Ways to Improve My Game High Seas?

Hey everyone! We’ve had a marvelous Testing phase for my game High Seas (which you can read through in this Devlog).

I’ve done a bit of test advertising for the game, and saw some good results. However, before putting more in, I want to make sure it is the best experience possible.

I’m looking for any and all feedback pertaining to the game ~ any features, bugs, weird things you find, things you like and don’t like ~ you name it, I’d like feedback on it.

I’m concerned about players not knowing what to do once joining the game. I had a tutorial place set up, but decommissioned it due to players impatient nature. Now, I throw them directly into the game, for better or worse. When you join, do you understand what to do? What should I do to clarify the main points of the game?

Thank you all for your help, it means a lot to me!
https://www.roblox.com/games/8009590222/Beta-High-Seas

The list of THINGS that need to be IMPROVED:

• Water goes through ground
  • Rains too often
  • Add a bank
  • More things to do in town
  • Character doesn’t freeze when customizing bug
  • Sharks glitchy
  • Rain happens too often
  • Not getting starter sword when playing
  • VIP Axe not working
  • Should give players treasure map to start off, to engage them right off the bat
  • NPCs running away after being hit by player.
9 Likes

Do a longer testing wave, get content creators to do videos on the game during the tester wave, get people excited for the game and make a discord. If the content creators do videos, people will likely watch the videos helping them understand the game before it comes and get more attention + the discord can have a info channls etc. Have a payed tester access to get money for future updates ( better gui, new systems, more advanced scripts ) and with the money you can pay the devs you commissioned, and then once you start getting robux from gamepasses, etc, you can keep coming out with new content having the content creators make new videos for the updates keeping a constant stream of players by using videos and advertising + using the discord for sneak peaks to keep the players attached.

3 Likes

Thanks for the ideas! I do currently have a discord server set up for updates. Getting content creators to make videos is great, but how exactly would I go about it? Contacting through Gmail hardly ever returns results, so it is really up to their fanbase (or their own interest) to beg them to play.

3 Likes

In all honesty, I like the idea of the game. I kinda understand what to do (since I know quite a bit about pirates, ships, etc). I think having a tutorial inside of the actual game instead of a different place along with the option to skip the tutorial would be better. Don’t forget to include the option to review the tutorial again just in case they are really confused. Overall, I think this game has great potential. I did notice that the Red Merchant chasing me accidentally fell into the water. I also noticed when the Red Merchant gets right up close to you, it does not do any damage. Also, when it loses focus of you, I notice that the red mark above their head is still active, giving a false alarm to players. Great game nonetheless! Maybe with a tutorial (with the option to skip and redo it), it can get a lot of players engaged with the game.

4 Likes

Thanks for the idea! I’m working on a tutorial to better make this happen (I think tutorials that evolve as you progress in the game are best - learn by playing).

This is a bug I’ll be working on, thank you!

All of the feedback is really appreciated, for everyone who’s taken the time to respond.

3 Likes

Some want money for videos on games but most dont, you just need to be very aggressive with it ( in a good way ) be outgoing, the content creators you get will reflect on your game.

3 Likes

I will ask a friend how they get content creators to make videos on there games.

2 Likes

That would be great, thank you! I’d definitely be curious to figure out the process. I don’t have enough money to offer to them + advertise the game, so from a money standpoint, I’m in a bit of a crunch right now.

3 Likes

I’ve playtested with a few of you (thanks to @silliestcolt). The following has been brought to my attention:

• Water goes through ground
  • Rains too often
  • Add a bank
  • More things to do in town
  • Character doesn’t freeze when customizing bug
  • Sharks glitchy
  • Rain happens too often
  • Not getting starter sword when playing
  • VIP Axe not working
  • Should give players treasure map to start off, to engage them right off the bat

Anything else? I appreciate all input :slight_smile:

Edit:

NPC Ship going crazy. Apparently ships can fly.

4 Likes

Wdym that flying ship is obviously the jolly roger

2 Likes

Oh yes, my bad. The Jolly Roger.

2 Likes

Hello, I tend to keep running into the same issue in the game which is the guard npc’s start behaving oddly when any sort of hit is registered on their humanoid, Roblox 2022 01 19 22 53 28 - YouTube

Apologies if the clip is laggy.

3 Likes

Huh, that is really odd. I’ll have to look into that - for now, we’ll have to say the NPC is afraid of you. Thanks for the input!

2 Likes

Are badges a motivating factor? Do people grind just to get them - would they be worth implementing?

I need to integrate this one as it is. . .

2 Likes

one of your server messages is tagged

3 Likes

I personally do, but you should get someone to redo your gui

2 Likes

you know those people that have the e to pickpocket on them? you can spam e and pickpocket them hundreds even thousands of times

2 Likes

Well, I got out of jail and was dropped under the deck… Promising start! :wink:

2 Likes

This issue should have been fixed a bit ago. There was a wait imposed on the pickpockets (2ish seconds). Are you experiencing it still?

Haha, thank you for this bug report, I’ll be sure to fix it.

2 Likes

How exactly did you drop under the map? Are there certain reproduction steps I could follow? Thanks!

1 Like