War Of World DevLog #11 - Flying Objects

Update 11 - Flying Objects!

First Devlog Previous Devlog Next Devlog

Time for a long awaited update.

It’s been quite a long time since the last update. I have had a couple of things happen that has been taking some of my time(grade 6 exam, car test etc.) But now I want to show you the improvements that I have made to the system.

First, I setup a proper effects module. It handles everything from the camera shake to particles and beams. It’s all done on the client so I am expecting the server to have as little done as possible so that I can have more players in one round.

e.g.

I also managed to create an objects module which handles all objects. I even got it to handle negation so that you are able to destroy buildings.

There will be a TON of objects in the game that I will need to be able to move. So, what I did was create a system where the object would be anchored if it wasn’t moving. Moving objects do damage when hit and are a core part of the games mechanics so it is imperative that they don’ts lag the server too much.

I added a few props too. You might have seen this already but I created a robot arm with scripts that is able to move around towards a target. Effects added and I end up with the perfect factory robot arm.

I also added “flying” vehicles to the game. You can shoot them down out of the sky too.

Unfortunately I have been going through some tough problems. I don’t think anyone has come across a problem like this before. I have run into multiple studio physics related problems when it came to feet. As you probably have noticed in the video the legs seem to float in the air. This is because for some reason AlignPosition and AlignOrientation constraints that are in OneAttachment mode don’t seem to update the target if you change the position. You have to disable then reenable the Rigidity for it to work. Of course this is a bug.

https://gyazo.com/df1be0ef6afa05342774da2a75aaeba8

The attachments are all setup correctly and I check and rechecked the code at least 4 times now and nothing works :frowning: (except that hacky solution)

https://gyazo.com/ac1f285feba8fa586ee2230e29c73c8e

If you don’t know what is happening I am disabling and reenabling Rigidity and the legs only update when I enable it.

So I am asking if you can also support the bug request when I make it so that I can get this system to work properly :smiley:

I plan to add more weapons effects and then work on Ashaway and their spells before releasing the game.

If you have any feedback leave it down below! Thanks for reading.

8 Likes

my feedback is:

i dont have feedback on the current thing but i realized:
your game so cool and unique and stuff, but it is only a mere ctf/tdm game? come on

Did u Make the robot are model yourself?

Hmm. Well there are three teams. Not sure what I could add to slice up gameplay.

Also the Robot arms were not made by my. I’m not really a Modeler.

1 Like

I’m not too sure about the problem with one att mode, but the second video seems to offset the main part after setting rigidity enabled,which makes it apply maximum force to reach the target. Perhaps if you make the legs uncollidable (unless its required), it will work?

1 Like

Actually, just right now, I have managed to fix the problem.

I decided to use AlignPosition instead of BallSocket constraints. (That way PartA will only exert a force on PartB) It makes everything a lot smoother. In the end I did set the legs to not collide and I hooked up the fix to the Stepped function and re wrote a bit of the code.

TL;DR it works now. I will be focusing on improving the effects for the gun and I will start work on the other factions

https://gyazo.com/02349d56b3c1aaec2807543b54b73c0c

1 Like