War Of Worlds DevLog #3 - Vindicroy Controller and Weapons

Hey there :wave:

It is time for another update. The last week I have been working on updating and I completely redone the Vindicroy controller.
Here is the current controller.

It took about a week to get it to this way. So, unfortunately I haven’t been able to perfect the weapons system that the Walker uses which I am planning to do this week coming.

This is how the current missile and mg system works. I am also planning on adding a deflector shield and a plasma cannon onto the robot.

I am thinking of adding sounds and more lights to make the projectiles more … scary and intimidating.

I am terrible at VFX and Building so don’t expect anything awesome.

The improvements in the animation have increase quite a bit. However, there still are some problems

First the walker updates more frequently which is more server intensive but I don’t really have a better solution for reliability. I could have used a raycast to check whether or not the position is clipping throuh anything but other than that I don’t seem to have a solution to the problem yet.

Second, since I couldn’t find a way to handle the animation on the client I decided to have the animation played on the server instead. That way is probably not a good idea. However, I have managed to use 2 raycast perleg instead of 5 and the foot placement is a lot less buggy.

The Third is the camera. I am using a scriptable camera at the moment. The camera is fixed to the orientation of the player however I have no Idea how to script a camera movement system yet. I am thinking of using RMB for aim LMB for activate weapon and scroll for zoom.

All in all I am pretty happy with the outcome. However, if I keep it like this with 10 Players on each team which means 10 * 8 for movement and 10 * 3 * 2 for the legs I might even increase leg numbers. This is a serious issue since it is being casted every update.

I will think of a solution. Hopefully you can give me feedback or any tips. Thanks.

Also, if you want some small extra sneak peaks visit us.
HytbRn3AuT

8 Likes