Way to get size of SpecialMeshes

Continuing the discussion from Does anyone have a hat blacklist for giant hats?:

It’s impossible to tell how large a SpecialMesh is. Scale = <1,1,1> could mean a mesh that’s 2x2x2 studs or 20x1x40 studs. This makes it impossible to do any sanity checks on mesh sizes with hats / user-inserted meshes or tie mesh hitbox to the actual mesh rather than an arbitrary invisible box. The only way to accomplish this is manually scaling all meshes yourself which is both tedious and not possible to do adaptively (e.g. with hats). MeshParts aren’t a solution because 1) we can’t read/set the MeshId through scripts, and 2) we can’t tell what the original size of the mesh is.

It’d be great if we could have readonly SpecialMesh.MeshSize or something similar that communicated the size, in studs, of the mesh.

24 Likes

Would you rather the property showed a read only of the Absolute Size at 1x1x1 or dynamically update with the Scale?

2 Likes

Dynamically updating would probably be better. If I want the original size I can just divide by part size.

1 Like

I support this very much; in my game I am allowing users to keep their website avatars, but right now because I can’t tell how big their characters are, I am arbitrarily fixing their weapon camera offset

While I will probably have to provide a setting for players to modify their offset, it would be nice if there could be a decent prediction

1 Like