Voxel Terrain brought back into studio!

[To those who come across this now and in the future; please check the following for the updated version of this showcase // Yet Another Voxel Terrain Recreation]

Attempted to bring back voxel terrain, studio said no.
Okay well it kinda worked but at the same time it doesn’t have the same visual appeal as it did back then when it was introduced in the rally. I’ll most likely remake it to have an exact replica of the old terrain.

With some retro water which makes it look 100000000x better than just 4 duplicated hill chunks:

47 Likes

This is outstanding! I remember that terrain, those were the days… :grin:

6 Likes

I also remember them, they were more roblox-style than the current terrain…

5 Likes

Smooth Terrain is Roblox style too. There’s no official style, Roblox is a platform and everything here is great. You might mean that they fit the way the avatars look, to which I agree with. I try not to look at things with nostalgic bias.

In any case: looks interesting. Mind if I ask what your process was to restoring voxel terrain? How performant is it?

7 Likes

WAY too much nostalgia from that pic…

3 Likes

Mind if I message you instead of replying here as to not give away the complete effect?

1 Like

Made for a game about nostalgia lol

2 Likes

Wow ! Roblox really looked like this before ?

it hurts my eyes but I can understand some people like it (don’t bully me)

3 Likes

Yes and no. Roblox games back then looked a bit different than the photos I provided, the terrain in the photos is without a doubt the retro voxel terrain, however, the lighting and other things might not be as accurate without the help of references. If you want an idea of how the actual 2011 Rally Demo terrain looked like in 2011, heres a picture for you.

6 Likes

wow it really look like Minecraft

2 Likes

Is the performance amazing? I would have to bet this is a high amount of objects and I’d be interested how the voxel coding was done, unless it’s just objects and chunk system.

1 Like

I have an FPS cap ingame to keep everyone at 30fps so players are not faster than others, but even without that, the voxel terrain works really great, although there is a bit of a problem with hovering since there was no coding or system to create them, they are individual real objects you can move around in studio.

2 Likes

Kept the promise of remaking it into an exact replica of the original (Rally) Voxel Terrain, here is a new one I made just today.

Real Voxel Terrain [Rally Version] for a reference.

[November 2011 Voxel scene]

My Recreation is a mix of November 2011 and July 2011

I was also able to fix most of the hovering problem so now you can stand on almost all slanted edges without hovering above it due to Roblox’s horrible collision system

Colbert asked how performant it was, it has almost no effect on gameplay, and in studio solo I get almost full frames.

If I can make it a bit darker and also somehow enable mesh level of detail for the far away texture then I can have an almost 1to1 perfect replica of legacy voxel terrain.

(The only problems is it is indestructible and few wedged edges make you hover, but almost all wedges are fine.)

10 Likes

This is pretty cool!

Is it possible to make the textures less wonky on certain parts? They don’t appear to tile as well as they did back then.

Do craters form when bombs explode?

And is it possible to play this? I would love to try it out!

P.S. I recommend turning on Compatibility Lighting if you haven’t already. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Compatibility disables all shadows completely, I’ve disabled the shadows on the terrain, I have my own recreation of the Legacy lighting removed in 2018, and in-game only allow shadows on the players and no other objects as other objects never had shadows back then.

Also it will never be possible ever to make a perfect recreation of Legacy terrain, including crater physics, bomb physics, and also having it be able to work with good performance without crashing everyone.

Legacy outlines are also a thing I need but were removed while I was making the game this will be used in.

5 Likes