VR immediately crashes when you try to interact with any surface gui

All in title. Any surface gui interaction ingame in vr immediately crashes the game.
I am using the HTC Vive.
If you want a quick repro, Put a scrolling frame in a surface gui in any game. Point, click, crash

10 Likes

Yes! I have that problem aswell.
I made a VR hand demo and you can bring up a chat menu with the B button and it just crashes the whole game (and sometimes it works fine). I don’t have any while loops that could cause this too and I really don’t know what to do about it, except removing that interface completely…

(Edit: I am using an Oculus Rift)

3 Likes

Yeah this issue is really annoying. The only way to fix this is by parenting the SurfaceGui to your PlayerGui and setting it’s Adornee to the surface you need.

I am using an Oculus Rift S.

4 Likes

Please provide crash dumps to the forum group inbox as specified by the bug report guidelines. Engineers without VR hardware may be unable to reproduce this and thus cannot investigate it.

1 Like

I feel like there’s a lot more that also needs to be done with VR- Roblox will have to spend a while revisiting it. (A LOT is totally defunct)
This will probably come up and be addressed with an earnest revisit.
I’m mainly putting this here so if someone is looking this up, they know they aren’t alone

3 Likes

Detailed description of the bug:

• When pressing the trigger in VR to select a Scrolling Frame’s bar inside of a SurfaceGui, the game crashes. However when I play as a normal user I can easily scroll it and click it perfectly fine. I have only been able to test this with HTC Vive

Where the bug happens:

• The bug occurs anywhere, you just have to be within range of a SurfaceGui and be able to click on a scrolling frame.

When it started happening:

• I don’t actually know how long this has been a bug, but it only became present to me when one of my friends pressed on the scrolling frame bar, i’m assuming it’s been a bug for a very long while.

Screenshots and videos of the bug:
(VR Perspective):

External Media

(Player Perspective):
https://streamable.com/s/nj7l88/vvulng

Steps to reproduce the issue:

• Enter the roblox game in VR mode
  • Press the right trigger on a scrolling frame within a SurfaceGui
  • Your game should instantly crash

System Specs:

• The VR Headset was a HTC Vive running SteamVR.
  • The Computer was:
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core
    • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    • Memory: 16GB Ram
8 Likes

Bump

I just want to add I do have the Dump Files from that recorded day, but as of yet no engineer has replied so I can’t exactly send it. (atleast that’s what I read from the bug report guidelines)

For issues with the Roblox app used to play games, wait for an engineer to reply and DM the files to them.

3 Likes

There’s information in the bug reporting format on how to send dump files privately to engineers (you have to DM a forum group with them)

4 Likes

Thank you for that information i’ll do that right away.

4 Likes

Also having the same issue, using Valve Index. For me just simply pointing at any surfacegui without even clicking instantly crashes the game.

3 Likes

I came across this today when testing my own VR code. When this happened, the rendering froze and the error Cannot set GuiService.SelectedObject to Workspace.TestGui.SurfaceGui.ScrollingFrame because it is not a descendant of a PlayerGui was being spammed in groupings of hundreds, potentially because it is blocking rendering. It looks like this bug requires a SurfaceGui parented to Workspace with the component being Selectable. If the SurfaceGui is not in Workspace or the component is not selectable (Frame.Selectable = false), then this does not occur.

2 Likes

This happens in RagdollSim too!

I can provide dump files upon request.

Edit: We patched this in new Ragdoll sim servers.

2 Likes

My apologies for the late response. We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

6 Likes

Any update on this? I’ve been contacted by a few game developers, like Vibe NYC, since March thinking that Nexus VR Character Model was randomly crashing games, when it ended up being a SurfaceGui under Workspace with something interactable (TextButton, ImageButton, ScrollingFrame, or TextBox). Some games just removed my system without ever contacting me, and when asked, they confirmed that this was the problem. This bug has been very problematic for both players and users of my code.

2 Likes

Looks like this bug was fixed! None of the games I track for Nexus VR Character Model crash anymore due to this issue, and I can no longer reproduce this in a test game.

2 Likes

Thanks for the Report.
Fixed and closed.

1 Like