We’re updating Heads!

What happened to Roblox? That unique platform we all knew and loved for its unique blocky art style? It’s blending in with practically every single other ‘metaverse’ and losing its original charm.
I don’t think removing the classic faces was a good idea, practically forcing other users to stick to Dynamic Heads. Moreover, they cost Robux as compared to some of the classic ones.
Roblox should fix the problem they created by either restoring the original heads or eliminating/reducing the fee for Dynamic Heads.

5 Likes

Why is this being released when it hasn’t been discussed with the game developers at roblox? Are you doing this for yourself, or for the community?

2 Likes

I can check and post an update here.

Edit: checked an alt that’s pretty inactive, it appears to be targeting everyone but I can do a sanity check by viewing my other alts.

Edit 2: ok yea it appears it’s targeting everyone.

Probably? Roblox is multi-billionaire company, what could you expect?

This message sended everyone who have classic face? If i click, remove my classic faces inventory and refund my robux?

2 Likes

No. This has got to be one of the shittiest updates in roblox history.

It’s getting unbearable to have to comment on every single “update” of yours that you guys are simply not listening, but instead bow down to investors and lick the dirt off their varnished oxfords, but then ignore us, the pillar of your platform that keeps you afloat, the people that spend money on robux, and play your games. You would be nothing without the playerbase, so for the millionth time, listen to us.

Do not force us to use “dynamic heads” they look horrible, and a lot of people don’t want them. Keep them optional, but don’t force them on all of us, including old unused accounts, for christ sakes.

It’s really damn frustrating that these updates get rolled out, and you just know roblox doesn’t listen to you.

KEEP CLASSIC FACES ON SALE, OR YOU WILL LOSE A LOT OF LOYAL CUSTOMERS.

8 Likes

The thing is I don’t want my face to be “dynamic” in the first place. I want it 2D, not 3D.

And they haven’t even confirmed they won’t put classic faces off sale, or make this feature a toggle option.

So no, we’re not dramatic.

3 Likes

is this one of your attempts to gain even more revenue than what you’re already getting by removing old faces and pricing them higher than what THEY’RE already priced at?? ffs please rethink what you’re even doing guys

1 Like

Simply put, this is disappointing.

1 Like

I’ve been on Roblox for a long while and I saw how well the platform evolved into its current state. The game engine changed a lot since the early years and the features it provides are beneficial in game design. Even though it has a lot of issues, the catalog update really brought on that level of creativity players can express. With that said, this update warrants concern more than excitement for me. From what I’ve heard, Roblox seems to be taking a few classic faces off sale to promote the use of these new dynamic faces, which are copies of the off-sale faces. I know that the community should promote innovation, but the player shouldn’t be forced into using these new heads as a substitute for the faces that are currently unavailable, it lowers their general appeal. Also, some face accessories don’t fit well with the dynamic heads since they were made for classic faces, making them unfavorable in avatar creation. I think the concept of these new heads is great for expression, but they should be presented as an option, not a new standard. And I don’t think we should have the classic faces off-sale to start using these new heads. The player landscape is more diverse when people with R15 avatars and dynamic faces co-exist with players that have R6 avatars and classic faces.

1 Like

Those are very valid concerns, but since I’m on a PC without a camera, it doesn’t really affect me. But, if I was using a mobile device, then I agree: That is a major privacy issue.

To expand on your concerns, I have a few questions myself about this new and dubious feature…

1. Where does the analysis take place? Is it on the client or the server? I ask because image analysis is compute intensive which means that it will require a fair amount of computational horsepower to run the image through a neural network. If it’s on the client, then there are issues with performance and battery usage on mobile devices. If it’s on the server, then that leads to other questions like…

2. What does Roblox do with the images? Are they deleted when analysis is complete or are they stored somewhere on the cloud?

3. Are we going to see the advent of facial recognition in Roblox? Bad enough that Apple has facial recognition to log into the device. Are they going to send these images to the CIA, NSA, and/or FBI to invade our privacy? Are they going to have players be placed onto some watch list because of the game they play?

4. What about the background of the images? There are other things in the images besides someone’s face. The background of the image can have lots of information in them, such as someone in a “compromising” position and not paying attention to a kid playing a game. Roblox can use something like this to leverage someone…like a politician.

This is a kids platform and this is a major invasion of privacy. Kids don’t know any better. I would make it so only an adult can enable this feature since kids do not really have the mental capacity to make an informed decision about something like this.

Is it fancy? Yes. Is it cool? No doubt about it. But this is a major gateway into spying on someone. Bad enough we have our smart TVs watching us. This is part of the reason why I do not use voice chat. You can hear things in the background.

Stop development of this feature and can it.

6 Likes

For anyone saying that they will remove Classic Heads. Unless I am missing something, please re-read this section. Again, I might be missing something so feel free to correct me if I am wrong on anything here, but you can still use “Classic Shirts” and “Classic Pants” so why not Classic Heads?

Also, if you don’t want an animated face, that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be an option for others. Yes, I agree real-time animation needs to be a toggle that can be changed in-game (like mute in chat with voice). But think of the chat with voice feature. You can opt out at any time. I expect real-time facial animation will use the same method.
Worst case, it that you need to get some tape and put it on your camera :laughing:

(If you can’t tell, I like animated faces)

Not necessarily removing, instead taking them off sale (mostly classic faces and heads).

1 Like

Thank god. Where can I sign for not changing my head?

1 Like

That is a point that I didn’t think about. If classic faces are taken off sale when an animated version is out, I can see why people wouldn’t like this. But again, Classic shirts that have a 3D version are still on sale (as far as I know), for example, I use this Classic Shirt that also has a 3D version. Both of these are still on sale.

There are still too many issues with dynamic heads/faces.

The classic heads allow users to combine classic face decals, whereas dynamic heads are made with a specific head shape and a specific face. The head shapes and positioning don’t really match the same shapes of classic heads (some look too small, others look too high). Fitting accessories to dynamic heads are a hit or miss (either the mouth is too high or too low for a beard). Presumably, the performance may not be favorable if everyone is using dynamic heads, especially on mobile.

There are definitely more issues that the others pointed out, but I can’t remember each and one of them. Classic clothes having a 3D counterpart isn’t the same as classic faces/heads having a 3D version. It can be, but the current versions of these heads and faces are too limiting.

3 Likes

I have joined Roblox in 2017. When I joined Roblox it had it’s very own style which was far away from reality and in my opinion it is how the game got more popular. It looked way different than the games of it’s time.
Later on, when they added Rthro I did not support it as it was an attempt to make the game more like the other games (realistic, more human-looking). But it was still alright because they were not extremely realistic and some of them evem have fit Roblox’s own style.
In a close date they have released their voice chat system and it was still not good for me because it could have been harming people’s privacy like their private talkings to their family members etc.

And now you guys are literally trying to kill people’s privacy and destroy Roblox’s unique style by trying to make Roblox a meta-verse which is close to reality. This update is going to be a failure.

And the last, you guys are not going to listen the community and bring that feature even tho most of the community did not even want to have this feature.

2 Likes

firefox_Yx9mr
this just makes one of my avatars enter NPC mode with that “face of disapproval” being replacement of Err….
when i want it to look like this:
изображение
that - just removes all seriousness from my avatar and it looks weird in overall.
изображение
the text is very relevant to how I feel seeing this face
I KNOW that mood exists and stuff like that. But I just don’t like how it lowers face accessories or completely breaks them.

3 Likes

@EternalEthel Reply messed up, created disjoint post.

DragDetectors are still in beta and they haven’t mentioned anything about VR support.

But if my theory is correct, and they add explicit VR support, it would be the easiest way of making objects in a game physically interactable without having to write code to support different input types (VR, touch, mouse, gamepad).

Of course the user experience would suck if you had to manually pull physical levers on mouse or touch devices every time you wanted to open a door, which is why I think DragDetectors are aimed at VR, …if my theory is correct.

What the…

I still have the faces, you can see it here

Edit: Those pending Robux are from items not related to faces.

Así another user said: they probably do it so that people buy the new dynamic heads

1 Like