War Of Worlds DevLog #4 - Skeuomorphic HUD and Plasma Accelerator

Good day to you! :smiley: Another long awaited update is here.

I have FINALLY decided to finish up on the Vindicroy Controller and weapons system for now. The reason why is because I have reached a bottleneck in development where I simply canā€™t design attractive GUIs.

I meanā€¦

Yes. Pretty bad.

I did try to experiment with Skeuomorphic GUI as well.

Ehā€¦Could be worseā€¦

However, when all is said and done. I have been able to finish the VFX of all 3 weapons that I am planning on using in the game.

That is the Plasma Accelerator

For some reason it looks worse in a pictureā€¦

The Missile.

Yes. It is target-seeking

And the Machine Gun

Looks more like a line to me :thinking:

You also might have noticed that there is a green bar on top of the player. That is the Health. It is there to show to allies whether or not they are in need of help or not. I think it will add a little bit of tactics to the game.

I also made some death mechanics. When the Robot shuts down all the internal computers deactivate. Unfortunately I donā€™t have footage of this as I want to show you something else for now.

Walk on walls, how?

So, you may be wondering how I managed to get the character to be able to walk on walls. The answer is simple:
Raycasts
I am not willing to open source the script first because it took me a lot of time to make. Second, because a lot of it is actually not any good. However, I will show you how I did it.

This is what the raycast look like

The Yellow and Blue raycast are the Body. They tell the body where to be at any point in time.
The Green raycast show where the feet will move to and the red raycast are just checks to see if the player has moved.

It is all done on the server at the moment. This is the 3 version and I have thought of a way to decrease lag.

Previouslly the Walker used around 36 raycasts per frame for the position and the leg. Now it uses only 14. So I think it is improving. It is server intensive so I am thinking of offloading the raycast to the client so it can calculate then the server will only need 1 raycast.

There is also and invisible part which is the ā€œcontrolā€ block. It is anchored and is CFrame by the server so that the server can have full control over it.

If you are interesting in knowing more I used the tutorial here for basically everything.

Inverse Kinematics?

Am I using inverse Kinematics for this? The simple answer is, no. It is simply not fast enough. Even using the cosine rule was still to slow.I ended up with this mess I thought about tweening but I then thought. ā€œWhy not just use constraints?ā€ . And so I did.

Little did I know that constraints are very messy when you use a lot of them. A lot of them are unreliable and break when you set limits. It is also VERY VERY tedious to setup and tweeking is time consuming and boring.

So, now everything is created by scripts instead. and voila my procedurally animated wall sticking machine!

There are still some bugs left and some sometimes the animate script fails due to the shape of the map. But I havenā€™t come across any major glitches as of yet.

The next Devlog I will get started with the second faction in the game INFRACTION.

Thanks for reading and see you all soon!

Previous Devlog: War Of Worlds DevLog #3 - Vindicroy Controller and Weapons

Join my discord as I post some extra sneak peaks: Mass Production Studio

Follow me on twitter I do post extra stuff there too: https://twitter.com/Koziah1

6 Likes