is unaware that their friend has not bought access to the game so they wont be able to add their friend. The person is now upset because they wasted money.

1 Like