Visual Coding System

BACKGROUND INFORMATION
A few years ago when I started coding, I began my journey on a platform called scratch (which as some of you may know is a Visual Programming System) and this is what sparked my interest in learning how to code and create games. It didn’t take long until I advanced into more flexible methods of creating games (scratch is rather restricting when it comes to what you can do :joy: ) but I still believe Scratch had significant importance as it is the reason I started coding altogether. Skip ahead a few years, and after testing a lot of different programming languages the one I finally fell for was Lua on Roblox and that’s what I have been doing for the last years now. But a few days ago I was a little bored, so I figured, what if I could make that jump between starting with block code to learning Lua a lot shorter for someone else? And maybe spark their interest in Lua coding? So I made a block-based coding system for Lua in Roblox! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER
This system is in no way made with the intention that it should be used to create large or complicated scripts. It’s just a fun way to play around with code!

THE SYSTEM
So here’s a little video of the system (in this video, game) that I have created (due to file size limitations I can only show you a short example using a few blocks)! Fun fact: I use the new AutomaticSize Property Beta to resize the blocks when they get a new child block.

Please note that the “Insert Box” is a temporary solution that I use for testing. I plan to add some sort of menu where you can just drag the blocks from.

FEEDBACK
If you have time, please leave some feedback or thoughts below! I would really appreciate it. I also have no idea what to do with this so if you have any ideas, please tell me :joy:. I may make it into a plugin maybe? Or maybe a game? I don’t know.

41 Likes

That’s pretty cool. I would recommend that you just have a frame with all the different blocks instead of an input box. That’s all I really have to say as well, I literally started making something like this yesterday, lol.

2 Likes

Yeah, the insert box is kinda a temporary solution for me to quickly insert blocks. I plan to have some sort of menu when you can just drag the blocks from.

This is very nice.

I’m quite a fan of visual coding becoming available on Roblox - not for the purpose of making games but for the purpose of introducing younger players to programming in a kid-friendly way.

If you refined this further, I’d love to see it as a plugin. You could feature it in a game to introduce the plugin to people, and to give them a chance to play around with a demo version before they install the plugin.

2 Likes

Amazing! Pretty sure this is called psuedocode basically putting code into easier ways for example

if He Has a Dog then

This is amazing! You turned psuedocode easier!

1 Like

Wow… AMAZING! I can’t wait to see the finished version! Keep us all updated!

1 Like

That’s actually cool. Keep it up and maybe you can redo the Scratch from the scratch.

2 Likes

This looks great! It’s very intuitive and presented well. Excellent work!

1 Like

I also started on Scratch, and came to ROBLOX to become a game developer. :heart:

EDIT: I am going to create long and very complicated scripts with this. 0_0

1 Like

I like this, but there is a very fine line between kids learning coding and kids being forced to learn a VPL. This is good for kids learning pseudocoding but this is a very slippery slope for the future of coding.

1 Like